Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v heater

• 26-03-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Looking for a heater that will charge via cigarette light port or usb port.

Any recommendations? I found this on on ebay Just not sure if it any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

What for? Windshield defrost?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wouldn't trust something electrical which costs €7 delivered on eBay from China. I definitely wouldn't be leaving it unattended or sleeping when it's being used.

For an extra €13 or €8 you can get something which is CE and has local support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In the grand scheme of things, 12V just isn't hefty enough to generate significant heat other than in the immediate vicinity of the element. Configured correctly, it can work for giving you hot-heat at a very specific point, like the tip of a soldering iron, or warmish-heat in hand warmers. Beyond that, the vast majority of those 12V heaters are are little more than fans that blow cold air around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I see it's rated at 200 watts, which's roughly equivalent to four headlight bulbs, a battery won't last long when running that yolk if the engine isn't running.

haha 200W appliance on a 150W plug that I personally rate as a 30W recepticle...what could possibly go wrong?!

As a rule of thumb in a van, if you want heat..burn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

haha 200W appliance on a 150W plug that I personally rate as a 30W recepticle...what could possibly go wrong?!

This will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They're rated for 100-200W, depending on the manufacturer.
    You can power compressors and small vacuum cleaners off them. Personally I wouldn't want to pull that for more than 5 minutes.

You won't get much heat from a 150W heater, not unless you have your hands right on it (think of two old lightbulbs)
    Most of the van lifers use diesel heaters, with the intake and exhaust plumbed through the floor of the van. These are serious heat, this one 5 kilowatts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JB7QZWZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5PFXCNMPGYJ7PK0V1BXY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    They're rated for 100-200W, depending on the manufacturer.

They don't meet their rating!
    Ratings in automotive are not like domestic. There's no acountability, watchdogs or governing bodies in automotive. Hardly anything you buy for a camper meets specification.

As I say they're a 30W (2A) receptacle.
    A high impedance steel sprung contact riding a fuse with a minisicule contact surface area for high current loads in high vibration applications. They can't do it.
    I've never had a 12v laptop plug I didn't melt. I swap them for Hella, Din.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

markmoto wrote: »
    What for? Windshield defrost?

It is to heat campervan. Only the 12v sockets work when on leisure battery. When connected to mains supply everything else works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It is to heat campervan.

Not a hope.

Unless it's one of these! :pac:

$_84.JPG

• Advertisement

My camper has a 2500W heater in the form of a Wood burning stove.

I'm putting a 5kW hydronic in the truck with a 2kW backup diesel air heater.

The heat losses of a well-insulated vessel are probably 500W with a 15° delta.

12V is not the way to go it'll end up costing you part of the electrical system and not do much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

120W at 12V is 10 amps it will kill your battery over night and it's nowhere near enough to heat the van. You can get chinese copies of diesel heaters that run off 12V and burn diesel but you might need to get somebody to fit as well.

Like this one (don't know the seller)
    https://www.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/dc-12v-5kw-air-diesel-parking-heater-with-remote-control/22924718

120W at 12V is 10 amps it will kill your battery over night and it's nowhere near enough to heat the van. You can get chinese copies of diesel heaters that run off 12V and burn diesel but you might need to get somebody to fit as well.

Like this one (don't know the seller)
    https://www.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/dc-12v-5kw-air-diesel-parking-heater-with-remote-control/22924718

I linked the same above from Amazon, but cheaper.

I own this one, which is exactly the same, except everything is assembled into an enclosure.
    It takes about 10A for 5 mins to get warmed up, so make sure your batteries can deliver this.
    : https://www.amazon.co.uk/maXpeedingrods-5KW-8KW-Diesel-Display-Motor-Home/dp/B08N6GHRJ2/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=diesel+air+heater&qid=1617020601&s=automotive&sr=1-27

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I linked the same above from Amazon, but cheaper.

I own this one, which is exactly the same, except everything is assembled into an enclosure.
    It takes about 10A for 5 mins to get warmed up, so make sure your batteries can deliver this.
    : https://www.amazon.co.uk/maXpeedingrods-5KW-8KW-Diesel-Display-Motor-Home/dp/B08N6GHRJ2/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=diesel+air+heater&qid=1617020601&s=automotive&sr=1-27

Is the pump noisy a friend has one and it ticks very loudly. My van has a propex gas heater do no pump

Is the pump noisy a friend has one and it ticks very loudly. My van has a propex gas heater do no pump

Mine is hidden in a unit.
    It ticks loudly at the start for maybe 2 minutes, then you can't hear it. I have it ducted to vents on the kickboard of my kitchen. You can just about hear the fan when it's warmed up.

The propex ones are decent, but they're a bit more expensive than the one I linked.

120W at 12V is 10 amps it will kill your battery over night

That depends on the size of yer battery. :p

vMVGfMH.jpg

]

True, you'd get about 4 days out of those yokes, but you still won't heat the van:pac:

vMVGfMH.jpg

Is your van made of bricks

That's only 1/4 of it. :pac:
    7.5ton GVM baby! :p

• Advertisement

The penny dropped hours later...nah I'm just keeping the battery on trickle in storage as a backup system for the house. It'll power the gaff for a day, immersion, electric cooker the works with a helping hand from 2.5kW of solar.

I'm keeping it outtov the way while I break ground on the conversion. It'll do the same job after I relocate it to the truck but the solar on the truck will be grid-tied.

83DTC7H.jpg

Advertisement