Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

NDLS sent my permit with the wrong categories on it? Applied for A permit and got A1, had A1 and A2 before so dont know how they sent me A1.

Happened 2 months ago by the way.

Rang them, 2 hour waiting time, emailed them four times and no reply in the last 2 months. Ended up sending it back with the letter to their PO Box stating wrong category about a month ago and still nothing.

Shambles of an operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭maik3n

WildWater wrote: »
    I do wonder what the process behind the scenes actually is. I get that one process eg GovID+Online would be more efficient than another. But what exactly is left to do after you have present all your documentation at the counter and had your photo taken that it takes so much longer than the GovID route?

My licence was out of date in on Jan 26th. In early Jan or late Dec (before I got my letter) I booked an appointment for the 20th. I don’t recall their being any issue about being an essential worker. Turned up on the 20th, all paper work in order, paid my fee, had my photo taken. I was then told to expect a delay and given my receipt. My new licence arrived two days ago. 4 weeks to the day.

My question is, what happened in that 4 weeks? I’m guessing the answer is that my application spent 99.5% of that time not being processed. But if all my documentation is checked at the desk, photo taken and fee paid why is the process from that point not as efficient as the online process? One would expect that all the agent has to do after checking the documents is tick a box to say print licence. Or is all the documentation, needlessly, checked again?
    They are really taking the pi**, lol.
    Finally got my license today, exactly 4 weeks since I popped in to NDLS centre and applied for it. :(

Nine weeks since my renewal appointment, still no licence. Received a text about five weeks in saying it's taking at least three weeks for most applications and not to worry....followed by another text about a week ago saying there are still delays. I'm also baffled about where the delay is coming from once you've completed the process at the office - when I saw all my paperwork going into an envelope behind the counter I assumed it was for scanning/archiving....not into some pit of doom never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Nine weeks since my renewal appointment, still no licence. Received a text about five weeks in saying it's taking at least three weeks for most applications and not to worry....followed by another text about a week ago saying there are still delays. I'm also baffled about where the delay is coming from once you've completed the process at the office - when I saw all my paperwork going into an envelope behind the counter I assumed it was for scanning/archiving....not into some pit of doom never to be seen again.

Is it a UK exchange or normal renewal of irish driving licence your application for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Over a month waiting for my renewed licence to arrive. I have a plain vanilla licence. Have had to get lifts everywhere since my old one expired. Got a text to say I should get it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I need to renew my license which expires in April. I cant renew online as Ive never had a PSC card. Intreo said they are only giving appointments for urgent needs and to contact the NLDS. Has anybody had their license renewed without a PSC or is it a necessity?

GBX wrote: »
    I need to renew my license which expires in April. I cant renew online as Ive never had a PSC card. Intreo said they are only giving appointments for urgent needs and to contact the NLDS. Has anybody had their license renewed without a PSC or is it a necessity?

You can get an appointment with NLDS without a PSC. I am however waiting over 4 weeks since my appointment for my renewed licence. If you look back over the posts in this thread you'll see that those who applied online with a PSC got their new licenses much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

New update from NLDS/RSA of extensions to driver license expiry period. So i'm good for a while.

https://www.ndls.ie/#new-extension-period-for-driving-licences-find-out-more

GBX wrote: »
    New update from NLDS/RSA of extensions to driver license expiry period. So i'm good for a while.

https://www.ndls.ie/#new-extension-period-for-driving-licences-find-out-more

Glad to hear it!

Although it is ironical that if I hadn't renewed my licence I'd be able to get behind the steering wheel:rolleyes:. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Applied online 15th Feb with my PSC and my licence arrived on the 22nd. Seems to be hit and miss as my better half was waiting over 3 weeks for hers to arrive after going to out nearest NDLS centre to apply in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Mine arrived exactly 4 weeks agree after the application went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭terminator74

My license arrived this morning - mirroring other posters, it took exactly 4 weeks to arrive after visiting the NDLS offices on February 10th.

What gets me about the current delays is that my license was registered and active on the RSA customer portal from February 12th. Its took 17 working days for the system to issue a physical one.

