Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

31F, concerned I won't get insured

• 28-03-2021 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

I've held a provisional since 2007, but in 2009 moved to Dublin and didn't need to drive. Renewed licence anyway and did some lessons and got a car in 2015, but went through a breakup, had to move house and get rid of car. Started learning again in Feb 2020 and all was put on hold with Covid.

Just tried to do a mock quote on a 1.0 Polo online and I'm not getting anything. Whenever I do start my lessons again, am I going to be prevented from driving completely since nobody wants to insure me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Just tried to do a mock quote on a 1.0 Polo online and I'm not getting anything. Whenever I do start my lessons again, am I going to be prevented from driving completely since nobody wants to insure me?
    You can get insurance it's just that you will likely have to pay a higher premium.

There are many factors involved (car age/engine size/model, your location, etc.).

Online systems tend to be for very straightforward quotes.

You are best advised to ring the insurers directly or try a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Do you have a provisional or a full licence? On a provisional you need a full driver with you at all times, otherwise you are breaking the law and not insured.

It's very hard to get a test these days. You need to be an essential.worker.

https://passthetest.ie/unaccompanied-drivers-and-the-law/

If you have a full licence and no recent driving experience you may get quotes in the 1500 to 4000 per year range, if you get a sensible car. After the first year rates should start to drop but you need to shop around a lot and try not to get any claims or penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

I have a provisional and I don't have a car and have never and would never drive unattended.

I think I'd have issues if I tried to get insured on a car with just a provisional so I'll hold out, do more lessons after lockdown, sit the test when ready and get a car only when I have a full licence.

Probably going to take another 2 years at this rate as no instructors are ever available for frequent lessons and certainly not now with huge backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try calling the insurers rather than online quotes, more likely to get a quote that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I think I'd have issues if I tried to get insured on a car with just a provisional

Your are less of a risk than a 17 year old and they can get insured. Aviva used to have/possibly still a deal if you did a certain number of driving lessons with one of their approved instructors.

Other than that, you have 123go, boxymo and AXA who have a box fitted to your car.

Brokers can also be great. Gmib (used to be Gmhd) are excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement