Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia 8110

• 20-05-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭

So I rolled back the years and ditched the smartphone....for a, well a less smart phone. not sure how long i'lll last, but figured I would give it a go for a while anyway

First thing I noticed is the apps. there are quite a few on there, twitter, youtube, google some games, maps..... honestly, I was disappointed to find this as I expected a basic phone. And it seems impossible to remove these apps :(

apparently depending on what version you have, whats app is available. the only app I would actually like on the phone, but I can't get it on mine.

I used to love 2 things about the old nokias, neither of them available anymore.
    you could set a few different ringing profiles, eg loud, silent, vibrate, normal etc. a quick press of the power button could toggle through them to set it at whichever one you required. changing the ringing volume now is quite cumbersome, far from a simple quick process and no longer able to preset profiles.

you could set an alarm, switch your phone off and it would still sound the alarm when the time arrived. no more. phone has to be on now for alarms to sound.

on top of not having these 2 features anymore, I find the following also has changed.

texting, every time you write something, it seems to reset the text input to a default of single letters despite me keeping on setting it back to predictive. you have to change it every time :(

Bluetooth. it will not connect to my car automatically, I have to go in and connect it manually everytime

there is a shortcuts menu, but you cant edit it. it would be nice to have the wifi sharing in there

these are just some of my observations, figured I would share them in case anyone is interested in making a similar move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Did ye ever get WhatsApp working? Thinking of getting this for a senior citizen who is struggling with a smart phone even with one of those reduced senior friendly launchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes what’s app now on the latest up just since this week.
    It’s not the best, but it works fine
    Won’t download or give option to download old conversations, I’m not to bothered about that though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What's battery life like? 2 days or 7 days etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s at least a few days with a full charge, depends I guess how much you use it. It is slow to charge though so I never seem to get it up to full. Has only died on me once though and that’s just cause I keep forgetting to plug it in!

Advertisement