I don't think COVID restrictions or changing work practices can justify that wait time, especially considering online applicants with PSC takes significantly less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

This is happening all over the public sector, COVID is the greatest excuse ever for them. There is no logic to these delays and they are not just in NDLS, dept of ag is a joke since COVID as well. in the rest of the world admin type processing productivity went up after the initial transition to working from home.
    Lazy shower of f*ckers, licenses will be processed between the morning breakfast show and Live at 3 (is this still a thing?)

I’m actually finding a lot of companies and businesses are much slower than usual. It’s not just the public bodies. I’m getting response times of days from some and it’s often because they’re not really able to work from home as efficiently as they were in the office.

It’s very dependent on the level of digitalisation and a lot of other factors about what they do.

Things like dealing with older or less tech savvy colleagues who still struggle with email, never mind zoom and hours being spent supporting really minor IT glitches that come down to lack of tech savvy can be extremely frustrating.

Like when you’re spending 35 mins on FaceTime to an iPhone, trying to explain Dropbox to someone who responds to “open a browser” with “what’s a browser? Or snaps at you- “must you use jargon?” or “oh you mean THE INTERNET button! Why didn’t you just say that?” or tells you “I can’t get Windows to work” when you then discover they think Microsoft Word is “windows”

Or you say “plug in the Ethernet cable” and they plug in they plug in a mains plug for a desk lamp...

You’re suddenly realising that people interacting with IT systems often just barely know how to use them and follow procedures and were utterly reliant on local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Trying to update license on the website but keeps taking me back to login. Any advice? Really pissed off and spent 3 minutes on phone to be told there 17 calls ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Friend of mine living in Sweden with a UK licence can still use it there even post brexit.
    Interestingly Ireland doesn't allow this and they must be changed to an Irish one.
    Is that anything to do with over 100k Brits living here and having to pay for a new licence.
    Bit of a money spinner for Ireland don't you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Given that Ireland have maintained a common travel and work area with the UK it was a disgrace that UK license holders have to swap for an Irish one. They could have easily legislated around it for fück sake our rules of the road are a copy and paste of the UK system and we require a change of license.

A bureaucratic wet dream and a money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Do Irish licence holders resident in the UK have to change their Irish licence to a UK one after a period?

Cerco wrote: »
    Do Irish licence holders resident in the UK have to change their Irish licence to a UK one after a period?

Yes. Especially now as it’s no longer part of the EU N

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burdenedgnome

A friend's licence expired in March. On website they were told it has been extended to January 2022. Also told can not apply for renewal until 3 months before new expiry.
    But they may need to rent a car or travel abroad (essential work travel) in the meantime, how do they prove they're licensed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think they can hire a car abroad with an expired, but extended, licence.
    Or maybe, they should email the renter and explain the situation.

The problem in with retaining a U.K. licence if resident in Sweden for example is that it is linked to a U.K. address. So you’ll need to exchange it anyway at some stage and won’t be able to renew from a non U.K. address.

The issues crop up in most countries, where if you haven’t exchanged it during the transition period, you may potentially have to take a test. They were trying to make it easier but it’s still far from straight forward.

If you’re a U.K. national and permanently resident in Ireland it’s just far easier to use an Irish license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

My ROI licence is expiring at the end of this year. I currently live and work in Northern Ireland, but still have a ROI bank setup on my southern home address.
    I cannot renew online as I need to verify MyGOV ID and I need a Public Services Card to do so (which I seem to have lost over the year), so I need to apply online and meet in person to get a new one.

Will it be an issue if I say I am living and working up north?
    My pay is into my NI bank account, so I do not pay any tax down south.

Should I say I am living down south instead (but still working up North) ?

You’ll be asked for proof of address such as a utility bill. If you’re resident in the Republic, you’re entirely entitled to an Irish driving licence. Working cross border isn’t relevant to that, only your place of residence.

If you live in NI you should really exchange it.

You should be able to exchange it back to an Irish one again should you move to the Republic and an EU licence would be far easier to deal with if you’re ever planning to live on the continent.

