Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ellee wrote: »
    Any tips for searching ravelry for patterns? I can’t seem to find much I really like... plus the same stuff shows up all the time even though there are 000s apparently?!

You can hit a dropdown to change the order. It automatically shows the most popular patterns but you can change it to show you the most recently added ones. Then you can filter for the yardage, yarn weight, design elements, craft, the item itself, what fibre is used, what sizes it comes in, how many colours are typically used etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Ah thank you! That's immediately thrown up a lovely bobbly cardigan :)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/noisette-cardigan-2

Though I think I will leave out the bow!

ellee wrote: »
    Ah thank you! That's immediately thrown up a lovely bobbly cardigan :)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/noisette-cardigan-2

Though I think I will leave out the bow!

It's gorgeous! Makes me jealous of knitters when I see things like that! Ravelry is a gem, but it takes some getting used to! The amount of filters is mental, but I usually log on once a week with a cuppa while the kids are in school and just look at all the patterns in my craft starting with the newest, to see if there's anything interesting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

Can anyone help me with this pattern: it says "turn work, cast on 10 stitches, turn work, knit 8" what does this mean?

If I cast on 10 stitches there are only 6 stitches left not 8. Is it meant to be a hole in the work?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

it sounds like it's creating some kind of a loop or hole design. I'd follow it as it says, turn, cast on 10. turn again and when you're knitting the 8, you'll be knitting 8 of the 10 cast on stitches. There should be 2 cast-on stitches from previous round left on your needle.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    it sounds like it's creating some kind of a loop or hole design. I'd follow it as it says, turn, cast on 10. turn again and when you're knitting the 8, you'll be knitting 8 of the 10 cast on stitches. There should be 2 cast-on stitches from previous round left on your needle.

Thanks. I thought it meant to cast on 10 to the right needle. So you can’t knit them. Does it mean cast on to the left needle? Sorry this is confusing

Usually you cast on onto the knitting needle, e.g. right needle if you're right handed. These stitches become part of your stitch-count and for all intents and purposes are considered part of your normal stitches unless told otherwise.
    You're probably forgetting to turn your work, if you cast on 10 and then turn, then the 10 stitches will be on the left needle and you have to use them with your right needle when you start the next row.

Usually you cast on onto the knitting needle, e.g. right needle if you're right handed. These stitches become part of your stitch-count and for all intents and purposes are considered part of your normal stitches unless told otherwise.
    You're probably forgetting to turn your work, if you cast on 10 and then turn, then the 10 stitches will be on the left needle and you have to use them with your right needle when you start the next row.

Just to clarify, it says “knit 9 turn work cast on 10 and knit 8”. So if you turn work after knitting 9 you cast on to your left needle (from the back view) when you turn back you have 10 new stitches on the right needle. So how can you knit them? Unless you cast on to the left needle

Thanks for your help !

pearl787 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with this pattern: it says "turn work, cast on 10 stitches, turn work, knit 8" what does this mean?
    sorry, in your original post you said the instructions require "turn work" between the cast-ons and the knit 8.

If there is no "turn work" there, then yes, as you say you're knitting 8 of the 9 stitches you knit in the previous round. The 10 cast on stitches must be used somehow for the pattern visually or something functional like a buttonhole...

sorry, in your original post you said the instructions require "turn work" between the cast-ons and the knit 8.

If there is no "turn work" there, then yes, as you say you're knitting 8 of the 9 stitches you knit in the previous round. The 10 cast on stitches must be used somehow for the pattern visually or something functional like a buttonhole...

I guess it is a hole then sure I’ll keep knitting and see what comes out . Thanks

• Advertisement

Does anyone have experience taking knitting on a plane? Worried it will be taken off me lol. I'm going to bring spare needles in my luggage

pearl787 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience taking knitting on a plane? Worried it will be taken off me lol. I'm going to bring spare needles in my luggage

Not knitting, but crochet. I've done it several times with no issue, although some people have reported their needles were taken off them. The best thing to do is have a live project on the needles so they can see you actually use them. Feed a lifeline through the stitches so if you have to remove the needles, you can just tie the string and put it back on needles when you land :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Not knitting, but crochet. I've done it several times with no issue, although some people have reported their needles were taken off them. The best thing to do is have a live project on the needles so they can see you actually use them. Feed a lifeline through the stitches so if you have to remove the needles, you can just tie the string and put it back on needles when you land :o
    I've taken knitting project on a detachable cable with the needles in a pencil case with pens. So they can be attached or removed as needed. Also, with the pens no one noticed the needles. I didn't use it during flight though

ShaShaBear wrote: »

I'm using circular needles, as someone said they are less likely to be taken. I have about an inch of work done on it. Fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've flown to multiple countries with my knitting, no problems. My bag will usually get taken for a secondary search, cause wires and pointy things, but once they see it's knitting - and I've got a live project and/or yarn, it's find. I need to get a proper size snips though, I've lost four scissors for being slightly too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

hi,
    head bender here:
    Decrease 1 st at end of next and 3 foll 3rd rows.

if 'next' is the first row, are the decreases on Rows 4, 7 and 10?

Thank you

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    hi,
    head bender here:
    Decrease 1 st at end of next and 3 foll 3rd rows.

if 'next' is the first row, are the decreases on Rows 4, 7 and 10?

Thank you

that's what I would do. Does it give you a stitch count at the end of x row?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Just a heads up for anyone who has bought patterns on Patternfish. They have closed down but are leaving the site open till June 30th so that customers can save their purchased patterns to their own pc rather than lose access to them permanently. I saved mine to my patterns folder as I've bought quite a few from them over the years and some I would definitely knit again. I find it more difficult to keep track of my printouts than a regular leaflet and this way I can keep them.........at least until my computer dies! I'm going to miss them as they kept a brilliant choice of patterns with a really good way of searching for what you want. Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Hi all,
    Just wondering if you can point me in the right direction. My mum used to knit when we were little and was quite proficient at it, knitting us clothes and jumpers for herself. I'm expecting my first baby and my mum wants to knit a cardigan for baby, however I ordered a couple of patterns and they are not as straightforward as she would like.
    Where could I get or buy a very simple pattern? I've looked but they may as well be double Dutch to me and require skills she has not used in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Have you had a look at ravelry.com? It's usually a decent place to have a look and there are good few free patterns as well. I crochet rather than knit, but I've always found it handy.

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    Have you had a look at ravelry.com? It's usually a decent place to have a look and there are good few free patterns as well. I crochet rather than knit, but I've always found it handy.

Thanks. I'll check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if you can point me in the right direction. My mum used to knit when we were little and was quite proficient at it, knitting us clothes and jumpers for herself. I'm expecting my first baby and my mum wants to knit a cardigan for baby, however I ordered a couple of patterns and they are not as straightforward as she would like.
    Where could I get or buy a very simple pattern? I've looked but they may as well be double Dutch to me and require skills she has not used in years.

Woman's own sometimes do patterns. Home focus at hickeys do them and most craft shops sell them too. You can also have a look at you tube there are some free and printable patterns there too.

Congrats in the baby btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all,

I also recommend Ravelry, you'll find reviews of patterns and wool and also any updated corrections which is great. Another thing I like is that other knitters/crocheters upload photos of their projects too, so all good. I'm more into crochet though. Congratulations on the happy event. Just to say when I was preggers with my first I did a lot of crochet whilst keeping my feet up! It just might be a good opportunity for you to learn from your mum!! :)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I also recommend Ravelry, you'll find reviews of patterns and wool and also any updated corrections which is great. Another thing I like is that other knitters/crocheters upload photos of their projects too, so all good. I'm more into crochet though. Congratulations on the happy event. Just to say when I was preggers with my first I did a lot of crochet whilst keeping my feet up! It just might be a good opportunity for you to learn from your mum!! :)
    That's the plan. Although I'm have been told to practice 😂 I never knit before so I'm just learning to knit and purl. I'll have a good look at ravelry tomorrow so hoping to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the site I like for baby patterns is Garn Studio. Their patterns are for all skill levels and all free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Practice with stuff your interested in. I learned how to do basic crochet in school, I loved it, but never kept it up. That was till I was pregnant with my first and took a notion that I wanted to make her something, she got a baby blanket she still loves. When that was finished I also made a cardigan, hat and mittens for her going home outfit. Now I can't leave the crochet hook down (although time is short) and I've made similar items for my second child, blankets for friends babies and I took a notion to make stuff for our wedding. I managed to make all 4 bouquets, button hole thingys for all in the wedding party, table centres and my eldests Cardigan she wore for the wedding. I'm currently trying to make some Christmas decorations. Almost every project is an opportunity to try a different stitch, pattern, method or try my hand at free handing something. It can be addictive ;-)

Be warned though - the art of knitting or crochet comes hand-in-hand with the secondary hobby of yarn hoarding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yarn hording, or wool lust, is a skill all on its own. You can successfully acquire boxes full of yarn that will never become a garment or object, and a real sign of the genuine horder is the presence of single balls of gorgeous yarn that you just had to have one of, even though one ball is rarely enough to do anything useful with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

looksee wrote: »
    Yarn hording, or wool lust, is a skill all on its own. You can successfully acquire boxes full of yarn that will never become a garment or object, and a real sign of the genuine horder is the presence of single balls of gorgeous yarn that you just had to have one of, even though one ball is rarely enough to do anything useful with.

This is why I'm a sock knitter! You can generally get two socks out of a ball of yarn, it just means teeny tiny needles

• Advertisement

This is why I'm a sock knitter! You can generally get two socks out of a ball of yarn, it just means teeny tiny needles

I may have to take up this skill for appearances sake. I made up a little knitted shawl kit as a gift to someone going through a rough time and when my husband asked where I got the yarn because hadn't seen it before, I hadn't the heart to tell him I bought it on our honeymoon.

We're married three years.

Advertisement