Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to find out about National Broadband Scheme

• 10-04-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

We have found a house we love but it's very rural and doesn't currently have fibre broadband (as with most houses in the areas we like)
    The eircode is marked on the NBI scheme as "inside intervention area" but thats all the info I can find. Is there any way of finding out a rough estimate of when it may become available?

We rented a house 8 years ago that was marked as the same and still no BB out there so just don't want to buy a house and be waiting a decade for broadband.

The broadband is the biggest thing that's holding us back from bidding so any way to find out more would be greatly appreciated.
    I know you can get satellite etc but the quality isn't ever as good and much more expensive per month. We will be paying a hefty mortgage payment so massive monthly BB bills would be tough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

We tried to get similar info to no avail. Our own house in suburban Dublin hasn't got it. But the town was one of the pilot towns. Unfortunately not everywhere was done, parts of main st not done and it seemed to stop an estate or two before ours. But an enquiry just let to it should be done at some point. No idea if 2 or 10 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Have you checked your Eircode in this site?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5634d-national-broadband-plan-map/

As well as NBI info, it will tell you if commercial operators are offering services. In particular there's the little known OpenEir Rural scheme called "Rural 300k" that extends fibre from the various kerbside boxes. It doesn't appear on the main Eir broadband site, but you will find it on the .gov.ie one above and on this:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

It will specifically show you your house and whether it can or will be able to connect.

Either browse around the map, or key in the Eircode (and click when the Eircode resolves to the postal address). That how I verified the 500 metre deadend lane we are on with grass down the middle had functioning Gigabit broadband fibre cable on the poles outside the door. I had suspected when I saw the light new cable and the plastic brackets with a few coils of cable every tenth pole or so. I got my neighbour to subscribe (she was going crazy with Imagine and Aptus both losing connection when the leaves grew on the trees) and now she has the 150MBps for €30 per month intro deal, and is as happy as a pig in manure. Nobody else in the area is connected - nobody has been promoting it - dunno why.

It's odd - this option does not turn up on the Eir main site, or the comparison websites. However the Vodafone "check your availability" site does find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

That's great info, thanks a million. I will look into it. Imagine definitely do offer broadband out there (I've been asking around) and it's quite good apparently but I'd still rather 'proper' broadband.
    I did the Eircode in the NBI alright and it just said 'inside intervention area' but that's a very broad statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

pooch90 wrote: »
    We have found a house we love but it's very rural and doesn't currently have fibre broadband (as with most houses in the areas we like)
    The eircode is marked on the NBI scheme as "inside intervention area" but thats all the info I can find. Is there any way of finding out a rough estimate of when it may become available?

Email them, they're pretty helpful! Once it's been surveyed they give you a timeline but they might be able to ballpark it for you. We're scheduled for August-October this year and they're currently laying it so it's moving along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

I thought about it, just not sure would they give me the info when I'm not the house owner but I might chance it and see. Have contacted EA about a second viewing so hopefully things work out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement