Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PORTMARNOCK HOTEL LINKS 11AM FEB. 20 TBD

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Break80 wrote: »
    PM your details to Seve0b.
    quick shout that SeveOb's handle contains the letter 'O' not a zero :pac:
    SeveOb

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Jeez if I could putt I would have had 40 points yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dream the dream

Great to see all the Boards lads back in a wet and windy east coast of Dublin. The weather acted up - but was still a great day on a great course.

Woke up this morning and it was like a dream with a slight hangover, delighted with my first Boards outing win - after many years of trying and only a few top 3 places - lost a few times on countback. I've known for a good while now I'm crap - but never give up. WHS has seriously put manners on the handicaps this year.

I'd like to thank my playing partners - Benny (always a shocking hilarious story) - Tiger (always good for the bet) and the good man himself (break 80) one of the few sound Cork men out there. First time I won a fiver from Tiger - as he would never play me for one before.

39 pts - with 9 lip outs - an eagle - nearest the pin and a 4 hour round and 9 pints after in the clubhouse. Was beaten by 2 yards on the long drive by the new lad (BigFúckoffDriver - I think is his user name) with a 54 inch driver (seriously lads what is the society rules on this ****) , he was sticking a towel on it on 10 - to check wind direction. Like, come on!

In the clubhouse some dude was saying that there was a virus somewhere in China and it will shut the whole country down / golf and pubs. He had me going for a while - but laughed so hard when he said pubs would be closed in Ireland :D:D:D

Benny was saying after, that he is thinking of getting Blades - I jokingly asked him " have you got that virus your man was on about"

Catch all at next outing - enjoy the good days lads - you just never know what is around the corner.

Fair play Golfgraffix getting the 18 in - and Space for wearing them trousers in public.

Catch all again - "All the pubs closing for a year" :D:D:D:D - the characters you meet at these outings.

Head cases / eccentrics and extremists - got to love it.

Dream the dream

Great to see all the Boards lads back in a wet and windy east coast of Dublin. The weather acted up - but was still a great day on a great course.

Woke up this morning and it was like a dream with a slight hangover, delighted with my first Boards outing win - after many years of trying and only a few top 3 places - lost a few times on countback. I've known for a good while now I'm crap - but never give up. WHS has seriously put manners on the handicaps this year.

I'd like to thank my playing partners - Benny (always a shocking hilarious story) - Tiger (always good for the bet) and the good man himself (break 80) one of the few sound Cork men out there. First time I won a fiver from Tiger - as he would never play me for one before.

39 pts - with 9 lip outs - an eagle - nearest the pin and a 4 hour round and 9 pints after in the clubhouse. Was beaten by 2 yards on the long drive by the new lad (BigFúckoffDriver - I think is his user name) with a 54 inch driver (seriously lads what is the society rules on this ****) , he was sticking a towel on it on 10 - to check wind direction. Like, come on!

In the clubhouse some dude was saying that there was a virus somewhere in China and it will shut the whole country down / golf and pubs. He had me going for a while - but laughed so hard when he said pubs would be closed in Ireland :D:D:D

Benny was saying after, that he is thinking of getting Blades - I jokingly asked him " have you got that virus your man was on about"

Catch all at next outing - enjoy the good days lads - you just never know what is around the corner.

Fair play Golfgraffix getting the 18 in - and Space for wearing them trousers in public.

Catch all again - "All the pubs closing for a year" :D:D:D:D - the characters you meet at these outings.

I remember that headbanger on about the china virus in the bar after.
    Thankfully I left after 7 pints of creamy Guinness as I had a long drive back to Cork.

Great Company as always with Benny and Tiger and of course Fix.
    That story on the 10th tee from Benny had me in stiches.
    I will give him a year and see does this clean living and celibacy is everything he said it would be.

As usual I had to hand over the fiver to Tiger.
    I don't mind to be honest when he told me the price of his new clubs.
    Another 200 payouts from me will cover the cost of the driver.
    We can start on the irons after that.

Fix. Don't be upset.
    I had a complaint from the greenkeepers about pitch marks after our round.
    They said it's acceptable on the course as they saw you replacing them every time but they recommended you alter your angle of attack when you have the putter in hand.
    Something about too much practice on the beach.

