Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rights question

• 29-04-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can someone use a photo that I took (photo of a scenery) in their online article without asking me for a permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Joannap wrote: »
    Can someone use a photo that I took (photo of a scenery) in their online article without asking me for a permission?

No. You own the copyright to photos you took.

Where did they get your photo from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Joannap

Bacchus wrote: »
    No. You own the copyright to photos you took.

Where did they get your photo from?
    Thanks for the response!

They took it from my instagram. It does mention my instagram nickname as a person who took the pictures but I still feel that they should have asked me.

What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Joannap wrote:
    What should I do?

Send them an invoice, then a demand for payment of they don't pay.

Heebie wrote: »
    Send them an invoice, then a demand for payment of they don't pay.

I don't know if you are serious or joking but I don't own a company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you don't need to own a company to demand payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You don't need to own a company to send an invoice.

you don't need to own a company to demand payment.

I emailed them asking why they didn't contact me to ask for permission.
    They replied that "the usual procedure with Instagram is that the photos posted publicly are perfectly fine to reshare once the account is embedded or credited."
    I'm not sure what that means...
    They also offered to remove my pics..

Posting your photo on instagram did not give them any right to use it.

Have you taken a screenshot of their webpage with your photo?

Let them know that even though they are taking down the photo you are still charging for the usage so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

They replied that "the usual procedure with Instagram is that the photos posted publicly are perfectly fine to reshare once the account is embedded or credited."

Reusing your photo and crediting it is nothing more than a courtesy. They still do not have your permission. You can ask them to remove it or seek payment.

If they did it with an image from Getty Images just taking it down wouldn't be enough (speaking from experience when someone posted the wrong image some years ago, we negotiated the fee down from 400 to 200 I think, lesson learned.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

By posting the photo to Instagram you enter an agreement with certains terms and conditions. The user grants Instagram a “non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use their content”.

So Instagram can also sub-licence your content, without seeking permission.

Probably doesn't affect this particular case, but good to be aware of what exactly Instagram and other social media companies are up to:
    http://theconversation.com/ten-things-you-should-know-about-instagrams-terms-of-use-102800

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

JohnFalstaff
    That's an eye-opener and very scary I never knew this, it will make me think twice about using there platform in future, no that my pics are good enough to be used but I am the one who invested money in equipment and makes the effort to go and shoot the images for them to take control with no financial recompense.
    Thanks for the information ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Probably doesn't affect this particular case
    there's no 'probably' - it doesn't. instagram know people would flee the platform in droves if it started selling user content, they claim all those rights as an ass covering exercise.

Thanks for that John. It's an interesting article and an eye opener. Maybe we all should start reading terms and conditions.. haha

I do feel proud that my pictures were featured but it would have been nice to be asked...
    I guess all I can do now is to ask them to mention my full name (not the nickname) under the pictures so that at least I get some credit for it and some free advertisement...

I'm not even a professional photographer.. haha. Maybe I should think about changing jobs!

Thanks for that John. It's an interesting article and an eye opener. Maybe we all should start reading terms and conditions.. haha

I do feel proud that my pictures were featured but it would have been nice to be asked...
    I guess all I can do now is to ask them to mention my full name (not the nickname) under the pictures so that at least I get some credit for it and some free advertisement...

In this situation, you are well within your rights to pursue them for compensation.

In this situation, you are well within your rights to pursue them for compensation.

Okay then I must have misunderstood what you said... I thought that Instagram can sub-licence your content, without seeking permission and I can't seek compensation? Sorry if I'm being stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

By posting the photo to Instagram you enter an agreement with certains terms and conditions. The user grants Instagram a “non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use their content”.

So Instagram can also sub-licence your content, without seeking permission.

Probably doesn't affect this particular case, but good to be aware of what exactly Instagram and other social media companies are up to:
    http://theconversation.com/ten-things-you-should-know-about-instagrams-terms-of-use-102800
    This doesn't apply here as the site's stance that it gave credit tells us Instagram did not sub-licence it. Send them a bill even if they remove it.

