Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All about the Vectrex

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New PiTrex image from Malban here
    http://vide.malban.de/pitrex/pitrex-baremetal-download

Looks like Elite is not too far away, and he has developed USB keyboard compatibility with a form of Basic...
    Not sure what it's all about, to be honest!

He's also got the Sega vector games working, though it's not completely finished.

A new Tron inspired light cycle game is also in the new image, and it looks fantastic.

I haven't tried this out so if someone else wants to give it a go and let me know what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Just seen this on done deal and thought was best place to share, some one selling a Vectrex.https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/vectrex-1982/28144853

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Burzum wrote: »
    Just seen this on done deal and thought was best place to share, some one selling a Vectrex.https://www.donedeal.ie/games-for-sale/vectrex-1982/28144853

They really are rare to see these days, especially from an Irish seller
    I'd nearly buy it to have a spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Might sell mine, more room needed, will put on marketplace when I test it.

A nice new shooter for the Vectrex on the way,
    Vryzon, and it works on the base console, no PiTrex required.
    It looks fantastic, another in the style of Galaga or Gorf but using the vector display to full effect

• Advertisement

Anyone do a cap kit on their Vectrex? Any links for caps or info?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Anyone do a cap kit on their Vectrex? Any links for caps or info?

The Last Bandit did the work on mine.
    This is a set, following a quick Google, but it is based in the US.
    https://console5.com/store/vectrex-cap-kit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya console5 do them, but I'd not recommend replacing them unless they are actually causing trouble as those motherboards as ba$tards to work on and thruhole plating is terrible so most caps need to be solder on both sides :(

Ya console5 do them, but I'd not recommend replacing them unless they are actually causing trouble as those motherboards as ba$tards to work on and thruhole plating is terrible so most caps need to be solder on both sides :(

So you are saying you will do it for me?

Haha not a chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Did anyone see the Robotron 2048 port coming to the Vectrex called Vobotron?

Doge wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Robotron 2048 port coming to the Vectrex called Vobotron?

Nope, you got a link to that?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope

I didn't either! :pac:

Sorry, I was in a joking mood, I promise to never again. ;)

Free pitrex case to avoid a ban? ;)

eddhorse wrote: »

That page hasn't been updated since 2003!
    It was planned to be finished in 2004!

God help me, but I have bought a conversion kit for an arcade stick, turning it into an analogue Veccy stick based on the Hall Effect.
    It uses a magnet glued to the bottom of the stick shaft (ooh-er missus) and a custom PCB, and includes the connections too for buttons and whatnot.
    Fingers crossed this thing works out!
    Not that cheap, 51 sterling shipped...
    Hopefully it will work as expected, and I won't bollix it up!

This is the proto of a Hall effect stick working,

Haha same here not sure what exactly I'll do with it yet but will probably be bigger than the vectrex itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hopefully it will work as expected, and I won't bollix it up!
    We'll be the judge of that when you post the pictures :p

• Advertisement

The PiTrex is back for sale!
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrex.php

The PiTrex is back for sale!
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrex.php

I’ve not even unwrapped the one I bought in the last round :(

Don't know if this is going to work or not...

(Title of my sex tape!)

Vide Malban is at it again!

Having taken a break from Pitrex development, for a few months, he's back and is converting a game called World War Vi, which debuted on the Vecfever enhanced Veccy cart.

That is quite a limited run device, not to mention expensive, so it appearing on the relatively cheap and available PiTrex is a great thing.

Malban has only put a couple of hours into this and already it looks great.

Hopefully it'll have an early release in the coming week or two.

Edit: no, the YouTube link didn't automatically work...

Edit2: works now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was playing Control, in 4K and the smoothness, sharpness and movement of a certain floating enemy in that game reminded me of BattleZone.

So, maybe now with 4K and 60FPS we are finally reaching the quality of that ancient game display technology 😊

Updated the vector area for some pre vectorwars practice.. Competition starting soon if anyone is interested in competing, it's a fun few days and gives a great excuse to play some vectrex games which you may have previously ignored.. Last year I found I had great fun playing tour de France which i had all but dismissed beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Did I ever tell you I’d no Vectrex Mozie me old pal

2 Vectrex on a cocktail cab, what a life.

I'd love to take part but things here mean I can't, my dad isn't well so I'm providing nurse cover along with my wife.

But those Veccys look fantastic.

Finally after two years I've managed to snag myself a vecfever cart from Thomas himself.. Looking forward to getting stuck in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

New adapter for Vectrex to allow you to use almost any Bluetooth joystick/joypad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jkDIhEILic&t=29s&ab_channel=BDub

Advertisement