Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Here's a Fiat 80/90 loader & shuttle looks well priced

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/fiat-80-90/27633413

If interested Reggie might pop over for a look.....

Better be quick it wont hang around for long at that price if it's straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Not really there is about 2 k worth of tyres in it. If you dropped the price by 2K it would be more attractive. Some lads are great to source stuff. If a contractor bout this tractor he might have one pair in the yard that would fit it.niw having said all that the owner may have sourced a good value similar workhorse and had not planned on changing but took the opportunity to vat arose

Is it worth fixing up old MF 165 in the hope of getting a much improved price for it? Néed a better 2nd tractor at home so I'd like to replace it... Ours runs and drives, albeit poorly... Would need a steering overhaul. hitch replaced, new cab etc... Id say its worth 3.5 - 4k based on whats being asked on done deal and 165's are selling quick from what ads I've been following.. Could easily spend 4k on it but I don't think it would be a 8 k tractor if it were fixed up..It'd still be a 165 at the end of the day and they arent able to manage alot of new implements

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

divillybit wrote: »
    Is it worth fixing up old MF 165 in the hope of getting a much improved price for it? Néed a better 2nd tractor at home so I'd like to replace it... Ours runs and drives, albeit poorly... Would need a steering overhaul. hitch replaced, new cab etc... Id say its worth 3.5 - 4k based on whats being asked on done deal and 165's are selling quick from what ads I've been following.. Could easily spend 4k on it but I don't think it would be a 8 k tractor if it were fixed up..It'd still be a 165 at the end of the day and they arent able to manage alot of new implements

No.

It’s nearly always a case of a sunk cost fallacy

The cost of parts and labour is impossible to recoup on a sale

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It'd be a good fixer upper project, but equally good for export...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It'd be a good fixer upper project, but equally good for export...

Yeah might be best to get rid of it if they're still making crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No.

It’s nearly always a case of a sunk cost fallacy

The cost of parts and labour is impossible to recoup on a sale

Only think 3-4k is hand money for a second tractor unless you have a friend that will sort a bit of work if you have a problem with a tractor.

Recently saw a lad pay over 2 k to get a clutch done on a 390. He has to go to a place that sell tractor's ( not a main dealer even). His problem was an small independent lads has 3-3 weeks work on in front of him. He was able to get a friend to feed every 2-3 days and did a bit of pushing and piking himself. He had an old Zetor on the place and had sold it only last summer for 2 k as it was lying around the place. He have battled away with it if he had to for a month if he had not sold it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just keep it in a dry shed, do little bits of work to it yourself as you get time. Keep an eye out for parts that you know you need all the time. It might never be an 8k tractor but if you sold it what would you get for 4k?

Over the last few years the 5000 here has got a new clutch, hydraulic pump, 2nd hand Dromone puh, bigger back wheels and tyres (used) and this year a water pump. I haven't spent €1000 on parts and all diy. Young lad helped me on a lot of these jobs so he's learning too.

You say it's too small for modern implements, but a 2nd tractor, even an old one is still capable of a lot of handy jobs around a farm. Now I admit you're not going to put a 2 ton fertiliser spreader on the back of your 165......:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Not really there is about 2 k worth of tyres in it. If you dropped the price by 2K it would be more attractive. Some lads are great to source stuff. If a contractor bout this tractor he might have one pair in the yard that would fit it.niw having said all that the owner may have sourced a good value similar workhorse and had not planned on changing but took the opportunity to vat arose

There are alot of this type Renault's in clare as joe whelan was the main agent before he had Massey ferguson /agco alot of these are well minded and only do tipping around I've only heard of 1 giving trouble and that was the owners fault

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Here's a Fiat 80/90 loader & shuttle looks well priced

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/fiat-80-90/27633413

If interested Reggie might pop over for a look.....

Better be quick it wont hang around for long at that price if it's straight.

Gone now, less than 24 hours up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

Gone now, less than 24 hours up...

Saw that.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/leyland-262/27574710

Leyland 262. They are 55-60Hp. If I remember right they always had a decent rear liftuch better than a 165. I say this one was on the road a bit as I see a light plug on the rear and there is twin beacons on it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/leyland-262/27574710

Leyland 262. They are 55-60Hp. If I remember right they always had a decent rear liftuch better than a 165. I say this one was on the road a bit as I see a light plug on the rear and there is twin beacons on it.

a bit of a difference between 165 and 262of the same age .leyland no dealers now, bad breaks ,bad hitch and need weights for a bale otherwise a good enough yoke but not 4.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Wow looking at this thread has me thinking is it time to sell my 20 year old 85hp landini. What is it worth, 4wd 5700 hrs, mechanical perfect interior rough and exterior off farm condition bit of rust on one mud guard??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭endainoz

k mac wrote: »
    Wow looking at this thread has me thinking is it time to sell my 20 year old 85hp landini. What is it worth, 4wd 5700 hrs, mechanical perfect interior rough and exterior off farm condition bit of rust on one mud guard??

Would it be something like this you have?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/landini/27434735

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

endainoz wrote: »
    Would it be something like this you have?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/landini/27434735

No the older model, a blizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

This looks clean : good value but I have no idea of how reliable they are

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/international-475/27646951

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

jaginsligo wrote: »
    This looks clean : good value but I have no idea of how reliable they are

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/international-475/27646951

Great tractor. Perkins engine

No log book makes it worthy of scrap value unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

She be a grand tractor for scraping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just get a new log book, or more likely with a tractor like that, don’t bother and just start off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

maidhc wrote: »
    Just get a new log book, or more likely with a tractor like that, don’t bother and just start off the road.

How hard is it to get a new log book I wonder? Is it something that the existing owner would have to apply for or can anyone do it

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    She be a grand tractor for scraping

It would be a shame to put that on a scraper.... it's in very good condition...

It would be a shame to put that on a scraper.... it's in very good condition...

Well she sold quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well she sold quick!!

This is a gas thread! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wouldn't agree with your valuation there!

15k euro however no hours on add. I suspect that hours are very high. However alot tractors in NI are generally in the cat system. This one is not so that would have effected value as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭kk.man

Has she the Perkins big engine?.. Is she square axle?... The 2 most important things that make a 165. The rest of issues will be superficial like Blue5000 says.

We had one here years ago traded it one of the biggest regrets of my machinery life. It's my aim to buy one again but I need to have a spare few quid first.

It'd be a round axle 165 we have with the big engine, but yea I'm thinking I'll hold onto it and fix it up little by little

What's the cat system referred to in post 117?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭kk.man

It'd be a round axle 165 we have with the big engine, but yea I'm thinking I'll hold onto it and fix it up little by little

What's the cat system referred to in post 117?

Wouldn't be a fan of the round one myself. They don't make as much as the square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

kk.man wrote: »
    Has she the Perkins big engine?.. Is she square axle?... The 2 most important things that make a 165. The rest of issues will be superficial like Blue5000 says.

We had one here years ago traded it one of the biggest regrets of my machinery life. It's my aim to buy one again but I need to have a spare few quid first.

Made the same mistake myself....... :(

Advertisement