Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I paid £200 for my HD650s in 2009. Fantastic headphones, really wish I got to use them more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Hi have pair of Sennheiser HD 660s, streaming music from iPhone which kinda bottlenecks sound, any recommendations on a DAP was in HiFihut and they pushing the Fiio X5?

skankles wrote: »
    Hi have pair of Sennheiser HD 660s, streaming music from iPhone which kinda bottlenecks sound, any recommendations on a DAP was in HiFihut and they pushing the Fiio X5?

This is what i use with my HD650's when on PC. Have them paired to my Marantz separates when listening to music.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisound-M3-headphone-Decoder-Amplifier/dp/B01HGYOO54/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1535699157&sr=8-10&keywords=smsl+mini

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

skankles wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Portable-Resolution-Music-Player/dp/B0743H8SX1/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Can't recommend it enough (check the negative reviews and you will see the majority have nothing to do with either this DAP or it's functions as such (1 star because they didn't like the web browser ?? :rolleyes: ).
    Sound quality is fantastic, great storage capacity capability, not compatible with Apple Music if that's your thing but Spotify/Plex/Neutron/Jriver Gizmo all work fine.
    You can also use it as a DAC, either standalone or connected to your PC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Was just watching Z reviews review of the $150 Sennhieser HD 58X jubilees which are basically 660's they are actually made in Ireland like the 660's if it's $15 to ship would you get hit much in relation to custom charges does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Just ordered a pair of Sony H.ear On 2's. Anyone have a pair?

Sent em' back. Ordered the xM3's instead.

Have added a set of AKG K702's to my collection. Man do they sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Picked up a pair of the famous Koss KSC75, clip on earphones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koss-KSC75-Ear-Hook-Headphones-Black-Gray/391849366623?hash=item5b3c0ad45f:g:9WMAAOSwwn9ZeKR4:rk:1:pf:0

71iXEBqumJL._SX466_.jpg

I had been looking some years back for these but they seemed to be discontiued. Of all the highly regarded cheap earphones I ever bought these are by far of the highest sound quality for the price. Would you believe they have 45mm drivers. Fantastic soundstage and great overall quality.

They don't block out any sound so not optimal in town but if your into going for walks in quieter areas and wish to travel light rather than take bulky headphones with you and still have a great audio experience these are great for that.

I actually bought them specifically for jogging because of the clips which are very comfortable and secure and also because I don't like jogging with those inear bluetooth yokes cause I don't feel safe not being able to hear my surroundings. But since they totally lived up to their reputation sound quality wise I'll be using them for more than just jogging.

Edit: Not for the fashion conscious :)

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote:
    Edit: Not for the fashion conscious

They are chic compared to the portapros

tedpan wrote: »
    They are chic compared to the portapros

And from what I've read though can't vouch for it they sound better than the protaporos as well. Never fancied the portapros myself.

AllForIt wrote: »
    And from what I've read though can't vouch for it they sound better than the protaporos as well. Never fancied the portapros myself.

Decent deal then..

I love my OnePlus 6T but miss using my Sennheiser IE8s, so bought this. Should arrive in a week, anyone have any experience of the BTR1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Have added a set of AKG K702's to my collection. Man do they sound good.

Do they need to be amped?

limnam wrote: »
    Do they need to be amped?

They're 62ohm's so would benefit from it. I have a SMSL M3 and also a Fiio EK10 and they sound top notch through both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

tedpan wrote: »
    Decent deal then..

I love my OnePlus 6T but miss using my Sennheiser IE8s, so bought this. Should arrive in a week, anyone have any experience of the BTR1?

I've the BTR3 and I love it. Good sound and battery life. Only downside is that the mic is a bit crap and I'm not gone on the button layout.

Paired it with TinAudio T2's and a short MCXX cable for less fuss. Using Deezer HQ on a phone with Bluetooth 5.0. Not sure if I'm getting any codec benefits from using the newer amp.

Figured it was audio overhaul time again. I've been using Jriver for Local and Spotify for streaming into a Matrix X-Sabre DAC and Stax SRS-323+SR007Mk1 headphone setup for years now.
    Last weekend I configured a trial Roon server and integrated Tidal, and today the new Matrix X-Sabre PRO MQA DAC arrived (yes I really like Matrix-audio :) ).
    Initially I missed the low level control from Jriver but the more minimalist approach in Roon has ultimately been an improvement in that I spend more time just relaxing and listening than playing around with views and tags. Out of sight out of mind helps with my o.c.d/a.d.d... Being able to integrate my local and streaming libraries is also a huge QoL improvement, let alone the quality advantageTidal has over Spotify. Likewise the new DAC is a nice improvement over the old version, definitely warmer and a little more detailed with the same beautiful soundstage.
    Roll on a long weekend for some serious listening sessions (might be some Black Barrel involved too ;) ).

