Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weanling injured

• 08-04-2021 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Well lads, was weighing weanlings as part of the beep scheme yday. One 8 month old bull ran straight up the crush and ran head first into the head gate. He was grand, stood up and got weighed. Ran back with the rest into the slatted shed. Today he is stumbling and can’t stand. I have him out in the yard. I reckon a brain or spinal injury - can’t get near him to inspect or inject him. Anything like this happened ye? Recovery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Poor thing. Im of no use to you but, you said you have him in a yard. I'd say keep him in the small confined area for the time being so that he dosnt have to do too much moving about, and leave some companions with him.
    Is he eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

RD10 wrote: »
    Poor thing. Im of no use to you but, you said you have him in a yard. I'd say keep him in the small confined area for the time being so that he dosnt have to do too much moving about, and leave some companions with him.
    Is he eating?
    Ya eating away at silage but I’m throwing it at him. I can’t get near him as he is charging, would like to get him onto soft grass but he’s dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Well lads, was weighing weanlings as part of the beep scheme yday. One 8 month old bull ran straight up the crush and ran head first into the head gate. He was grand, stood up and got weighed. Ran back with the rest into the slatted shed. Today he is stumbling and can’t stand. I have him out in the yard. I reckon a brain or spinal injury - can’t get near him to inspect or inject him. Anything like this happened ye? Recovery?

Where u based theres a bone setter in westmeath that saved a heifer with a broken leg for me if your near there I'd give him a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭148multi

I'd get vet first just incase he has meningitis, any blood from the nostrils, some place well beded with a few round bales around the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

He could have a fractured skull and some kind of brain injury. I don't know what you can do, a shot for pain relief and inflammation and an antibiotic would help if you can restrain him but that doesn't sound easy done.
    Have you consulted with your vet?

• Advertisement

Ya I had the vet out but all we could do is look at him and speculate. He gave me anti inflammatories so that if he is standing tomorrow I can inject him. If he doesn’t make it that’s a good chunk from the beep money gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Could be meningitis alright.

Would meningitis come on as fast as 18 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭148multi

Would meningitis come on as fast as 18 hours?

Would he have a touch of it when you were weighing, a few round bales rolled up beside him, might get you near him, pain can drive an animal silly, be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d be working out how you could get rid of a lad like him. Had a similar case about 10 years ago. He had some type of brain injury or possibly meningitis either but he charged and knocked down a neighbour- very lucky escape. I found him dead in the yard (the weanling, not the neighbour) the next morning and I was actually relieved.

Better be safe than sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Surely the problem arises from the bang on the head.

Couldn't then be meningitis or anything infectious.

Was in the yard this evening and from around the corner heard a calf roaring.

Left it for a while but the roaring continued so investigated. This two month old calf had the hook part of a rusted clasp stuck inside his cheek and was kicking and pulling - driving it further in. Restrained him with difficulty and took it out; it had not gotten through the skin. Was about 2" from corner of mouth; obviously he had been sucking/ fiddling with it.

Was one of those snap things for tying/closing chains; the closing portion was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd get him to a deep freeze tomorrow, hell only kill himself otherwaie

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

That’s fierce tough luck , hope u get sorted , U nearly say it’s from the belt in the head , a concussion I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's hard to know what to do with him. Doubt if it's meningitis. Knock on the head is the obvious reason.

You know yourself if you ever got a knock on the head, it would be sore for a few days, but grand then after.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ya get him inside and bit of pain relief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How’s he today?

Sorry haven’t got back sooner. He’s as bad as ever, still trying to stand but stumbling. Charging at me whenever I try to get near with water or nuts. It’s a tough game farming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I'd get him to a deep freeze tomorrow, hell only kill himself otherwaie

Would stress affect the meat?

Neighbour came up and using the tongs we or him injected and a halter put on him. Give everything a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would stress affect the meat?

Make a lot of mince , who would know the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Go and buy a bottle or two of cheap vodka. Get a bit of molasses and put it in a half barrell. Shut off ihs access to water. This will sedate a bit him when he drinks it. It may allow you a chance to for e him into a more confined area. As well it may allow you to inject him with anti-inflammatories.

You will not nee much molasses. If you cannot get that a bag of glucose should work as well. If he drinks it you may not have much time before effects wear off

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If he drinks it you may not have much time before effects wear off

... and the hangover begins, making him even crankier.

:)

Heard the same idea years ago, chloral hydrate was used.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

How did things pan out?

Advertisement