Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Covid situation- how do you plan for 2021 races

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

S_D wrote: »
    https://www.godsavethepoints.com/spain-tourism-reboot-travel-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2fJR8SklP8FvhK0VCkQdIKPaxjYCIlbIYfQZEdvDvIYYHR_VUr_Oz9Fso

depends what article you read eh

I guess it depends if you believe the leader of a country that shapes the strategy , or an tourism agency that lobbies for tourism .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

As government just announced that tough restrictions will stay in place for first six months of 2021, AstraZeneca announced that vaccines supply for first quarter will be just half or even less of what was agreed upon (Norway will get 200K instead of 1.2mil), Pfizer reducing supply by 20% and most likely all the travel restrictions - it doesn't look good at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

dpforce wrote: »
    As government just announced that tough restrictions will stay in place for first six months of 2021, AstraZeneca announced that vaccines supply for first quarter will be just half or even less of what was agreed upon (Norway will get 200K instead of 1.2mil), Pfizer reducing supply by 20% and most likely all the travel restrictions - it doesn't look good at all.....

yeah my optimism is waning big time reading the news over the last 24hrs. Putting myself on a news black out for a few days, its not good for the health :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

image.png

btw this article is fake news
    i listened to the speech he gave.
    he expects * in this speech * international tourism to come back start of Q3

https://murciatoday.com/spanish-prime-minister-says-tourism-does-not-face-lack-of-demand-but-lack-of-mobility_1552631-a.html?#bottom_navigate

this article reflects much better what he said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

tunney wrote: »
    image.png

Thats an incredibly meaningless statement. Stupendously so, in fact. A perfect report on tumbleweed, delivered breathlessly.

Less twitter, more training Tunney.

Roth postponed two months.

Roth postponed two months.

and i would say same will happen to european ironman branded races
    the only difference is that ironman s contracts dont seem to allow it to postpone a race that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Email today to postpone Aix-en-Provence 70.3 supposed to run 16 May.
    Moved to September. Although same happened last year and it didn't happen in September either

Options are
    1. Race in September
    2. Defer to 2022
    3. Voucher to be used against any IM France race up to Dec 2024.

I'd prefer my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

BTH wrote: »
    Email today to postpone Aix-en-Provence 70.3 supposed to run 16 May.
    Moved to September. Although same happened last year and it didn't happen in September either

Options are
    1. Race in September
    2. Defer to 2022
    3. Voucher to be used against any IM France race up to Dec 2024.

I'd prefer my money back.

yeah i've got a few now and i just want my money back and to start again fresh, two chances though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

yeah i've got a few now and i just want my money back and to start again fresh, two chances though

Depending on jurisdiction you can be entitled to a refund. Spain being one. IM don’t tell you this but if you ask for a refund and by law they have to - they will refund you.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Depending on jurisdiction you can be entitled to a refund. Spain being one. IM don’t tell you this but if you ask for a refund and by law they have to - they will refund you.

Is that just for races in Spain? Interesting to know, thanks

Is that just for races in Spain? Interesting to know, thanks

That’s right, races hosted in different countries have different laws. Worth checking with Ironman but have to ask. Races in a Spain allow for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I have booked Sheephaven last weekend of June & HOTW the week after (transfer from last year).

I think both of them won't go ahead at that time. Maybe later in the year.

Last year I got Celtic Warrior in. I can always do that again.

Hardman races are nearly sold out as they were the only one's that ran last year so not expecting a ticket there. Happy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Seems like Triathlon Taren is still looking for his Ironman Cork money back too.
    Don't expect a refund anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGL3mi3CR5A

Seems like Triathlon Taren is still looking for his Ironman Cork money back too.

he seems to be looking for half his money back...

His honesty is refreshing, basically acknowledging that people enter IM races aware of the restrictive refund policy. A good point is made that IM as a company doesn't really hold assets as such, its value is its brand, and not much else. Its business, and so long as people are willing to pay high prices to have their name aligned with that brand, IM will continue to make money (and it looks like that is their prime concern).

I have a degree of sympathy for entrants who probably won't be racing in Cork this year, but there was always a high likelihood they would be burned.

His honesty is refreshing, basically acknowledging that people enter IM races aware of the restrictive refund policy. A good point is made that IM as a company doesn't really hold assets as such, its value is its brand, and not much else. Its business, and so long as people are willing to pay high prices to have their name aligned with that brand, IM will continue to make money (and it looks like that is their prime concern).

I have a degree of sympathy for entrants who probably won't be racing in Cork this year, but there was always a high likelihood they would be burned.

but it holds a lot of debt so it really needs the intrests free credits from the athletes. so in a way athletes will have to pay for this one way or another in the future. now or later .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bertje14 wrote: »
    I have booked Sheephaven last weekend of June & HOTW the week after (transfer from last year).

I think both of them won't go ahead at that time. Maybe later in the year.

Last year I got Celtic Warrior in. I can always do that again.

Hardman races are nearly sold out as they were the only one's that ran last year so not expecting a ticket there. Happy for him.

Metalman entries went up last week. I had entered that last year as my last hurrah so had considered going for it but with no idea when I can get back in a pool, the fact I'm really unfit and college work all through the summer it's not really realistic. No interest doing it just to get around.
    Have cycled the metalman route a couple of times in my trips down to Waterford last year and the bike route is (mostly) fantastic. Has it all really the nice fast flat section thats hella boring, followed by the bumpy section along the coast. Very tough in a race I think as many might overcook themselves in the first half and be unprepared for the short bouts of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Metalman entries went up last week. I had entered that last year as my last hurrah so had considered going for it but with no idea when I can get back in a pool, the fact I'm really unfit and college work all through the summer it's not really realistic. No interest doing it just to get around.
    Have cycled the metalman route a couple of times in my trips down to Waterford last year and the bike route is (mostly) fantastic. Has it all really the nice fast flat section thats hella boring, followed by the bumpy section along the coast. Very tough in a race I think as many might overcook themselves in the first half and be unprepared for the short bouts of climbing.

It sold out on Sunday. Had option of early entry but didn't take it. Swimming hasn't happened properly in well over a year.

• Advertisement

I listened in to a zoom chat with Mike Reilly last night (IM announcer- "You Are An Ironman!"), he is expecting to come over for the IM in Cork, but discussed how Covid had affected IM worldwide. Some IM events are going ahead like IM New Zealand, but he can't travel to it, they are operating under strict Covid protocols so no expo/meal/prize ceremony. He mentioned some concern that some upcoming US IM events are now being cancelled/postponed, and said the organisation will have to adapt to this Covid era. Likely to be more events requiring a vaccine passport, more events on smaller self-contained circuits (mentioned a recent US triathlon which took place within a Nascar racetrack).

But things are difficult for large scale races, and for events like IM a lot of the buzz and bling around the races will have to be cut right back. Kona is going ahead by hook or crook though, Hawaii is open for tourism now with no quarantine.

Very nice guy and lovely stories to listen to, by the way.

I listened in to a zoom chat with Mike Reilly last night (IM announcer- "You Are An Ironman!"), he is expecting to come over for the IM in Cork, but discussed how Covid had affected IM worldwide. Some IM events are going ahead like IM New Zealand, but he can't travel to it, they are operating under strict Covid protocols so no expo/meal/prize ceremony. He mentioned some concern that some upcoming US IM events are now being cancelled/postponed, and said the organisation will have to adapt to this Covid era. Likely to be more events requiring a vaccine passport, more events on smaller self-contained circuits (mentioned a recent US triathlon which took place within a Nascar racetrack).

But things are difficult for large scale races, and for events like IM a lot of the buzz and bling around the races will have to be cut right back. Kona is going ahead by hook or crook though, Hawaii is open for tourism now with no quarantine.

Very nice guy and lovely stories to listen to, by the way.

LOL IM Cork 2021. Not happening in any form.

LOL IM Cork 2021. Not happening in any form.

Yeah, I got the impression his expectation to be there was in large part due to his optimistic nature. In practical terms the main issue against Cork he said were the supporters- even if there was a way to socially distance the athletes, there would be no way to stop large crowds gathering along the town and Windmill hill.

Still- in the context of the thread title- Youghal is being planned for by the IM people at the moment.

Yeah, I got the impression his expectation to be there was in large part due to his optimistic nature. In practical terms the main issue against Cork he said were the supporters- even if there was a way to socially distance the athletes, there would be no way to stop large crowds gathering along the town and Windmill hill.

Still- in the context of the thread title- Youghal is being planned for by the IM people at the moment.

Hard to keep the cyclists two metres apart.

There won't be an IM in Europe before September and even then I doubt it.
    Write this year off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

yeah I am afraid Tunney is right. I keep working towards Sheephaven & Tyrone as what I don't want is that it does go ahead and that I am not ready. Had that last year in Celtic Warrior where I was "Olympic' ready but not 70.3. Suffered on the run and ended up walking last 2k.

I haven't swam in god knows how long so that will be a struggle this year if something would happen. Here is to hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I wouldn’t be too sure there won’t be an IM in Europe this year, but I agree it’s unlikely. Cork is definitely a no.

I’m already aware of 2021 tri’s in Ireland being cancelled. I’m also worried about Hardman Full as I’ve posted elsewhere, although late August is a long way off.

IF (big if) we get a good batch of JJ vaccine in June - July there’s a chance for IM cork no?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

StaggerLee wrote: »
    IF (big if) we get a good batch of JJ vaccine in June - July there’s a chance for IM cork no?

Can't see any way it goes ahead. Huge numbers registered for both events.
    I'd love nothing more than to be wrong on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

There is a zero change of any race going ahead this year. Current restrictions most likely will be in place till end of June. This year is written off.
    Due to other priorities in my personal life I had to cancel it. Hopefully after three years I'll be in shape to sign for it again.

• Advertisement

dpforce wrote: »
    There is a zero change of any race going ahead this year. Current restrictions most likely will be in place till end of June. This year is written off.
    Due to other priorities in my personal life I had to cancel it. Hopefully after three years I'll be in shape to sign for it again.

So because (Potentially) restrictions will be in place until the end of June, that means racing 100% wont be happening this YEAR?

I'm intrigued on your certainty ... Are you just hoping that's the case or do you know something no one else does?

Advertisement