Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football Manager 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What's the view on this so far? Only a few games into a new save with Shamrock Rovers so hard to call but first impressions are the gestures thing is just a direct replacement for tone and don't think it is a real improvement. I also don't really like how they have gotten rid of the condition/fitness percentages and replaced them with a smiley face or how they have gotten rid of the player suitability for roles when selecting a starting XI (for example, in previous FMs if you played Shane Duffy as a ball playing centre back it would come up orange but as a no nonsense centre back he would be green).

Also during the match itself I feel it is harder to swap players around without going into the full tactics screen. Still getting used to it and I suppose it's natural to notice the changes you don't like at first but they're just a few things I feel have been changed for the sake of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

What's the view on this so far? Only a few games into a new save with Shamrock Rovers so hard to call but first impressions are the gestures thing is just a direct replacement for tone and don't think it is a real improvement. I also don't really like how they have gotten rid of the condition/fitness percentages and replaced them with a smiley face or how they have gotten rid of the player suitability for roles when selecting a starting XI (for example, in previous FMs if you played Shane Duffy as a ball playing centre back it would come up orange but as a no nonsense centre back he would be green).

Also during the match itself I feel it is harder to swap players around without going into the full tactics screen. Still getting used to it and I suppose it's natural to notice the changes you don't like at first but they're just a few things I feel have been changed for the sake of change.

for player suitability roles to show up you can use this skin
    https://www.fmscout.com/a-dark-polish-fm21-skin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

The percentage fitness thing I guess is to make it a bit more realistic - ie in real life you wouldn't know if a player was on 69% fitness or 61%

Currently managing Burton Albion which if you're looking for a tough save, then Burton Albion is the one.

No money, and a squad full of aged 30+ journeymen.

I basically had to fill out my squad with loans, I looked for a senior affliate to get some of them for free and United were willing to pair with me. Every game I have 5 loans in my starting XI.

That being said if you can stabilise them, they have state of the art youth and training facilities so in a couple of seasons you could have a factory of youth players.

I've basically managed to get some great loan signings, which has propelled us into the playoff spots. Although there was a period where I couldn't win a single game!

There were a few reasons for this I think:
    • We play a very high intensity style so the massive fixture congestion tired out my players and I regularly had to rotate to really poor options
    • We played a lot of the better teams in the league during this period
    • A few bad results and the confidence dropped massively.
    • Part of that run, we played 4 out of 5 games away from home.
    • We were regularly getting a higher xG than the opponent but not converting our chances, and our defense was far too leaky.
    I persevered with my tactic and we have since managed to turn it around, mainly off the back of Man Utd loanee Anthony Elanga being absolutely unstoppable - after getting a chance at striker due to injuries to other players, he has started scoring at an incredible rate. Also, we managed to get some significantly better loans in the Jan transfer window, and Kieran O Hara returned from a broken leg, to replace my rubbish Italian keeper who I brought in on a Free.

MQfnNYl.png

Unbeaten run which has sent us right back into playoff contention:

kyiH3CH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy this?
    I want a hard copy, not a downloaded version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Stewball wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place to buy this?
    I want a hard copy, not a downloaded version.

Not many places stocking physical versions of PC games these days, I'd just go Amazon if I was looking for physical.

• Advertisement

Playing as Hull for my first full-game save and finding it very tough! No money, club starts off in trouble with an expectation to win the league outright... In February now in 7th, 8points of the top and had the dreaded board meeting telling me to buck up :o My team are total outliers on the monthly stats charts, we're quiet and leaky in defence and super aggressive at creating chances without converting much. Oh and the amount of games with an xG 1+ higher than the opposition that I'm losing is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

hots wrote: »
    Not many places stocking physical versions of PC games these days, I'd just go Amazon if I was looking for physical.

I had a look there. £37 but over 2 weeks delivery time.
    Smyths have it for €45.

Playing as Hull for my first full-game save and finding it very tough! No money, club starts off in trouble with an expectation to win the league outright... In February now in 7th, 8points of the top and had the dreaded board meeting telling me to buck up :o My team are total outliers on the monthly stats charts, we're quiet and leaky in defence and super aggressive at creating chances without converting much. Oh and the amount of games with an xG 1+ higher than the opposition that I'm losing is killing me.

You want to get yourself a senior affiliate for free loans. Not much good now but for the Summer it's something to ask the board for. I got promoted from League 1 in the end with Burton Albion, mainly through having United as a senior affiliate and Teden Mengi, Anthony Elanga, Ethan Galbraith all coming in on loan with no cost. Mainstays of the team.

With tactics I've found a few things, pressing is still overpowered (you could argue like real life with Liverpool), and all the things that go with pressing, such as high line of engagement, high defensive line etc all seem to do well in the game. The mezzala position is another which seems super strong in game.

In my save, we finished top half with Burton in our first championship season, got a takeover (which didnt do much but it did boost the transfer budget from 800k to 6 million), and we just got an offer for the only player with any potential or resale value in the team, Joe Powell, for over 12 million. Left it there last night as not sure if I should sell or not.

Highly enjoying it this year.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    You want to get yourself a senior affiliate for free loans. Not much good now but for the Summer it's something to ask the board for. I got promoted from League 1 in the end with Burton Albion, mainly through having United as a senior affiliate and Teden Mengi, Anthony Elanga, Ethan Galbraith all coming in on loan with no cost. Mainstays of the team.

With tactics I've found a few things, pressing is still overpowered (you could argue like real life with Liverpool), and all the things that go with pressing, such as high line of engagement, high defensive line etc all seem to do well in the game. The mezzala position is another which seems super strong in game.

In my save, we finished top half with Burton in our first championship season, got a takeover (which didnt do much but it did boost the transfer budget from 800k to 6 million), and we just got an offer for the only player with any potential or resale value in the team, Joe Powell, for over 12 million. Left it there last night as not sure if I should sell or not.

Highly enjoying it this year.

Senior affiliate would have been the way to go for sure, I started over wage budget so it's been a struggle. I'm playing wing-play with a target man (433) for my main formation and then a big-man/little-man 442 as my other relatively successful one. My false 9 formation was a car crash.

That Mengi chap looks class for lower level, keep getting him suggested. Also got taken over but no financial change other than writing off the old guys debts, 6 mil + player sales is a nice chunk of change for mid-table championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Getting restless waiting for news on whether this is coming to Stadia or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

That Mengi chap looks class for lower level, keep getting him suggested. Also got taken over but no financial change other than writing off the old guys debts, 6 mil + player sales is a nice chunk of change for mid-table championship!

Mengi is great but they are very specific about his position and role. From the previous save I've seen that Utd won't loan anymore players to me if one goes sour. He's head and shoulders above the rest of the squad in terms of quality though - playing as Wimbledon

barryribs wrote: »
    Mengi is great but they are very specific about his position and role. From the previous save I've seen that Utd won't loan anymore players to me if one goes sour. He's head and shoulders above the rest of the squad in terms of quality though - playing as Wimbledon

Grabbed Spurs as a senior affiliate myself, but got them in March so no young lads yet. I've got 1 game left in the season with hull and technically could finish second and auto promotion (although need results to go my way) and could finish 7th still and miss the playoffs. My late form has been insane, particularly at home (first time I think I've really noticed a home/away disparity in an FM). Both of my centrebacks and George Honeyman (who was a Sunderland steady-eddy for me last year) are all being touted for player of the year. Oh and the board are still on my back, I'm not even sure if a playoff loss will be enough to keep me in the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Just asking here as i might get a quick response
    What's the best manager game for an android phone

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Just asking here as i might get a quick response
    What's the best manager game for an android phone

Isn't FM21 available on android in a condensed mobile mode?

There's not anything else at the races when it comes to football management games, it has to be FM.

Grabbed Spurs as a senior affiliate myself, but got them in March so no young lads yet. I've got 1 game left in the season with hull and technically could finish second and auto promotion (although need results to go my way) and could finish 7th still and miss the playoffs. My late form has been insane, particularly at home (first time I think I've really noticed a home/away disparity in an FM). Both of my centrebacks and George Honeyman (who was a Sunderland steady-eddy for me last year) are all being touted for player of the year. Oh and the board are still on my back, I'm not even sure if a playoff loss will be enough to keep me in the job!

Finished 4th to make the playoffs but miss auto-promotion, scraped a 1-1 in the away leg and then battered Lincoln 4-1 in the second to make the final, meanwhile Blackpool (6th) beat Peterborough (3rd) to meet me in the final.

