Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yep, as @DvB said, you'll find lots of old threads covering pretty much everything you can think of Christmas related.

Before I started posting here I was long time lurking, reading old/current threads and that's when I knew this was the place for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

August already! Time is flying past!

We had a lovely bank holiday weekend! We had our annual family BBQ on Saturday at my folk's house. We went crazy & had a "Christmas in July" theme 😍 We all dressed up in Christmas t-shirts, santy hats, had Christmas music on the stereo, small Christmas tree & fairy lights strung up around the patio. I made some mince pies too - used the last of my mincemeat from Christmas 2020, they were delicious! My Dad dressed up as Santy then & gave the kids some presents 🤣 I'd say the neighbours thought we were mad!

Welcome @bad2thebone - the more the merrier! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭DvB

mmmmm mince pies....

That reminds me, must remember to keep an eye out in Lidl soon for Stollen... think they start getting it in around September.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Morning all

Nice bright, breezy start here. Would be great to get a nice August weather wise to round out the summer.

Good to see more life in the forum these days as well.

Good news is, it's Wednesday already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Lovely bright morning here, and a bit fresher than yesterday. Great drying weather, haha!

The forum really has come alive since the weekend. My sister lives in the UK and she booked her boat home for Christmas at the weekend. I was also stocking up on butter in Tesco over the weekend, as it was on offer, and I checked the date to make sure it would last until I make the Christmas cake! I love this time of year when there are little bits of Christmas are starting to trickle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

A bit damp in Clare but brightening up now. I've noticed that the holly tree's have green berries along the new line between Tubber and Kinvara.

As I've described that drive before, it's very festive when the holly is laden with berries and it's mid November.

My favorite time is the build up, and I'd love to make merry with friends this Christmas and do a Charles Dickens style cos play gathering in an old rustic house. I'm sure top hats and coat's etc can be got on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I went to homesense yesterday and I picked up a few Halloween bits. My boyfriend is far more of a Halloween person than a Christmas one but I'll forgive him.

Got some nice pieces that will do a few years that aren't totally tacky(we do have some of those from last year though :P) . I can't wait for the Christmas stock come in but I am a fan of the spooky season .I love this run into winter.

I see that The Range have launched their Halloween range online also...

Gets earlier every year I tells ya!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I can't take to Halloween at all! The missus loves it though. I loved it until around the time of becoming an adult then it just kind of fell away. No bonfires anymore doesn't help.

• Advertisement

TK have started stocking their Halloween stuff (according to the OH via Instagram)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes, James Patrice was doing a promo for them Yesterday. I'm not overly into Halloween decorations but they looked good.

Know that feeling. Used to love it as a kid/early teens, but as I got older it just became the gateway to the christmas season and I couldnt wait to get through it & into November. It did have a bit of a renaissance when our kids were young & getting dressed up & going out trick or treating as loads of the houses around here go all out with decorations etc. so it was a bit of an event, but now the kids have lost the excitement a tad mine has waned again also and its lost any real meaning for me.

We are still in the kids dressing up and trick or treating and do enjoy it however Christmas is always in the back of mind and how it will start in full blown mode as soon as Halloween is over.

Morning all

Nice bright, sunny and warm here now. Was a bit chilly out at 6am when I got up thought.

Thursday already so another weekend on the horizon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I started a Strictly thread. First celeb announced this morning.

Morning all

Sunny and warm enough start here. Believe weather is to be nice over the weekend and into next week.

Happy Friday.

Tell you what, it wasn't warm at 6.30am when I left the house, it was nice & bright & clear but for the first time in a while I had the heating up from the coldest setting in the car for the drive to work. Noticed it visibly darker when I woke up too.

I'm noticing more in the evenings now. Still bright past 9 if a clear/bright day however not much and earlier if cloudy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, it's definitely getting dark more around 9 than 10- the nights are drawing in. 😁

Europe hasn't dropped daylight savings time yet, no?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Is it too early to start the Christmas pudding? I was thinking of soaking the fruit in some Greek brandy. Some say rum is good also. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

We have a new little elf joining the Christmas forum....our little girl, Ivy, arrived safely today. Roll on Christmas when we can spoil her rotten 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Congratulations Jellybear and welcome to elf Ivy - such an appropriate name for and elf 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I haven't made a pudding for years now but used to make them in September so I guess you'd be fine as long as theres plenty alcohol in it and it's well wrapped. I only ever used whiskey in mine but Greek brandy sounds lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Cheers. It is called Metaxa - 6 euros for a bottle in a Greek supermarket.

Congrats JB, that is fabulous news. Great to hear all doing well. Babies and Christmas are a magical combination 😀

Just back from an afternoon in the zoo. Have an annual pass so try to go as much as we can. Is great that you can just see the animals you want and no pressure to try and do everything.

Hope all having a good weekend.

Congrats @jellybear that's fabulous news. Great to hear all doing well. Loads of memories to be made now.

Just back from dinner in Kajjal in Malahide, food was absolutely fabulous. If a fan of Indian I'd highly recommend. Gonna have a couple of beers now to close out the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Congrats on your new arrival!

I'm a very occasional poster here but the earlier sunsets have me thinking of Christmas and I have a hankering for traditional fairy lights which seem to be a thing of the past. LEDs are just too cold and bright, blah, blah the environment and fire hazard, but they just don't give the same effect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Congrats jellybear that’s fantastic news. Love the name to!

Advertisement