Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

zubair wrote: »
    Bandit is a good beginner bike and that looks pretty clean and is half faired, It'll be gone soon so get a quote for it over the phone ASAP.

With the market as it is this is fairly bang on.
    Good aul beginner friendly bike, not much goes wrong with them, lots of parts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Johann. wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27763768

This would do for A license? Thoughts on bandits or beginner?

Thanks.

I used to have a Bandit as a beginner bike. It has more than enough power when starting off. It's also suitable for the A test.

If you want more comfort then get a cbf600. They're great bikes (I don't think they suffer from stator and rectifier/regulator issues like the higher capacity cbf1000 which I have).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bandit is a good beginner bike and that looks pretty clean and is half faired, It'll be gone soon so get a quote for it over the phone ASAP.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

In the current market if you see a decent fairly priced bike you want, ya pretty much have to go for it straight away.

In the current market if you see a decent fairly priced bike you want, ya pretty much have to go for it straight away.

The fairly priced ones are few and far between.
    Lads looking for €3k for a cbr 600 f3, virago 125 and ratted out 02 and older bandit make for depressing times.

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    The fairly priced ones are few and far between.
    Lads looking for €3k for a cbr 600 f3, virago 125 and ratted out 02 and older bandit make for depressing times.

It is depressing alright. I had resigned myself to buying brand new due to complete lack of value in the market , but at the last minute saw a bike, and just rang and bought it over the phone there and then.

It is depressing alright. I had resigned myself to buying brand new due to complete lack of value in the market , but at the last minute saw a bike, and just rang and bought it over the phone there and then.

Nice one what ya get?

Nice one what ya get?

KTM Super adventure T. So far delighted with it. Just need to restrictions to ease do I can really stretch it's legs.

KTM Super adventure T. So far delighted with it. Just need to restrictions to ease do I can really stretch it's legs.

Nice one, keep her rubber side down

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

tenor.gif

Jesus, can’t even go to work nowadays :D

One thing for sure is, there’s some insanely priced 2nd hand bikes. Also, some huge variations in price on what to me, are the same models. Assume it’s people trying their luck?

• Advertisement

Jesus, can’t even go to work nowadays :D

One thing for sure is, there’s some insanely priced 2nd hand bikes. Also, some huge variations in price on what to me, are the same models. Assume it’s people trying their luck?

Well yes but people are paying it too so you can't blame them. Brexit has left us with a lack of imported second hand bikes and the pandemic has likely had its part to play too. Still, there are realistic sellers out there but you'd genuinely need to be on DD 3+ times a day to get something for what it's really worth.

Well yes but people are paying it too so you can't blame them. Brexit has left us with a lack of imported second hand bikes and the pandemic has likely had its part to play too. Still, there are realistic sellers out there but you'd genuinely need to be on DD 3+ times a day to get something for what it's really worth.

Yeah, certainly seems that way.

Applied for license renewal today anyway, which is a start!

So, looking at CBF600, Honda Deauville (although, I believe this isn’t Cat A)...what else should I be looking at, good, cheap beginner bike?

Thanks,
    John

Deauville is a solid bike but personally I'd put a line through it because you'll have to apply for the test before your next permit so stick with the A category bikes. Imo cbf600 is your best pick, but bandits, fazers, hornets, ER6 are all good. I know the SV comes up a lot and I owned one for a few years but I'd go for one of the others if it was me, main reason, it's more of a parts bin bike than the others and the feedback from the suspension is really lacking, not what you want when you're just starting out. Some bikes that are often overlooked, diversion, gsr600, nc750.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

CBF600 is a brilliant first bike. I had one for two years and it never let me down.

Deauville is a solid bike but personally I'd put a line through it because you'll have to apply for the test before your next permit so stick with the A category bikes. Imo cbf600 is your best pick, but bandits, fazers, hornets, ER6 are all good. I know the SV comes up a lot and I owned one for a few years but I'd go for one of the others if it was me, main reason, it's more of a parts bin bike than the others and the feedback from the suspension is really lacking, not what you want when you're just starting out. Some bikes that are often overlooked, diversion, gsr600, nc750.

Cheers zubair. Focusing in on cbf600. So will keep an eye out. Renewed license Saturday. Also, got another quote think it was about €800 which is better, will prob get another few quid off of I ring them.

My IBT is up mid July - what’s the story there, do I have to do another?

Will take a spin out to some of the bike shops in Dublin on Saturday have a look at some gear etc to get an idea.

Cheers lads, you’ve been a great help.

