Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

• 26-03-2019 11:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

With the recent addition of the Off-topic discussion thread, I am closing the current McGregor thread so that chat going forward can be located in the correct threads. This thread is for MMA related discussion only - any other gossip/showbiz type stories are to be discussed in the off topic thread.

Please make sure to review the updated charter before posting - there have been some amendments made in light of these changes and in posting here you are at all times expected to follow those rules and guidelines.

As before there is a strict rule on no chat to be had here about legal issues or court cases as per the charter - this is a strict no go regardless of where it has or hasn't been posted in the media it is not allowed on boards.ie at all. This is not up for debate and it has been said multiple times now.

Axwell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭redarmy

1st :)

• [Redacted]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So assuming the retirement tweet was indeed a publicity stunt or bargaining counter, Dana is having absolutely none of it judging by his reaction. So it would seem that any chances of fans getting to see him fight in 2019 hinges entirely upon Conor backing down from whatever his current grievance is, and that anyone else backing down is highly unlikely.

Quite the rollercoaster if, like me, you got excited over the "we're looking at July 2019" stuff and then got hit with this retirement announcement later that same day!

• Conor has had more retirements than title defenses. Since April 2016 he has had the same amount of wins as retirements. I'm not sure that his heart is still in it as much as it was pre-Mayweather. Hard to find that hunger I suppose when you're worth 9 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor has had more retirements than title defenses. Since April 2016 he has had the same amount of wins as retirements.
    He's has never actually been retired. If he actually did he's be out of the USADA pool.
    He's either taking the piss, bargaining, talking about getting a stake again, or just rambling.

It’s mad how people choose to take stuff he says seriously, when it fits a certain narrative. Even though since day one, he’s been saying mad stuff all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dana said Conor will never be made a part owner in the way he wants. His exact words are "Listen, if you want to own a piece of the company, you have to put up the money to buy a piece of the company," White explained ... "That's how it works." Seems about right to me.

In other kind of news Artem was asked if Conor is leaving SBG

"No, Conor is still with us, we are all still a part of SBG. The thing is that many of the SBG fighters that have kind of retired now or whatever, they have opened their own SBG gyms. So we all will often train not only at the main SBG but other SBG gyms. For example, Peter Queally opened SBG Naas and that’s a great facility, so Conor and many of us would often train there. There’s SBG D24 with Paddy Holohan; we’ve got many SBGs now so as a result it may seem sometimes that we’re not all there at SBG HQ, but we still are all a part of SBG."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm not sure that his heart is still in it as much as it was pre-Mayweather.

Nobody thinks his heart is still in it like it was. Literally nobody.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Autecher wrote: »
    Dana said Conor will never be made a part owner in the way he wants. His exact words are "Listen, if you want to own a piece of the company, you have to put up the money to buy a piece of the company," White explained ... "That's how it works." Seems about right to me.

He could always take a percentage of the company instead of his show money/PPV points money. I assume Conor is looking for show money, PPV points and a cut of the company though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

<snip>

Mod: There is literally a post a few before yours saying do not discuss this here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Andy Magic wrote: »
    <snip>

Old news, just being reported in the US now looks like you need to go have a read of the OP though.

Although is there much point in an MMA related Mcgregor thread now he has called it quits.

• Advertisement

Andy Magic wrote: »
    <snip>

It's even in the New York Times FFS.

Everybody knows.

Everybody knows you can't talk about it here.

It's not even fight related.

Although is there much point in an MMA related Mcgregor thread now he has called it quits.

We can still discuss the various McGregors of the past.
    Staph infection Conor, Eddie Conor, Aldo Conor, Touch Butt Conor.

I rewatched the fight with Siver a couple of weeks ago.
    Siver McGregor was one of my favourite versions of McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Effects wrote: »
    We can still discuss the various McGregors of the past.
    Staph infection Conor, Eddie Conor, Aldo Conor, Touch Butt Conor.

I rewatched the fight with Siver a couple of weeks ago.
    Siver McGregor was one of my favourite versions of McGregor.

Can't forget cornrow McGregor against Poirier.

For anyone reading too much into Dana White's comments:

D2kPr5PVAAYWmMn.jpg:small

Can someone who understands the ins and outs of USADA's rules explain something: The last time he announced his retirement (prior to Diaz II) there was a lot of comment about how he would have to decide fairly quickly whether it was for real or not, due to the requirement for fighters who have any possibility of fighting again in the near future being signed up with USADA for random drug testing, in and out of competition.

