Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving test

• 22-03-2021 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Anybody get a driving test done during this lockdown?
    Rsa website says everything suspended except essential workers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

lalababa wrote: »

I'm waiting since July last year.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

Passed my test last week in Mulhuddart, applied last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They have no way of knowing if you are an essential worker or not. But at least with the bike you can still ride on a permit if you are honest and don't take the test not being allowed on motorways is a bonus.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

On the day of the test they do ask to confirm that you are an essential worker but they don't look for any proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

My IBT slip & learner license will be out of date soon enough. I'll apply for a test. I'm sometimes involved in food distribution so I might try the essential thing.
    I thought though that bike tests were going ahead during the last few lockdowns because there's social distancing ina bike test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Applied august.

Meanwhile everything slowly goes out of date, and your pockets are emptied again!

Hate this merry-go-round

I just applied on the clunky rsa website through mygov.id . Only showing ballina as being open. I went for Cork. No dates or timeframe.I will get an email at some stage.
    This better cover me for going out of date on my ibt slip and licence!
    500+ for ibt and ? for licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Applied for Wicklow yesterday
    It said there were 8 waiting but no availability
    Just thought I would start the ball rolling I have about 16 months left on my IBT cert hope it is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

keep an eye on you local office, my son applied two weeks ago as an essential worker and just got a test date that popped up in Tallaght for mid April. they do release free dates each day

What is the story with the IBT cert expiring? The below is from the RSA website but is not clear to me at least. Are they saying it has to be renewed every two years?

Can my certificate go out of date?
    The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue. The holder must, within the period of validity either, (a) submit the certificate to the licensing authority with an application for a driving licence (full licence) under progressive access rules for the relevant licence category, or (b) make an application for a certificate of competency (driving test) for the relevant licence category. Any subsequent such application must be accompanied by a valid Certificate of satisfactory Completion of IBT. Note: Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate. Visit www.rsa.ie for further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

PCeeeee wrote: »
    What is the story with the IBT cert expiring? The below is from the RSA website but is not clear to me at least. Are they saying it has to be renewed every two years?

Can my certificate go out of date?
    The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue. The holder must, within the period of validity either, (a) submit the certificate to the licensing authority with an application for a driving licence (full licence) under progressive access rules for the relevant licence category, or (b) make an application for a certificate of competency (driving test) for the relevant licence category. Any subsequent such application must be accompanied by a valid Certificate of satisfactory Completion of IBT. Note: Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate. Visit www.rsa.ie for further details.

Basically you need to have one for the test, or if not asked, when applying for your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 black sabbath

Can anyone explain why the ibt is so bloody expensive 600-650.Really don’t get why it cost so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Can anyone explain why the ibt is so bloody expensive 600-650.Really don’t get why it cost so much.

Cost to the ADI of the bikes, the bikes maintenance, tax, insurance costs, fuel, compound rental fee, their own taxes, and to pay themselves something they don't do it for the love of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

When you do the maths it's actually not that expensive. Ibt works out at about 30 an hour and for that you're insured, taxed and getting tuition; just as an example, you pay a barber about 15 euro, or more now a days, for 30 mins work.

From my reading of the post quoting the RSA website one is ok if the ibt is in date AT the time of the test application?? No?

zubair wrote: »
    When you do the maths it's actually not that expensive. Ibt works out at about 30 an hour and for that you're insured, taxed and getting tuition; just as an example, you pay a barber about 15 euro, or more now a days, for 30 mins work.

Seeing as how it looks like now I'll have to renew it I wonder is anyone doing the second one cheap!

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Cost to the ADI of the bikes, the bikes maintenance, tax, insurance costs, fuel, compound rental fee, their own taxes, and to pay themselves something they don't do it for the love of it.

€300 per day is excessive even with all the above payments considering they do four at a time which I know to be true as when I did mine and having friends who have done it.Another case of motorcycle riders been screwed.
    Total money racket.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€300 per day is excessive even with all the above payments considering they do four at a time which I know to be true as when I did mine and having friends who have done it.Another case of motorcycle riders been screwed.
    Total money racket.

Your choice is either pay it and get your IBT or don't.

Your choice is either pay it and get your IBT or don't.

If you read my comment above you can see I have already done mine.
    We as bikers don’t have a choice we have to pay this it’s a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I wouldnt do it for any less myself. Thepr insurance costs alone are astronomical. Compound rental isn't cheap, registration with RSA, bikes, bike maintenance, safety equipment. Tbh, I thought at 600 it was cheap for 18 hours. A manual handling course costs more per hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I wouldnt do it for any less myself. Thepr insurance costs alone are astronomical. Compound rental isn't cheap, registration with RSA, bikes, bike maintenance, safety equipment. Tbh, I thought at 600 it was cheap for 18 hours. A manual handling course costs more per hour

You're bang on there's lots of courses that are far more per hour.
    Out of €600 they're taking home a surprisingly small percentage of that to be fair. None of them are getting rich. You can see how the prices have increased over a few years with the rising insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Total money racket.

That depends on how busy they are. When i did my IBT it was just me.
    A friend did his with the same instructor the two days before mine and there was just two of them.

When you break it down €300 per customer per day isn't a huge amount. Added to that the fact that a lot of them haven't been able to work to their fullest over the past year because of the restrictions.

When the 4 of you were doing it, was there just one instructor? Were you on private property before going out on to the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

Total money racket.

Some very crude math here, but... 600÷18=33.3 p/h. Before the tax man takes his cut.

On top of this - buying the bikes, fuel, maintenance (batteries, tyres, etc), insurance, tax, PPE, renting the space to do the IBT in, etc.,

There's handier ways to earn a few bob.

The idea that I could just ride a bike without ever taking lessons is ridiculous to me. €500-600 is plenty fair to me for giving me a basic idea of how not to kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Mine cost €500 and was with two others - no issue with the price thought it very reasonable and William O Donohue is a great instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It's not.
    It's more of a disgrace that people were given bike licences in the past with no training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 biker60

I did mine in January in Ennis,he asked if I was an essential worker, I said yes, he didn’t ask for any proof or anything and made the comment “everyone is so good luck with your test

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

It's not.
    It's more of a disgrace that people were given bike licences in the past with no training.

A very valid point - it's a two tier system!

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Car drivers pay for the mandatory lessons too: it cost €900 to get my daughter to her car test.

And I wouldn't want my 17yr old son just hitting the road, untrained. I think his €500 was worth it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

That depends on how busy they are. When i did my IBT it was just me.
    A friend did his with the same instructor the two days before mine and there was just two of them.

When you break it down €300 per customer per day isn't a huge amount. Added to that the fact that a lot of them haven't been able to work to their fullest over the past year because of the restrictions.

When the 4 of you were doing it, was there just one instructor? Were you on private property before going out on to the roads?

It’s was on a car park then out on the road.

None of us have been working to our fullest the past year so that’s no excuse to charge €300 per day.Its all cash as-well very much doubt the tax man sees all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It’s was on a car park then out on the road.

None of us have been working to our fullest the past year so that’s no excuse to charge €300 per day.Its all cash as-well very much doubt the tax man sees all of it.

Well seeing as you're convinced it's such a gravy train, I look forward to the Black Sabbath Riding School. I'll happily book in with you, but I'll also be giving out about your rates and expecting you to offer 50% off as its been a tough year for me.

Don't worry though. Its all cash, so I'm sure the tax man won't see all of your earnings.

Advertisement