You’d still have hassle driving a U.K. car, with U.K. insurance to an EU country though. You’d need all the insurance & other paperwork as a 3rd country resident, similar to what was needed in the 1980s. The Irish licence wouldn’t really make all that much difference. Although they might be wondering why an Irish licence is being used by a U.K. resident in a U.K. car. I know you can obviously be Irish or British or both in Northern Ireland but it’s not in the EU anymore, so other documents are impacted.

You’d be better off exchanging it if that’s where you’re living. If you’re planning to exchange it I would also do it now rather than waiting until close to expiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

You’ll be asked for proof of address such as a utility bill. If you’re resident in the Republic, you’re entirely entitled to an Irish driving licence. Working cross border isn’t relevant to that, only your place of residence.

If you live in NI you should really exchange it.

You should be able to exchange it back to an Irish one again should you move to the Republic and an EU licence would be far easier to deal with if you’re ever planning to live on the continent.

You’d still have hassle driving a U.K. car, with U.K. insurance to an EU country though. You’d need all the insurance & other paperwork as a 3rd country resident, similar to what was needed in the 1980s. The Irish licence wouldn’t really make all that much difference. Although they might be wondering why an Irish licence is being used by a U.K. resident in a U.K. car. I know you can obviously be Irish or British or both in Northern Ireland but it’s not in the EU anymore, so other documents are impacted.

You’d be better off exchanging it if that’s where you’re living. If you’re planning to exchange it I would also do it now rather than waiting until close to expiration.

Annoyingly I plan to move back to the South again in coming years though, which may complicate things.

I've lived in NI for 6 years, and had AXA NI insurance on a UK reg car with the Irish Licence for that time. They've told me Brexit will have no impact to me (but maybe they don't know for sure yet)

So I don't really mind getting an Irish Licence again.
    I have a bank statement to prove my South address(and ROI passport, existing licence etc. to prove identity) so I should be sorted then ?

All I can tell you is you’re eligible for an Irish driving licence if you’re resident within the state, and you’ll have to prove that with whatever documents are required on the renewal form, and you’ll be signing paperwork to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

where can I pick up a form for renewal - the garda told me to print out but I dont have a printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Has anyone actually managed to renew their Licence online?
    I went through a head melting process to actually set up a mygov ID account and get it verified.

Having finally gotten it done, when I click on the drivers licence renewal, it brings me to a page where it says I need to verify mygov ID, which Ive already done. So I click the link anyway, log in and its verified and when I click on the renewal licence again, it just brings me back to the same place saying I need a verified mygov ID. Its head melting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A couple months back I changed my address on the licence. All online, no hassle. Got new licence in post as expected a couple weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

tvnutz wrote: »
    Has anyone actually managed to renew their Licence online?
    I went through a head melting process to actually set up a mygov ID account and get it verified.

Having finally gotten it done, when I click on the drivers licence renewal, it brings me to a page where it says I need to verify mygov ID, which Ive already done. So I click the link anyway, log in and its verified and when I click on the renewal licence again, it just brings me back to the same place saying I need a verified mygov ID. Its head melting!!

Try using a different browser, it's possible that there are "issues" with the link between the systems, their IT is at best flaky, and at times just wrong. there are also times when the validate mygov ID doesn't work because the data in the system is wrong, and there's no way to know what is wrong, we had huge hassles getting my wife's ID validated, and that turned out to be that someone has mis spelled one of the fields used for validation when her PSC card was created, but it didn't give the reason on line.

I did manage to renew on line a few months back, but it wasn't easy, if you have a PSC card, one of the steps to validate the Mygov ID is sent out using the postal system, and there's no way during the process to change the address on the system, so if you've moved and not updated your PSC details, that may result in the letter going to the old address.

I got there eventually, but when I was able to request the new licence on line, they got the new licence dates wrong, and I'm still waiting to hear back about that, but as I've got the new licence, it's not a massive problem.

NDLS are incredibly slow at responding to E-mails, which is not helping.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement