Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holystone hs720 phone compatibility

Options
  • 22-01-2021 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

I bought a holystone hs720 from Amazon and found it wouldn't connect to my phones Via wifi, contacted the company who tell me it is 5g wifi and won't work on 4g. Has anyone here got one of these and if so which phone are you using, don't want to spend a fortune on a phone just for the 5g. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

What phone do you have?

(btw, 4G wifi or 5G wifi don't exist and 3G, 4G, 5G have nothing to do with controlling a drone so there's a terminology issue there)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

theothernt wrote: »
    What phone do you have?

(btw, 4G wifi or 5G wifi don't exist and 3G, 4G, 5G have nothing to do with controlling a drone so there's a terminology issue there)

5g wifi does exist, most of the new high end phones have it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

daveob007 wrote: »
    5g wifi does exist, most of the new high end phones have it

They mean there is 5g - your 5g phone connects to the 5g cellular network and give you faster download speeds.

there is wifi the wireless networking protocol that connects you to your wireless hub at home

Please, please, please do not think that we are being nerdy and pedantic here.

afaik the connection between controller and your drone is by wifi. The wifi signals can travel quiet far by line of sight.

you could take the sim card out of your phone and still use it as with the controller I'm thinking about using a tablet in the controller so i can have a bigger screen. I'll give it a go to day and let you know

sheesh wrote: »
    They mean there is 5g - your 5g phone connects to the 5g cellular network and give you faster download speeds.

there is wifi the wireless networking protocol that connects you to your wireless hub at home

Please, please, please do not think that we are being nerdy and pedantic here.

afaik the connection between controller and your drone is by wifi. The wifi signals can travel quiet far by line of sight.

you could take the sim card out of your phone and still use it as with the controller I'm thinking about using a tablet in the controller so i can have a bigger screen. I'll give it a go to day and let you know

5g wifi is relatively new, mostly used for high def streaming, some phones are 5g network but only 4g wifi, some have both, there's only one tablet so far capable of it Samsung Galaxy new version. Expensive at 800 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

5g wifi is relatively new, mostly used for high def streaming, some phones are 5g network but only 4g wifi, some have both, there's only one tablet so far capable of it Samsung Galaxy new version. Expensive at 800 euros.

Ah, I see the issue now. You mean Wifi 5 or Wifi 6, which is not the same as saying 5G Wifi. Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a difference.

Back to your actual issue. It's hard to find proper technical info on this drone (their website seems badly translated with mistakes), but I did read that Android support varies from phone to phone - could you test it on a friends Android phone or even an iPhone?

Also, forgetting about the phone for a sec, were you able to pair the drone to the controller? were you able to make a test flight with just the controller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

The drone operates on 5GHz Wifi (802.11ac), which most phones within the last few years support, so unless your phone is very old, it supports 5GHz
    You still haven't said what phone you are using?

Also, which app are you using?
    It has to be Ophelia Go and not Ophelia GPS. It won't connect to the Ophelia GPS app

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

5g and 4g have nothing to do with whether your phone connects to your drone.

As said before your phone has to have 5GHz Wifi (802.11ac) to connect to your drone. If you look up your phone's specs on the likes of GSM arena it will tell you if it does.

My neighbour has this drone and had to use his wife's phone to use it as his didn't have the correct WiFi band support.

Have flown it a couple of times and it's not a bad drone in the air at all. Very stable and capable.

ra0044 wrote: »

As said before your phone has to have 5GHz Wifi (802.11ac) to connect to your drone. If you look up your phone's specs on the likes of GSM arena it will tell you if it does.

My neighbour has this drone and had to use his wife's phone to use it as his didn't have the correct WiFi band support.

Have flown it a couple of times and it's not a bad drone in the air at all. Very stable and capable.

Thanks for the replies, I've installed ophelia go, phone is a Galaxy a10. Going to retry during the week and try my son's new iPhone too.

theothernt wrote: »
    Ah, I see the issue now. You mean Wifi 5 or Wifi 6, which is not the same as saying 5G Wifi. Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a difference.

Back to your actual issue. It's hard to find proper technical info on this drone (their website seems badly translated with mistakes), but I did read that Android support varies from phone to phone - could you test it on a friends Android phone or even an iPhone?

Also, forgetting about the phone for a sec, were you able to pair the drone to the controller? were you able to make a test flight with just the controller?
    The drone connects to the controller no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Thanks for the replies, I've installed ophelia go, phone is a Galaxy a10. Going to retry during the week and try my son's new iPhone too.

The Galaxy A10 won't work I'm afraid as it doesn't have the WiFi band you need. Hopefully the iPhone supports it depending on which model iPhone it is

ra0044 wrote: »

Btw which phone does your neighbor's wife have

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Btw which phone does your neighbor's wife have

Just checked and she is using a Xiaomi mi10 lite and he actually has the Samsung A10. That would seem to be your problem sadly.

His drone is the HS720E model but they both require the same WiFi bands.

Finally got it sorted, got myself a redmi note phone that has 5g and dual band WiFi, works perfectly with the drone. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement