Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mesh set up

Options
  • 09-03-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a tp link homeplug up in attic and for most part works ok however struggling with Video occasionally for VC.

I'm looking at TP Link Deco e4, nice price on amazon at moment however I am worried about Ports.

It says it has two ports, I guess they are output ports and have a single input port also from router.

I have hive and phonewatch which are required all time however had a couple of other devices. Do the non primary mesh units also have output you can use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Someone said on another thread tape over the routers (from internet provider) ports. Could I use those for phonewatch and or hive?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

They have two ports, as far as I know you can only use one at a time for output. I think one is designated for WAN.

If you need more ports you could pick up something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PWHGQSS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gb+switch&qid=1615290221&sr=8-3

Put one of those anywhere you need more ethernet ports and everything will just work.

Not sure what you mean by tape over ports but you can use the ports from the router yes, it will all be part of the same network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

The E4 only has 100Mbs ethernet ports so the max speed will always be limited to that rather than the theoretical maximums of the AC1200 WiFi. Unless you are only on VDSL/Midband for the foreseeable future you would be better off with an M4/S4 or M5.

If I put vm router in mode so it doesn't broadcast I assume I could still use its lan port like I currently do for my alarm system and move hive onto the mesh lan port. Rather not use a switch its another thing plugged in.

Yep the ports will still work if you disable wifi. However don't use the lan ports if its in bridge mode.

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks. Think i'll get m4 and future proof it for higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is my own personal belief that the TP in TP Link stands for toilet paper

I've installed a few Draytek 902's and they've been good

It depends on what your use case is. Are you running a business with 100 users spread across 2 or 3km of cable? Yeah tp link probably won't cut it.

Are you running 200m of cable in your house for 5 smart plugs and watching netflix? You'll likely never have an issue and you'll the exact speeds you should.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What speeds are the homeplugs? Might be just that you've a "slow" 1, also, if you have multiple homeplugs in the house they'll all go to the speed of the slowest 1, that even includes ones that go faulty after a while.

In attic my homeplugs were getting 22mbs at best now with mesh i'm getting 90mbs.

A few teething issues with sky q hopefully resolved now.

• Advertisement

Don't even talk to me about sky q. Hours spent trying to get them to play nice with my network. I could start as a sky q engineer in the morning at this point.

Yeah not sure why it works 3rd time with no changes :)

So my mesh setup broke my skybox, and now need to broadcast my vm router again.

Which seems to have had a negative affect on speeds available on deco.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    So my mesh setup broke my skybox, and now need to broadcast my vm router again.

I think Sky uses its own Mesh so there's a bit of configuring to get it working properly

Advertisement