Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric gates.

• 24-03-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been answered before. I couldnt find a post for my question.

I've metals gates on my driveway. Power going to each pillar where I've pillar lights. I need to get electric gates .I live in the country & youngest keeps going for a stroll down the road !
    Someone suggested Sargon gate opening kit. Now I can do the rams on & all the manual work . I'll need a psa electrician I think to power the gates.
    1. Will the power going to the lights be able to power the gates?
    2. Are sargon OK maker ?
    Cheers

Comments

Robbie IRE wrote: »

No,
    they need their own supply.
    You'll also need to a pipe to get wires from one side to the other for the photocells.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

No,
    they need their own supply.
    You'll also need to a pipe to get wires from one side to the other for the photocells.

Great , thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hopefully the duct is accessible to pull through a new supply.

Hopefully the duct is accessible to pull through a new supply.

Should be . There is a cattle grid under the gates ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Apologies if this has been answered before. I couldnt find a post for my question.

I've metals gates on my driveway. Power going to each pillar where I've pillar lights. I need to get electric gates .I live in the country & youngest keeps going for a stroll down the road !
    Someone suggested Sargon gate opening kit. Now I can do the rams on & all the manual work . I'll need a psa electrician I think to power the gates.
    2. Are sargon OK maker ?
    Cheers

Hi OP,

As has been mentioned earlier, gates need their own electrical supply preferably directly from your fuse board.
    With regard to how they are wired, both gate motors need to wired back to the gate controller, wherever you plan on fitting that. So all electrical and low voltage cables go to that point.

Now I would urge you not to go into this assuming anything, make sure you employ a contractor who is well familiar with gate automation and someone who knows well what they are at, not every electrician or PSA registered security systems contractor know about gates .

The below is a link to the Health and Safety Authority's recent guidelines on gate automation.

Take this as a serious warning, if anyone gets hurt from your gate under automatic movement, then you are culpable.

So hand over the responsibility to someone with the wisdom to do the right thing and then to sign it off.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Machinery_and_Work_Equipment/Guidelines_on_the_Safety_of_Powered_Gates.html

PS I am not familiar with Sargon so I cannot help you there.

• Advertisement

Should be . There is a cattle grid under the gates ðŸ‘

To the board also.

You know what , in my naivety I thought this was an easier job !
    I'm going to get someone to do the whole thing .A good company & at least I'm sure of the quality job & system .

The gates are good but the electrics will need to be run from the house.
    I just don't want to get ripped.
    I've been quoted 2.4k + vat for a came kit with installation & then 1k for the electrics . The company are good but wasn't expecting to pay 2.4k for a kit × install.
    Would that seem about right ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

You know what , in my naivety I thought this was an easier job !
    I'm going to get someone to do the whole thing .A good company & at least I'm sure of the quality job & system .

The gates are good but the electrics will need to be run from the house.
    I just don't want to get ripped.
    I've been quoted 2.4k + vat for a came kit with installation & then 1k for the electrics . The company are good but wasn't expecting to pay 2.4k for a kit × install.
    Would that seem about right ?
    Cheers

You are a wise man.

With all the safety involved now for automatic gates, that quote does seem fair enough to me.
    As regard the electrics, I am afraid I am unable to comment on that as I have no idea of what is involved there.

Is swa been used or ducting, is ducting in place already and cable can be pulled through.
    These will affect price.

Advertisement