Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling flies?

• 15-02-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

hi folks,anyone tying and selling a few dry/wet flies a bit less than in the shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

sniperman wrote: »
    hi folks,anyone tying and selling a few dry/wet flies a bit less than in the shops?

If anyone is selling for less than shops then they’re probably not tying themselves, more likely buying from somewhere like Kenya.

Tying is very time consuming and materials aren’t cheap.

You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭sniperman

well is there anyone selling flies,if so how much for drys and wet river flies,such as red sedge,iron blue dun,pheasants tails,etc,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Green Peter

well is there anyone selling flies,if so how much for drys and wet river flies,such as red sedge,iron blue dun,pheasants tails,etc,thanks

www.dunfly.ie

Will be hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭sniperman

www.dunfly.ie

Will be hard to beat

your right there,but seems they only have a couple of what im after,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Try piscarifly too, if you’re on Facebook then there’s a fishing in rivers for trout group that always has guys showing off their flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fisherking

Jimmy tyrell does the best dry flies I have seen
    Especially if you are after small dryflies

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

fisherking wrote: »
    Jimmy tyrell does the best dry flies I have seen
    Especially if you are after small dryflies

Got 10 flies from Jimmy - at least 12 years ago. I still have all of them. They are too good to use (and lose). You couldn't meet a nicer guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

whelzer wrote: »
    Got 10 flies from Jimmy - at least 12 years ago. I still have all of them. They are too good to use (and lose). You couldn't meet a nicer guy!

Jimmy has very good flies, and always sells flies that are tried and tested. Have some myself. Frankie McPhillips very good as well, and there's a bunch of lads on Facebook... Tony O'Sullivan, Jackie Mahon, etc. Have flies from all of them and they are top notch. Just need an easing of restrictions so I can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭fiacha

Well worth picking up some cheap tools and materials online and tying a few for yourself.

There are great tutorials on Youtube and your fly doesn't have to look as perfectly dressed as one a pro produces to catch fish. For example the CDC f-fly is a very basic dry fly that is very effective on the river in Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

fiacha wrote: »
    Well worth picking up some cheap tools and materials online and tying a few for yourself.

Agree 100%. Swore I'd never tie a fly and just get them off contacts and pay them. But eventually, you want to tweak flies, try different hooks, try something you see online and so on. The best answer there is to get some gear and tie them up based on YouTube tutorials. Be warned though, if the fly tying bug bites, it bites deep... you'll end up sourcing skins, finding buddies who shoot things, discarding cheap capes and sourcing expensive capes and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement