Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap Arrow for Occasional Compound Bow Use

• 11-05-2019 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to bulk order some arrows online, (Ali Express, Amazon etc.) that would be suitable for a compound bow. I think the draw weight is around 40lb.

Cheap is good as these are only used for fun with family etc. for informal competitions! And often arrows go missing so don't want to feel guilty if they do.

I've found 31 inch arrows run well in the bow so far.

Much appreciated if any one has any links or suggestions!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What is your experience level in archery? Make sure arrows are spined correctly for the poundage. You may have seen some photos online of what can happen if they aren't.... Let's just say you wouldn't be picking your nose with your bowhand for a long time, if ever. The 'spine' needed will vary with arrow length, with long arrows (31") you will need a reasonably stiff spined shaft. I'm not familiar with arrows for compounds but most cheap shafts are for much lighter poundages. 40# is a reasonable poundage, less so for using a compound due to the let-off but the arrow still has 40# of oomf behind it. That's the lighter end of hunting weight. Your safety measures for 'informal competitions' 'with family' would need to be robust enough. I've found at club that most holes in the background are caused by people 'trying out' compounds and not being able to handle them. Wayward arrows could have some awful complications. Avoid fibreglass shafts, they're dangerous. If you aren't a club member you could consider joining one and benefit from the advice and experience that would be available to you then.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

For cheap and cheerful compound arrows you cant really go wrong with Decathlon 500 series CB arrows. 500 spine would do you grand

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/500-cb-club-arrow-x3-en-s305131.html

Also pre-made Easton Inspire arrows will serve you well. Some people prefer these to the decathlon ones but Im not convinced. Also, the inspire comes in a huge range of spines, points etc which makes buying for a complete beginner intimidating.

Available from practically every online archery shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

For cheap and cheerful compound arrows you cant really go wrong with Decathlon 500 series CB arrows. 500 spine would do you grand

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/500-cb-club-arrow-x3-en-s305131.html

Also pre-made Easton Inspire arrows will serve you well. Some people prefer these to the decathlon ones but Im not convinced. Also, the inspire comes in a huge range of spines, points etc which makes buying for a complete beginner intimidating.

Available from practically every online archery shop

Thanks, I'm looking though for something even cheaper! I know a lot on this board would say you can't go cheaper as you are all so into
    the sport. Which I understand.

But we will regularly loose arrows into long grass (our land, don't worry, safe!)

So I need something cheap cheap, maybe from the far east etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

so you're into fiberglass arrow price range..

Stuff like this is cheap and will work, 500 - ish spine ( the spines on cheap arrows are wildly inaccurate)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32729095906.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.36.6f9783c7ebertW&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_5_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=84366b88-3e42-4542-847e-5c7d9302e62a-7&algo_pvid=84366b88-3e42-4542-847e-5c7d9302e62a&transAbTest=ae803_3

Thing is these can and do break. You NEED to bend test these often ( basically take the arrow and bend it and see if it splinters or makes any weird noises or feels off)

Also note nearly all arrows in this price range on aliexpress or wish etc are fiberglass even if advertised as carbon.

Personally ive had these types of arrow break on me a few times when shooting. I was gifted a dozen of these recently and I think 3 are still intact. This is without them hitting rocks or walls etc. Therefore I do not recommend using fiberglass arrows in general but thats all you can get in this pricerange.

Advertisement