Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to start a career in SAR?

• 29-08-2019 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I want to get involved in Search and Rescue, I'd like to volunteer for now but one day I'd hope to make a career from it.
    Currently based in Galway/Athlone.

I've wanted to be a rescue swimmer from the time I knew they existed, I know that unless I suddenly find out I'm American and non-asthmatic, it's a pipe dream.

I've worked in construction sites and every other dark dusty, and crap filled place - Never had an issues with Asthma, but legally I still have it.
    Can I get involved even though I have asthma?

What's my best bet for getting into SAR? I'd love to work as a winchman (or rescue swimmer).
    I see the UK have a cadetship for Winchman, I'm a duel citizen with the UK, would that be a good route?
    What about Dublin Fire Brigade?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

MrMiata wrote: »
    I want to get involved in Search and Rescue, I'd like to volunteer for now but one day I'd hope to make a career from it.
    Currently based in Galway/Athlone.

I've wanted to be a rescue swimmer from the time I knew they existed, I know that unless I suddenly find out I'm American and non-asthmatic, it's a pipe dream.

I've worked in construction sites and every other dark dusty, and crap filled place - Never had an issues with Asthma, but legally I still have it.
    Can I get involved even though I have asthma?

What's my best bet for getting into SAR? I'd love to work as a winchman (or rescue swimmer).
    I see the UK have a cadetship for Winchman, I'm a duel citizen with the UK, would that be a good route?
    What about Dublin Fire Brigade?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Hi, I don’t know much about the make up of SAR but I do know the winchman is paramedic/advanced paramedic grade on the PHECC register. CHC have the contract in Ireland for that and they don’t train them themselves just take from the National register.

So aim for paramedic first and go from there. DFB should be recruiting end of September and they train you up to paramedic. Other than then it’s only National Ambulance Service and/or army who can get you that. No private paramedic courses at present in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

A fair amount of winchman/winch operators were trained into it in the Air Corps when it did SAR, and subsequently they moved over to Coast Guard/CHC employ.

The future of Irish SAR is a little uncertain. A new national plan is being formulated, AAIU investigation into R116 crash which gave rise to a new national plan remains to be completed. Basically it's not easy to give you definite advice.

If I really wanted to get into it right now, rather than paramedic first, I'd probably try the UK route, though I know little of the details. Just be careful it doesn't get you shanghied into several years of a military role you didn't want. Some ex UK-forces pilots on Irish SAR so you should be able to work your way back into it here in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

MrMiata wrote: »
    Where do you get off on saying that sort of sh*t?

Excuse yourself, I've proven myself far more confident than most.

Don’t feed the troll just ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Professional SAR limits you to Coast Guard helicopter. Unless you go for Fire Brigade, who regularly do the R.
    There are no rescue swimmers roles here.

If you would consider volunteering, there is the RNLI and volunteer Coast Guard and many inshore rescue units around the coast. Check out CRBI for details on these.

Lastly, you could set up your own group. No, dont dismiss it. All these volunteer rescue groups were set up by locals who just want to help in their own area. A friend of mine split from his inshore boat rescue group and set up his own mud rescue group. It just takes 3 or 4 dedicated people if 1 of them drives it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why is there no Rescue Swimmer service in Ireland?

We are an island surrounded with fishing boats and high seas. Surely Rescue Swimmers should be on hand to help save lives if a vessel goes down.

Does the UK have Rescue Swimmers?

They are integral part of life saving in the US Coastguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

There are no rescue swimmers because they're is no need for rescue swimmers. "IN MY OPINION" it is lunacy to dump someone into heavy seas and make another potential casualty. In Ireland and the UK the winch man is never off the rope when in the water...makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jn45672

Very difficult route to get into and each country have there own type qualifications. I know this as I did my course in NewZeland many a year ago for heli aicrewman in a twin Squirrel. Oz and new Zealand are probably the most easiest country to break into it without going military but still extremely difficult and expensive!! Having paramedic is a plus for CHC ireland, but now again it seems having 3-4 years all weather SAR is more appealing with minimum EMT, so basically military background... and Ireland have these in there ranks on the 139s. Good Luck!!

Advertisement