Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a bus driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Are there 'starter' routes for new drivers? How do you learn all the stops for a new route and are routes allocated based on proximity to where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

In college we had a driver on our route with only 9 fingers, we called him Johnny 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Public Opinion is remarkably fickle,and sometimes we who occupy the Internet,have to step back and remind ourselves that we do not represent the generality of that opinion,but rather a (vocal) sector.

This needs to be repeated to so many. What a brilliant point!!

Just looking to throw my question in the hat again incase you missed it: :)

My work involves a lot of driving (a car). Thankfully, I have a lot of leniency in my work and schedule, unlike a bus driver who has a timetable to keep.

I'd say at least once a fortnight, I'd have to pull into the hard shoulder and get an hours sleep. As someone driving all day, every day, do you not often find yourself fighting to keep your eyes open? If you do find yourself in this kind of a situation, do your company give you a free pass and let you swap drivers or buses so you can come off the road for a little while or end the day early? or do you get a bollocking and told to keep at it (making you not want to mention it in general?).

I appreciate the latter is much more dangerous, but also, presumably, a much more realistic situation?

• Company Representative Posts: 42 Verified rep I'm a Bus Driver, AMA

john boye wrote: »
    What's the driver's cab like in this weather? I must say it looks fierce stuffy from the outside.

It can be,but like a lot about the Job,personal preferences differ.
    Some drivers will seal up their space,whilst others will go open plan,with every window open and vent turned on.

I would know one individual who,even in the depths of winter,will have the cab heat turned off and drive in his zipped up anorak....Horses for courses I suppose ?

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Is inspector considered a promotion and is it very competitive to get that job? You get a hat :cool: Or maybe most drivers are happy to stay in the cab and don’t want the role?

Ever deal with a lazy cow who won’t fold up her buggy and so the wheelchair user gets left at the stop? And yet when I moved to Dublin fadó fadó the buses had steps and mothers managed somehow ?!?

Inspector grade was once the only promotional avenue available to busdrivers in the Public sector,however Supervision never interested me,so I never applied.

The advent of "Accessibility" legislation,and all that came with it,has brought a whole new raft of situations for Busdrivers AND Passengers to deal and cope with.

Once the Busdriver realises that they can only request cooperation in this regard,then things usually work out,but not always.

Modern Society,in general,has lost certain coping skills and instead now requires explicit directions for the most minor interactions,whereas previously a dollop of common-sense might have done the trick.

I'm late 20's, and have my medical for driving with a Dublin based company soon...is it worth it, in your opinion, before I make a career jump? (And yes, I do want it and have wanted it for a long time).

Speaking personally,for me it has been Totally "worth it".

It's impossible and undesirable for me (or anybody else) to do anything other than offer a personal opinion,and that's what I'm offering here.

Assess your situation and decide,remember you can always bale out if it's not what you want.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Do you get to choose your route? If so why would anyone have chosen the old 77 route? Or if it wasn't a choice did drivers kick up a storm on such routes as the 77

Drivers work what they are allocated generally,some have preferences and will attempt to swap onto particular routes etc.

As Drivers attain marked-in status,they then work that particular route or block of routes.

Plenty of Drivers spent decades on routes such as the 77,and had no issues.

Is it true that Dublin Bus drivers refer to passengers generically as 'skulls'?

How frequently do drivers start their route early so as to hit every stop before the time due, thereby having fewer passengers to deal with? I believe drivers have a term for this carry on: what is it?

"Skull" is an old Railway term,and references the Ticket Checker counting heads from the back of the carriage,as with many such terms it's slipping gradually away into the mists of time too.

Going sharp,as you describe, is another practice now becoming extinct,particularly with developments such as GPS location and on board telemetry.

However,memories live a lot longer than actualities,so it will take decades before people realize it's no longer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do Dublin Bus ever discipline their drivers that are reported for 'close passing' people that cycle in Dublin?

Do you know why so many drivers treat people that cycle with such little respect on public roads?
    Dublin bus drivers are highly trained and I find most and a high number at that give plenty of space....

The thing that's an issue is those that cycle up as the bus is turning or burst their way to get past as it's pulling in etc.

Even if you are answering as a bus driver, you didn't answer either question.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

greenspurs wrote: »
    Even if you are answering as a bus driver, you didn't answer either question.....

Yes they are disciplined.

Just looking to throw my question in the hat again incase you missed it: :)

Just to reassure those who have questions relating to the Job of busdriving,that I'm not ignoring them,but I don't have unlimited time available to do the Boards Shuffle,so if it takes a few days,I humbly beg pardon.

Also,the point of this AMA is to offer assistance,advice and personal experience on the Job in General.

I try to stay clear of Canteen Talk,over-the-garden-wall gossip,rumour and the Us & Them Union stuff,which many observers appear to think fully occupies a Busdrivers every waking moment....however,for me,It really does'nt,so those who might need such input will have to search elsewhere for it,no offence intended.

To return to your point KKV,regarding Sleep,it's something I have not experienced.
    It is a condition of employment,and also a legal requirement that a Driver be in a fit state to perform their duties,so ensuring you get sufficient rest,is part & parcel of the job.

People differ in their ability to cope with sleep deprivation,an issue which is very well known across all Professional Driving sectors.

The advent of ongoing Driver CPC courses ,and particularly the Health & Safety module,did raise awareness regarding Tiredness and also highlighted issues such as Sleep Apnoea and Narcolepsy,both of which can end a Professional Driving career.

So I'd suggest that most Truck,Coach and Bus drivers are far more aware of the dangers now,than at any time up to this,but yet again,the individual human being van have vastly differing tolerances.

Which routes are considered the good ones to get?

Ask any group of Busdrivers from differing garages in any City and you're likely to get a broad range of answers.

For example,some Drivers do not like cross-city routes,whilst other like the buzz of that type of operation.

The job remains the same....Get from A to Z as safely and Comfortably as possible.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Are there 'starter' routes for new drivers? How do you learn all the stops for a new route and are routes allocated based on proximity to where you live?

Different operators have differing approaches I suspect.

The prevailing situation in my own company is based on a gradual progression through routes in the location...gradually leading to full familiarity by the end of the probationary period.

Training is the key.

It is somewhat commonsensical to keep staff within a reasonable distance from their base,however the demands of individual locations can alter,so no guarantees can be given.

Often a new entrant will become quite comfortable in their first location,and not bother following through on moving closer to home.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mod:
    Dog Man Star warned for uncivil posting. I have removed his post and any replies in an effort to keep this thread on topic.

Dog Man Star, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Em.....what is the best way to keep safe on a bus at night or anytime.

Thank you :)

Em.....what is the best way to keep safe on a bus at night or anytime.

Thank you :)

Be observant,be aware of your surroundings,take reasonable precaution as in using the available technology such as CCTV viewers,and plain ol' mirrors to see who's where in the vehicle.

In short,take an interest,and be seen to be interested in what's happenin around you,an attitude which goes for the entirety of the Job,not just physical safety.

It may not be the recieved wisdom,but Dublin remains a largely safe environment,even if the media would wish to portray it otherwise.

Have you ever had anyone do the dirty on the bus???

Ever had someone relieve themselves???

How do you find taxi drivers towards you?

Do you know what went on on the 18 route?

What do you do when the bus stop is blocked by taxis or delivery vans or trucks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Do you ever tactically use the accelerator to 'help' elderly passengers to sit down more quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Has a passenger ever asked you out?

• Advertisement

Have you ever had anyone do the dirty on the bus???
    Adult,no. Infant,yes.
    Ever had someone relieve themselves???
    See Above
    How do you find taxi drivers towards you?
    Generally grand,In fact quite often the driver holding back to allow me out,will be a Taxidriver.
    Do you know what went on on the 18 route?
    No.
    What do you do when the bus stop is blocked by taxis or delivery vans or trucks?
    Nothing. I don't have any power to physically move them,and it's totally unproductive to get myself upset about them,so I just deal with it as I would any other obstruction.

Do you ever tactically use the accelerator to 'help' elderly passengers to sit down more quickly?

Absolutely not....why would any trained Busdriver even want to do this ?

Has a passenger ever asked you out?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hope this isn't the wrong place but what actually happened on the 18 a couple of years ago or is that top secret I'm genuinely curious to find out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Is it actually true that some drivers refused to drive buses during the European elections for Gemma O'Doherty? I didn't think drivers just like most passengers would even look at the ads on the side of buses. Does it actually ever happen that drivers refuse to drive buses due to a moral objection to the ads that are on them?

Also what's your opinion on spotters SG323?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A passenger places their Leap card on your underpowered and overworked Wayfarer machine to pay their €1.55 fare. You press the relevant button, and they take the card away after a reasonable amount of time, but before the transaction has been processed...

Do you call them back?

Probably a silly question and apologies if already asked, but i haven't seen it:

Did you set out to be a bus driver? A friend of mine's dad drove a bus, and my friend, during school, was obsessed with driving buses. Never actually did it in the end though.

Or did you just happen to fall into it?

Also, despite the AMA you're doing now, if you clock out and go home, and someone mentions buses, do you eagerly discuss the ins and outs of the bus world, or do you wish an early death on the person for talking to you about 'work' on your down time?

Do you read up on the new bus models coming in, read online enthusiast forums, look at pics, etc. or is a bus just another random vehicle to potter about in and you don't actually care about it beyond it being comfortable?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Hope this isn't the wrong place but what actually happened on the 18 a couple of years ago or is that top secret I'm genuinely curious to find out now?

Yeah me too. :o

In the doing the dirt I meant get it on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Ever had a dispute with the company and had full support from the union only for them to throw you under the (actual?) bus at the eleventh hour? Seems to be a common theme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Has any complaint to Dublin Bus (about drivers, speeding, etc.) ever been dealt with or do they all go directly into the bin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement