Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Masters 10/01/21 -17/01/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Was a good match, but old twitchy eye definitely lost it. Should have been home and hosed 6-3. Have to fancy ronnie to win it out now.

Poor auld Ding needs a Chinese Steve Peters I think.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Ronnie played some lovely stuff at times. The 4th frame in particular he had some fantastic brave attacking longish pots.

Lovely touch shots time and again to open up the black spot. The best one I remember was when he was 3-0 down in the fourth frame. Completely opened up the table. He would have made a great Billiards player as well.

Has a great knack of knowing how to split the pack to without relying on luck as well. In the zone as Ronnie called it in his interview playing a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Poor auld Ding needs a Chinese Steve Peters I think.

It's very strange, i never thought a lad who came to england at 15, on his own and without a word of the language, would ever struggle with his mental game but ding just seems to lack that necessary bottle at times. Pity really cos he has all the other requirements to be an all time great.

It's very strange, i never thought a lad who came to england at 15, on his own and without a word of the language, would ever struggle with his mental game but ding just seems to lack that necessary bottle at times. Pity really cos he has all the other requirements to be an all time great.

Must be very frustrating for those close to him and his supporters. It has happened to many times to be a fluke at this stage. I think Hendry described the mad Brown he took on in the last frame as a 'head gone' moment. He had no way of getting nice on a red from it.

I wonder does he practice much with Yan? Because he took a small bit out of his book he would be the complete player.

It just shows in snooker a player has to have the four decent components to be the real top notch they need tactics, potting, mental strength and ruthlessness. Being weak one of those four and players don't do as well as they should.

Must be very frustrating for those close to him and his supporters. It has happened to many times to be a fluke at this stage. I think Hendry described the mad Brown he took on in the last frame as a 'head gone' moment. He had no way of getting nice on a red from it.

I wonder does he practice much with Yan? Because he took a small bit out of his book he would be the complete player.

It just shows in snooker a player has to have the four decent components to be the real top notch they need tactics, potting, mental strength and ruthlessness. Being weak one of those four and players don't do as well as they should.

Ding is just hard to work out, that brown the way he played it made no sense on any level. Just trying to figure out what was in his head as he played it is impossible. His post match interview was strange too, seemed to suggest he's not really loving playing under these circumstances but that's not much of an excuse i don't think. A lovely guy but the old enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc definitely applies in his situation i'd say.

• Advertisement

Ding is just hard to work out, that brown the way he played it made no sense on any level. Just trying to figure out what was in his head as he played it is impossible. His post match interview was strange too, seemed to suggest he's not really loving playing under these circumstances but that's not much of an excuse i don't think. A lovely guy but the old enigma wrapped in a puzzle etc definitely applies in his situation i'd say.

It was almost as if he was fighting off the tears in the interview afterwards, he knew he blew it, again.

Lovely touch shots time and again to open up the black spot. The best one I remember was when he was 3-0 down in the fourth frame. Completely opened up the table. He would have made a great Billiards player as well.

Has a great knack of knowing how to split the pack to without relying on luck as well. In the zone as Ronnie called it in his interview playing a bit quicker.

Remember him doing a piece on pack splitting on one of his always interesting eurosport shows, explaining how he'd changed his approach over the years from all out busting reds everywhere to cherrypicking a couple to move each time when possible. Said it helped him keep better control of a break and less likelihood of going out of position. Fascinating insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Fuming I had to miss Ding V ROS, sounded like a great match.

Will have to settle for the Pistol v The Wizard.

“Some flukes are so embarrassing, you daren’t apologise.”

Dominic Dale is quality in the com box. The BBC were foolish to let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

“Some flukes are so embarrassing, you daren’t apologise.”

Dominic Dale is quality in the com box. The BBC were foolish to let him go.

I agree. One of my favourite commentators currently.

Dull match so far.

• Advertisement

It was almost as if he was fighting off the tears in the interview afterwards, he knew he blew it, again.

I think Ronnie is his achilles heal. They had this bromance going for a while and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Higgins blew that frame, anyone's match now 3-3

That pink was just about as bad as dings red earlier. Should have put frame to bed a lot earlier anyway, not like higgins at all.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Dull match so far.

A combined 63 points scored after 15 reds there in Frame 6. Think I could manage that.

Don't mind tight low scoring frames personally, players under pressure, having to think about shots. All a matter of taste i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The item with Hendry and K Wilson around practice and the different line ups was interesting. That one Wilson was using could push you over the top on a new high break vs the traditional line up from blue to black cushion.

A combined 63 points scored after 15 reds there in Frame 6. Think I could manage that.

I was going to say this match is like watching a good club match.

Higgins on a break here, might help him to get his mojo back.

Dale has just declared that Mark Selby is tactically superior to John Higgins. It hurt me to hear that.

Dale has just declared that Mark Selby is tactically superior to John Higgins. It hurt me to hear that.

I would agree.

When Higgins isn't playing in top break-building form, he looses it with himself somewhat. You often see him outwardly looking exasperated with his lack of top form. Whereas Selby reverts to his b+ game subconsciously and just gets on with it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I would agree.

When Higgins isn't playing in top break-building form, he looses it with himself somewhat. You often see him outwardly looking exasperated with his lack of top form. Whereas Selby reverts to his b+ game subconsciously and just gets on with it.

I dunno I always agreed with those that said Higgins was the best all round player of all time. In my opinion Higgins is the slightly craftier, cleverer player of the 2. Selby’s tactical game appears to me to be more a result of a combination of stubbornness and huge amounts of practice. I am well open to correction on this.

I am thinking of both players at their absolute peak, rather than based on any recent form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

Higgins has looked a step ahead to me throughout this. I know it's been tight and they're almo..

And just as I type that he fluffs a pink. Shows what I know.

Deserves final frame decider

Yeah I’ve enjoyed the match overall, happy with the decider.

Why did Higgins refuse that red along the top cushion though.

Some really awful careless misses this match, but it's been exciting and tense in its own way.

Bad misses from both. Mark lucky that red dropped. Generous pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Ronnie will beat Higgins handily on today's evidence

Yeah I’ve enjoyed the match overall, happy with the decider.

Why did Higgins refuse that red along the top cushion though.

Was interesting shot choice. I don't think it was a bad one but ask yourself would the higgins of 10 or even 5 years ago have made that choice? Don't think so. But if it had won him match we'd be saying what a wise old head he is, so there's that too. Don't know why he didn't play to leave red in middle of table though, that was a bit odd.

Unlucky Mark Allen - showed some bottle when it looked all over. That miss forgivable - never easy to pot the brown when the pressure's on (and not just in a snooker match either :pac:)

I dunno I always agreed with those that said Higgins was the best all round player of all time. In my opinion Higgins is the slightly craftier, cleverer player of the 2. Selby’s tactical game appears to me to be more a result of a combination of stubbornness and huge amounts of practice. I am well open to correction on this.

I am thinking of both players at their absolute peak, rather than based on any recent form.

Wouldn't correct you on anything, your view is as valid as mine.

Match was worth watching in the end after a scrappy first few frames.

• Advertisement

Some fluke from Wilson - the 'Angry Farmer' were proper annoyed :D

Advertisement