Also the linked article says what they can do which is different to what they do do. It is also a standard in terms and conditions of loads of sites and this site has the exact same terms. [ Half way down https://www.boards.ie/content/terms?site=desktop ] If a site were to exploit IP in the manner suggested they'd have a right PR problem on their hands.

Okay then I must have misunderstood what you said... I thought that Instagram can sub-licence your content, without seeking permission and I can't seek compensation? Sorry if I'm being stupid!

Not at all!

I was highlighting the tricky legal situation that exists in relation to content uploaded to Instagram.

I don't know all the exact details of your current situation, but I would guess that whoever is using your picture has not received any sort of licence or permission from Instagram, or anyone else, and has instead just used your image without permission because they liked the look of it and thought they could get away with using it for nothing.

If it's your photo, you are still the owner of the image, and you can charge them for using it or ask them to credit you.

Thanks for all the answers ! :-) I'm still unsure what to do. Sending them an invoice seems a little bit harsh.. although tempting! Haha
    Out of curiosity.. what would you charge per picture on average..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Send them an invoice for usage €50-100,
    Taking an image from online doesn’t mean it’s free to use, I don’t know the terms and conditions of Instagram but on twitter there is previous case law - twitters terms and conditions allow for the images to be retweeted and shared in the twitter sphere but not to be removed from twitter and used elsewhere, I assume Instagram would be similar.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-media-copyright-twitter/photographer-wins-1-2-million-from-companies-that-took-pictures-off-twitter-idUSBRE9AL16F20131122

If you need help with doing the invoice or want me to help contact them and explain to them that they have to pay up ...it’s not a problem - I have done this multiple times over the years, it’s extremely irritating and time consuming, often for little reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Thanks for all the answers ! :-) I'm still unsure what to do. Sending them an invoice seems a little bit harsh.. although tempting! Haha

In general the fee is based on the usage, these are approximates for usage... a national newspaper is generally around €75 for print edition, newspaper online edition (€50 but sometimes print and online deal can be done), online websites €50ish, local newspaper €20-50, free sheet newspaper €20-25, magazine €150, sunday paper €100, tv usage €100per calendar day.

The above are guidelines and are per usage fees if they use the image a second time then a second invoice for the same fee would apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Use the guidelines above. There should also be an added fee for usage without prior permission, say 50 - 100%

Total bullsh*t and with that arrogant and blatant lie I'd be even more inclined to pursue them for compensation. They did not have your permission, you are the copyright holder, they have no rights to use your photo without your permission. Cheeky f*ckers, making money off your back (and no doubt many others whose work they stole).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoshN1

I think it's the best decision!

Send them an invoice for usage €50-100,
    Taking an image from online doesn’t mean it’s free to use, I don’t know the terms and conditions of Instagram but on twitter there is previous case law - twitters terms and conditions allow for the images to be retweeted and shared in the twitter sphere but not to be removed from twitter and used elsewhere, I assume Instagram would be similar.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-media-copyright-twitter/photographer-wins-1-2-million-from-companies-that-took-pictures-off-twitter-idUSBRE9AL16F20131122

If you need help with doing the invoice or want me to help contact them and explain to them that they have to pay up ...it’s not a problem - I have done this multiple times over the years, it’s extremely irritating and time consuming, often for little reward.

Okay guys you convinced me! :-) Irishphotodesk thanks a million for offering help. I will send you a pm as I'm unsure how to issue an invoice without having VAT reg nr.

Guess what... I found another article (from a radio station) using my photo as well....

It's like whack-a-mole :D

That sucks and hopefully shows you why it's important to get what's due when this happens. Easy enough to say "ah it's no big deal" when it happens once... but all those invoices add up. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's like whack-a-mole :D

That sucks and hopefully shows you why it's important to get what's due when this happens. Easy enough to say "ah it's no big deal" when it happens once... but all those invoices add up. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. Will do :-)
    I never thought that taking a few pictures for fun would bring me here...!

• Advertisement
Advertisement