How often are these tests done, roughly speaking, and more importantly, how long does a fighter have to be signed up to them before they can be cleared to fight? For instance, let's suppose Conor stops being tested and legitimately retires for six months, and then decides to "come out of retirement" for a fight. Once he announces this, he'll obviously again be subject to the USADA regime, but since the tests are random and presumably need to be done a few times in order to ensure that someone really is entirely clean, how long after re-submitting to the testing regime would he be allowed to fight? I presume there's a minimum time requirement between initially signing up to those tests, and being allowed to step into the Octagon or even announce a fight?

Essentially I'm just wondering, if he does follow through on this and pull out of all his drug testing requirements as a result, what sort of timeframe then becomes the absolute minimum between deciding to return, and actually being allowed to. I presume it's at least a month or two?

EDIT: Yikes. The info was easier to find than I had expected, and apparently it's six full months between re-submitting to USADA and being allowed to compete :eek:

https://www.usada.org/athletes/retire/

He has to formally write to them to withdraw and officially retire, so basically there are two possibilities here:

(a) He's serious about it for the time being at least, and will therefore withdraw from testing and thus face a minimum six month wait from the day he decides to come back, if he does - or,
    (b) He's either not serious at all, or he's serious about it, but he'll discreetly continue to be tested on the basis that he might decide to come back.

So assuming the announcement is legit, it basically depends whether his mindset has any finality to it, or whether he's already decided privately that he might be open to changing his mind. If it's the former, we could be looking at a looooooooong wait to see him fight again, if he actually pulls the trigger on withdrawing from USADA for retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd put money on him not having contacted USADA to formally withdraw from the testing pool

cletus wrote: »
    I'd put money on him not having contacted USADA to formally withdraw from the testing pool

I'm assuming this retirement announcement is another power struggle so I'd feel the same way - the only issue is, and others might know more than I do here, how discreet are USADA / how susceptible to leaks are they? In other words, if he's announced retirement but he decides to remain in the testing pool just in case, how likely is it that this would leak to the public? Furthermore, I presume a competitive organisation like the UFC has more or less instant access to USADA information on people contracted to them, so would this not weaken his bargaining position (assuming that's what he's after with this announcement) - IE, they'll be able to quickly verify with USADA that he hasn't withdrawn, and thus go into any negotiations with a guarantee that this whole thing is a bluff and therefore they don't need to take him seriously?

Not that they were ever going to cave in to him anyway, but if he was thinking they might, you'd imagine this would have crossed his mind. Seems like an easy way for the organisation to verify whether or not his retirement is legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some hoop on yer wan in his latest Instagram post.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how likely is it that this would leak to the public?

Test counts are publicly reported.
    Conor has been tested twice this year. if he's tested a third, it confirms he's still in the pool (there's really no doubt that he is though)

• Conor is so good at retiring..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Conor is so good at retiring..

Has more retirements than title defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Kavanagh on the "retirement"

Not that long ago but feels like a different lifetime. 2 lads (1 with a dodgy lip ring) travelling economy around the world trying to make a dream become reality. I dont know what the future holds but I do know because of @thenotoriousmma I've done more in the last 5 years than I would have ever imagined I'd do in a lifetime #grateful 🙏🏼

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvj84AkniLj/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Autecher wrote: »
    Kavanagh on the "retirement"

Not that long ago but feels like a different lifetime. 2 lads (1 with a dodgy lip ring) travelling economy around the world trying to make a dream become reality. I dont know what the future holds but I do know because of @thenotoriousmma I've done more in the last 5 years than I would have ever imagined I'd do in a lifetime #grateful ðŸ™ðŸ¼

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvj84AkniLj/

But they fell out and Kavanagh is embarrassed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I see he spent the night reminiscing and looking to have records changed

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1111796425870983168?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Someone should tell him that clock isnt the official time

• Has-been behavior..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He's typing about retirement with the left hand and making contract talks with the right "before anymore talks commence." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its an amazing sport when you think about it. Global megastar based on 10 fights in 3 and a half years and one fight in the last 2 and a half years in the UFC. About an hour and 15 minutes in total in a UFC Octagon. The equivalent of 2 full boxing matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Nal wrote: »
    Its an amazing sport when you think about it. Global megastar based on 10 fights in 3 and a half years and one fight in the last 2 and a half years in the UFC. About an hour and 15 minutes in total in a UFC Octagon. The equivalent of 2 full boxing matches.

More the individual than the the sport, nobody else could have had the impact he's had........like him or loathe him he's a 1 in a million character

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And in fairness McGregor has a record of 21-4 with 18 tko/ko, a lot of it in a weight class that isn't known for knockouts. He was/is a great fighter, on top of the major personality he's created for himself.

Advertisement