J

As you completed the IBT already you'll just need to have an in date cert for the test. Come the time to do the test I would see if your instructor would give you pre test lessons and issue a new IBT cert as a part of that. I don't know if this is possible but I think its win win for both parties doing this, it's just whether they see it that way.

As you completed the IBT already you'll just need to have an in date cert for the test. Come the time to do the test I would see if your instructor would give you pre test lessons and issue a new IBT cert as a part of that. I don't know if this is possible but I think its win win for both parties doing this, it's just whether they see it that way.

Ok, so no implications insurance wise? As most quotes ask for date of completion, just curious if it were past the two year would they require another one? Not much info on it tbh, or whether IBT & Insurance are even linked.

Ok, so no implications insurance wise? As most quotes ask for date of completion, just curious if it were past the two year would they require another one? Not much info on it tbh, or whether IBT & Insurance are even linked.

If its out of date you're not legally allowed to ride as it is a requirement of the learner permit to hold valid ibt to be allowed to drive on Irish roads.

If its out of date you're not legally allowed to ride as it is a requirement of the learner permit to hold valid ibt to be allowed to drive on Irish roads.

Yeah, I thought that but also couldn’t see it really stayed anywhere.

Hard to enforce, or not enforced, I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Cheers zubair. Focusing in on cbf600. So will keep an eye out. Renewed license Saturday. Also, got another quote think it was about €800 which is better, will prob get another few quid off of I ring them.

Will take a spin out to some of the bike shops in Dublin on Saturday have a look at some gear etc to get an idea.

Cheers lads, you’ve been a great help.

J

my cbf600 cost 600eur to repair rectifier went,apparently its a known problem, its quite uncomfortable to ride on a long trip,mpg isnt good, its very easy to ride.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    my cbf600 cost 600eur to repair rectifier went,apparently its a known problem, its quite uncomfortable to ride on a long trip,mpg isnt good, its very easy to ride.

600 seems expensive to me for that fix. Stator went on my CBF1000, also a common issue. Comfort wise, I don't think its any different to other budget commuter/ sports tourers.

A quick google says that only CN in Ireland have changed how they approach expired IBT certs, this seems to have happened in October 2020, and its not clear if they are quoting people with expired certs or not, just that that CN will ask. And the RSA page does not say you cannot ride on an expired IBT cert, it just states that a valid cert must be presented with a full license application. This differs to the CBT in the UK where they clearly state a valid cert must be held to be insured.

A quick google says that only CN in Ireland have changed how they approach expired IBT certs, this seems to have happened in October 2020, and its not clear if they are quoting people with expired certs or not, just that that CN will ask. And the RSA page does not say you cannot ride on an expired IBT cert, it just states that a valid cert must be presented with a full license application. This differs to the CBT in the UK where they clearly state a valid cert must be held to be insured.
    Exactly what I thought when reading up on it over the weekend. Nowhere does it state you have to have an in date cert to ride? Surely couldn’t be expected to dish out another €600.

My pal had his test cancelled pre Christmas, his IBT is up next month and he’s now looking to pay another few hundred € to stay on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Exactly what I thought when reading up on it over the weekend. Nowhere does it state you have to have an in date cert to ride? Surely couldn’t be expected to dish out another €600.

My pal had his test cancelled pre Christmas, his IBT is up next month and he’s now looking to pay another few hundred € to stay on the road?

I thought it was a legal requirement to have an in date IBT to ride. I know that some of the Instructors are giving out about this, and have been requesting that IBT certs be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

600 seems expensive to me for that fix. Stator went on my CBF1000, also a common issue. Comfort wise, I don't think its any different to other budget commuter/ sports tourers.

They had to replace the battery also,it was fried.

I thought it was a legal requirement to have an in date IBT to ride. I know that some of the Instructors are giving out about this, and have been requesting that IBT certs be extended.

You are 100% correct on both counts.

It is and always has been since its introduction, lads quoting insurance websites are quoting what insurers require not what the legal obligation of the rider is.

If people don't believe me make a quick call to an ADI they will verify you can not legally ride without a valid in date ibt.

(b) shall not drive that vehicle in a public place unless he or she—

(i) is driving the vehicle while taking part in an IBT course for that category of vehicle, or

(ii) holds an IBT certificate in respect of the category of vehicle being driven and carries the certificate with him or her while so driving.

Please Note: The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue. The holder must, within the period of validity either, (a) submit the certificate to the licensing authority with an application for a driving licence (full licence) under progressive access rules for the relevant licence category, or (b) make an application for a certificate of competency (driving test) for the relevant licence category. Any subsequent such application must be accompanied by a valid Certificate of satisfactory Completion of IBT. Note: Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate.