I will update the GOTY in a few weeks as I am heading off to Portugal on a golf trip Tuesday for 2 weeks.

Talk Soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea but you cheated. That ball couldn’t have been plugged on the 14th, sure the man in the moon saw it take a bounce.
    Dream the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I actually felt like I had just woken from a coma reading that. Till I realised this sh!t is real! Mad world we live in these days.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Don't know how i missed this thread until now but im 100% in. Cant wait to get back golfing especially with the unique society that is Boards Golf society headed by a great captain in Break80. Stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Charlie4four

Looks like a great society, best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Hey Break80, best of luck. I haven't even looked into anything golf related since December, so I missed this.

Looking forward to meeting you again in the green pastures this year, let's cross our fingers we can play soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, with the new roadmap, do we think we'll be able to restart the society soon? Tullamore on the 12th maybe doable?

Would love to get out for a round with the boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Any chance of outings beginning soon with clubs now taking visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Any chance of outings beginning soon with clubs now taking visitors

Hopefully so Golfhead. El Capitane is on the case doing everything he can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Would love to head out as a visitor also. I’m a member of Castleknock and they told me the only day for societies for 2021 is Fridays if that suits.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Would love to head out as a visitor also. I’m a member of Castleknock and they told me the only day for societies for 2021 is Fridays if that suits.

Gimme a shout for a game sometime

Well Lads and Ladies.
    WE ARE BACK.
    We have 5 outings confirmed for what's left of our season.
    I have squeezed 2 outings into August so we can have a qualification for the Ryder jug in October.
    So now we have.
    Kilkea Castle. June 19. 12.28.
    Fota Island July 24. 11.00.
    Castlecomer August 7. 12.55.
    West Waterford August 21. 12.00.
    Eniscrone September 18. 12.30. CAPTAIN'S PRIZE.

Membership is down to €25.00 for the year that's in it.
    GOTY is carried from last year so now it will be the best 5 scores from 9 outings.
    New Members will have a chance if they shoot the lights out this year.

With the WHS now in place you will need to PM your GUI number and club to Seve OB for handicap calculations.
    He will sort this on Golf Ireland App going forward. If you don't have a club/number he will sort that too. (Thanks Seve)

We are under pressure from clubs this year for numbers so please confirm yes/no ASAP when I post so I can back to clubs with numbers early. Very little wriggle room with tee times this year which is fair enough.

We will stick with the revolut payment system re. my first post for the year.

I think that's it for the moment.
    I am looking forward to catching up with ye all already.

BREAK 80.

Thanks Break 80. Great work organising the outings and much appreciated. I’ll get Teamer back up and running tomorrow, there are a few new additions so once I’ve gone through all them, I’ll send out the invites for Kilkea.

Looking forward to getting back on the road with all you golf nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Thanks Break80, tough year to manage this circus. Looking forward to play even if I miss a few of those, who knows what is going to happen at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Looking forward to it Break80 good to be back !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Cant wait well don't break80..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Well done Break80 looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Well done Break80. Can’t wait to get back, won’t make them all but hopefully get to 3 anyway. Fair play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice, I updated the OP, two new courses there for me, always love new courses

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭coillcam

Excellent work Break 80! I might not be able to attend the first but the other ones should be fine. Looking forward to visiting some new courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Deffo in for kilkea castle Break80 and hopefully can make a lot of the outings this year.
    Great work Captain and look forward to seeing you all throughout the year.

Teamer invites have been sent for Kilkea folks

We are resetting Handicaps to align with WHS folks. Rules have been (or will shortly be) updated. In short, we will use your Handicap Index to calculate a Course Handicap. We are not going to bother with the 95% playing handicap rule, but in an effort to be fair to all, we will still apply Playing Handicap adjustments as per previous.

Please send me a pm with your GUI number and Club so that I can prepare handicaps ahead of time

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Just accepted there for Kilkea Castle but can I have 1st Tee time as I've to go to Monaghan later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Signed up there. Delighted to join and really looking forward to the year ahead.

Thanks Break 80 and Seve OB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Best of luck to the society for the year. Been following the thread for a while now. I might try and join you all in Castlecomer when the time comes as its close to home and get involved for the 1st time

Advertisement