I have to say I'm now an MQA convert. Originally I thought I'd get the MQA edition DAC just to future-proof but there is a definite improvement with letting it render/decode vs. letting Roon do it in software and feed the result as PCM. I've done a few A/B tests: a mix of pop, heavy vocal and instrumental tracks all at 24/96 and MQA processing on the DAC sounds dryer, sharper and clearer which I guess is primarily down to it's time-smear correction. One track in particular had a strong mixed vocal and guitar section that sounded fine first time around on PCM, when I switched back from native MQA to retry the same section it sounded blarey and some definition was lost. I flicked back and forward a few times to be sure but each time the difference was apparent. I'll see about doing some native PCM to MQA edition testing when I can, I'll have to hunt down a matching pair between my local high-res and Tidal. Well, eventually, I'd rather spend the time just listening and trust my ears for now :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm looking to upgrade my DT 770 pro 80 ohms and Fiio E10. I'm thinking of getting the HD660s and a Darkvoice tube amp. I've also been looking at the the DT1990's and the Hifiman Sundara. Has anyone one had any expereance with any of these headphones? Also, would my Fiio E10 work OK as a tepmorary Dac? I was looking at the Schiit Modi 3 to replace that down the road. Thanks

If your going with Sennheiser and based on this video I wouldn't go with the HD660s, I would go with either the HD600, HD650, or what I have the Massdrop HD6xx which has a nicer headband than the other 2. Although higher impedance than the HD660s you can get decent sound from then even using a good smartphone. The Sennsheisers do not have a very wide sound-stage which you might have expected them to have being an open headphone. That would be my only gripe with them but the mids are great and the bass is decent without being overpowering. No exp of the other cans you mentioned.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    If your going with Sennheiser and based on this video I wouldn't go with the HD660s, I would go with either the HD600, HD650, or what I have the Massdrop HD6xx which has a nicer headband than the other 2. Although higher impedance than the HD660s you can get decent sound from then even using a good smartphone. The Sennsheisers do not have a very wide sound-stage which you might have expected them to have being an open headphone. That would be my only gripe with them but the mids are great and the bass is decent without being overpowering. No exp of the other cans you mentioned.

I'm leaning more toward the DT1990 pro's. Massdrop has the DarkVoice amp for sale. Whats it like buying from this site? Warranty and shipping? I'll get cought with tax here on top of that price. https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se?utm_placement=0&referer=EYAKFD&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202019-07-18&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1563430490314.771304659497768573936016

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I've not heard the 660 so don't have too much to add.

But I do have the HD 600's and pair them with Schiit's valhalla and for the price point is hard to beat IMHO.

https://www.schiit.com/products/valhalla-1

I'm leaning more toward the DT1990 pro's. Massdrop has the DarkVoice amp for sale. Whats it like buying from this site? Warranty and shipping? I'll get cought with tax here on top of that price. https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se?utm_placement=0&referer=EYAKFD&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202019-07-18&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1563430490314.771304659497768573936016

Dunno soz, I bought mine here in Ireland, in a CEX store - a lucky find. Brand new too, prolly a unwanted gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Hi lads, just wondering if there are any smartphones that can power high Ohm headphones? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hi lads, just wondering if there are any smartphones that can power high Ohm headphones? Thanks.

LG G7?

Or maybe get an external DAC and use it with any phone

My new phone is a LG V20. The dac on it is fabulous. You can pick one up on alliexpress, a referb, for about €90. More than worth it for a portable dac alone. 64 GB of internal memory and sd card support up to 512 GB for your high-rez files. One of the last fones produced with a removable battery.

What I find is that the high impedance makes all the difference thus even 128k resolution streaming services from free radio apps to spotify sound still very good with my HD6XX.

To get the best out of it with your high-rez files you'd need an app called https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_IE

Just picked up a pair of Fidelio X2HR's to add to my collection. Looking forward to giving them a workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Just picked up a pair of Fidelio X2HR's to add to my collection. Looking forward to giving them a workout.

Tempted by them as well.

Tempted by them as well.

Just listened to a few records with them there. Such a lovely well balanced sound.
    Think it's tied between my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's and them.

Go for it. Great price on Amazon and doubt it will last for much longer.

• Advertisement

The massdrop 6xx are now avaible on their EU Audiophile Collection https://drop.com/all-communities/drops/european-audiophile-collection
    They ship from in the EU so no import tax.

Just pick up a pair for €251. I was going to go with the DT1990 so, hopefully I made the right choice. I want to get a tube Amp and the 6xx are suppose to be a good match.

Advertisement