You have to do module 5 again to revalidate the ibt cert.

Very easily enforced lads, garda can stop you and ask to see it at any time you're on the road.

Just on a side note some people who's certs are expired are having their tests cancelled by the rsa, and you can't book a test until the portal shows you have a valid ibt.

You are 100% correct on both counts.

It is and always has been since its introduction, lads quoting insurance websites are quoting what insurers require not what the legal obligation of the rider is.

If people don't believe me make a quick call to an ADI they will verify you can not legally ride without a valid in date ibt.

(b) shall not drive that vehicle in a public place unless he or she—

(i) is driving the vehicle while taking part in an IBT course for that category of vehicle, or

(ii) holds an IBT certificate in respect of the category of vehicle being driven and carries the certificate with him or her while so driving.

Please Note: The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue. The holder must, within the period of validity either, (a) submit the certificate to the licensing authority with an application for a driving licence (full licence) under progressive access rules for the relevant licence category, or (b) make an application for a certificate of competency (driving test) for the relevant licence category. Any subsequent such application must be accompanied by a valid Certificate of satisfactory Completion of IBT. Note: Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate.

You have to do module 5 again to revalidate the ibt cert.

Very easily enforced lads, garda can stop you and ask to see it at any time you're on the road.

Just on a side note some people who's certs are expired are having their tests cancelled by the rsa, and you can't book a test until the portal shows you have a valid ibt.

But it doesn't state that it needs to be in date for point 3

But it doesn't state that it needs to be in date for point 3

It doesn't have to its wording implies it, the law doesn't always have to be explicit in its wording it can imply facts by the wording throughout. The fact is simple an IBT cert ceases to be valid after two years, you have to have a valid cert to legally ride its a requirement of the learners permit. If you want to ride you need to do mod 5 to have it revalidated.

"Please Note: The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue."

"Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate"

Again if you dont believe me ring an ADI or the rsa. Go on Facebook, put ibt into the search bar and click posts.

It doesn't have to its wording implies it, the law doesn't always have to be explicit in its wording it can imply facts by the wording throughout. The fact is simple an IBT cert ceases to be valid after two years, you have to have a valid cert to legally ride its a requirement of the learners permit. If you want to ride you need to do mod 5 to have it revalidated.

"Please Note: The Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT ceases to be valid after two years from the date of issue."

"Following the expiry of a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of IBT it will be necessary to successfully complete additional IBT training in order to obtain a further certificate"

Again if you dont believe me ring an ADI or the rsa. Go on Facebook, put ibt into the search bar and click posts.

I'm not saying its right, I just don't believe it's enforced in anyway even in an incident. I did just go on Facebook to have a look and found this response by twowheeltraining.ie to a similar query on their page "IBT became law in December 2010 and the RSA haven't implemented the expiry date on any IBT Certificate to date.". Worth messaging them to get more info for those that are interested.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying its right, I just don't believe it's enforced in anyway even in an incident. I did just go on Facebook to have a look and found this response by twowheeltraining.ie to a similar query on their page "IBT became law in December 2010 and the RSA haven't implemented the expiry date on any IBT Certificate to date.". Worth messaging them to get more info for those that are interested.

If your IBT cert of satisfactory completion was issued to you over 2 years ago it is now out of date. It is only valid for 2 years from its issue date. (With the exception of ibt certs issued before 19th January 2013).

So what does that mean to you?
    As the RSA currently have not extended the IBT expiry dates if you are now over two years you are no longer able to legally ride your bike as you no longer meet your legal requirement to do so.

Can I still sit my test if the IBT is out of date?
    No. As you no longer meet your legal requirement to do so.

My Insurance company still gave me cover, so am I insured?
    No. The bike is insured against theft etc but you no longer meet your legal requirements to ride it so therefore are not insured to do so.

Is the RSA intending to extend the IBT?
    They have requested a meeting with the department of transport and tourism this week to see if they can but currently there is nothing further.

What can I do?
    Nothing at the moment other then put the bike away and await more information later this week. I am hoping that either they allow you an extension or allow ibt to go ahead again which will mean you can do the mod 5 to be reinstated as normal.

If they do extend what do I do?
    You are allowed ride again for the extended period. Apply for your test and get it done ASAP so you don't reach the end of the extention and end up having to do mod 5 again. (but currently there is no extention).

As soon as I get an up date I will post again.

There ya go directly from Eric Daltons fb, one of the most highly regarded bike ADI's and most active in providing updates during covid.

The rsa are actively enforcing the dates now as the new portal prevents booking without a valid ibt.

Advertisement