2-1 up in injury time and I concede a pen :mad: no highglights all the way though extra time... get to the shootout and my players are looking confident (love that feature), I miss my first 2 pens. Manage to pull it back and go to sudden death and de Wijs (CB and eventual league player of the year) bangs home the winner. Actually the best FM game I've had in years I'd say.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So annoyed, I'm in my second season but all the premier league teams have a bug where they can't register players so they play their U23s. Just smashed Tottennham 6-0 because of this, only solution I can think of is using the editor maybe

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So annoyed, I'm in my second season but all the premier league teams have a bug where they can't register players so they play their U23s. Just smashed Tottennham 6-0 because of this, only solution I can think of is using the editor maybe

That's a strange one, is it a Beta save that you continued? First time I've heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

Haven't encountered this either, I played through to the end of the second year in the premier league without any problems.

That's a strange one, is it a Beta save that you continued? First time I've heard that.

No its the full game.

Others have experienced the bug aswell, I have sent a ticket to SEGA who asked me to upload my save file.

Just annoyed as I put a good amount of time in the first season and was looking forward to playing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Smyths selling at €34.99 at the moment.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are insane in this game for me. They won 3 CLs in a row and I get battered everytime I face them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Liverpool are insane in this game for me. They won 3 CLs in a row and I get battered everytime I face them :o

https://www.fmscout.com/f-fm21-tactics-index.html

take a look here, some pretty good downloads of tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭505_

Still enjoying my first save as Sunderland. First season lost in the play off semi final. Won league one in my second season. Third season i lost in the championship play off final. Fourth season finished second to get promotion. Fifth season finished 8th in the premiership.

Like a few here have been making use of some loans from Man Utd. Have had Mengi & Elanga on loan every season and they've been great in every division. Surprised how well most of my signings and loans seemed to transition seamlessly from championship to premiership. Had Kieran Dowell, Conor Gallagher, Marcus Forrs and Liam Delap on loan at stages and managed to sign them all. Forrs and Delap serious goal threats in championship and premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

His mother is from Fermanagh. His father is from Uzbekistan. Neither a hurling stronghold.

cd4b5f1d387323070a8587b3f5e9fd0e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Currently running a network co-op save with a colleague of mine to give us something to do during lockdown.

He is River Plate, Im Boca juniors. We record a podcast on it which is a bit of a laugh. Will be going onto a different league soon I'd reckon, thinking Belarus. Any recomendations?

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-005-whats-spanish-for-the-come-boca/

Sirsok wrote: »
    Currently running a network co-op save with a colleague of mine to give us something to do during lockdown.

He is River Plate, Im Boca juniors. We record a podcast on it which is a bit of a laugh. Will be going onto a different league soon I'd reckon, thinking Belarus. Any recomendations?

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-005-whats-spanish-for-the-come-boca/

If you give the Football Manager Therapy guys a listen one of the guys in that has just done a stint in Argentina, my only game-related content I regularly keep up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

If you give the Football Manager Therapy guys a listen one of the guys in that has just done a stint in Argentina, my only game-related content I regularly keep up with.

Yeah had a rough start to the league, tried a tempo that wasn't ideal for my Boca Seniors. Went down to 21st 8 games in, but at third now.

Belarus, China or Aus are on the agenda next, all though wouldn't mind another pop at Argentina, if i don't get sacked!

Yeah had a rough start to the league, tried a tempo that wasn't ideal for my Boca Seniors. Went down to 21st 8 games in, but at third now.

Belarus, China or Aus are on the agenda next, all though wouldn't mind another pop at Argentina, if i don't get sacked!

Nice, I've stuck to the mainstream leagues this year, just starting a save as Roma, I never normally do top flight but they've got an interesting setup where the expectations are really high and half the squad are over 32...

Playing a 523 of sorts, very high line wide wingbacks and inverted wingers, two ball playing CBs that push on as much as I can make them. It's a really nice change being able to look at some of the top players in the world instead of always scraping the bargain bin for them!

Have had good saves with Bochum and Hull so far in the full game... going to give this Roma one a go and thinking maybe French Nationnal of some sort, always liked France for saves.

And one day I'll get back to Botafogo or Colo Colo.

Also I've literally never managed in those 3 countries so can't give any steer :o Australia surely the most "normal" to manage it? China I would guess is tough enough with rules/money/expectations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

FM2021 on the xbox game pass now.

Been doing a save with no transfers, so only relying on youth intake up to League 1 now from Vanarama North after about 8 years.

Advertisement