Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FG Jukebox

Comments

I quite like this short live performance...

Green&Red wrote: »
    Listening to the new National album. A lot more female vocals, unsure how I feel about that

Although tbf i havent heard the new national anthem, our national anthem is **** anyways

Unless you actually meant national album but i cant see anything for that

Whitney Houston or Freddie Mercury gretaest ever singer?

Or someone else who i am forgetting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If you mean voices, celine dion would be up there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    If you mean voices, celine dion would be up there.

It's probably me really though. Voice of an angel. Must post a clip of me live in concert later :pac:

• Advertisement

Whitney Houston or Freddie Mercury gretaest ever singer?

Or someone else who i am forgetting

I'd definitely have Freddie as possibly the greatest, and I'm not even a Queen freak. Take away his songwriting ability, his musicianship, his stage presence and there was still that voice.

Whitney could sing anything, but only a minority of her songs really show off the potential of her vocal IMO. Yes, take her version of 'I Will Always Love You' and you certainly have one of the best recorded pop vocals of all time. But then take something like 'My Love Is Your Love' or 'It's Not Right But It's Ok' from her early 00s album, as an artist her sound adapted but these songs didn't primarily show off her voice.

I just feel Freddie was more consistent throughout his career with the challenges he gave himself and his voice over someone like Whitney...who of course was still amazing. Towards the very end of his life and career, during some very dark days, Freddie was recording 'Barcelona' and putting down some amazing vocals on Queen's 'Made In Heaven' album, all while he was days from death.

I'd have Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush up there too, and they even did a serious duet together...

Other shouts: Aretha, Sinatra, Elvis, Cornell, Plant, Jackson, George Michael, Karen Carpenter, Annie Lennox, Ella Fitzgerald. Personally, I'd commit genocide for Norah Jones. :D Also, 80s Bono was a force of nature. Never mind U2, listen to his collaboration with Clannad 'In a Lifetime' for a good example.

It is a subjective thing, but maybe not as subjective as something like 'best songwriter' or 'best performer'. Of course the likes of Bob Dylan and Neil Young belong in the same sentence as Freddie Mercury when we're talking about the great songwriters and their influence, but in terms of technical singing ability, there's no comparison.

Btw, we can't have mentions of Whitney and Mariah without posting this classic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Boy and Bear released a new single yesterday and announced a European tour, although no Dublin date yet.

If you like Mumford and Sons you'll like these lads IMO

Music from one of the most moving montages I've seen...

Have you ever wanted to see Andrea Boceli and Michael Caine, appear together

https://vimeo.com/270919801

There is no full video on youtube, I'm still searching for the full concert

But is you ever want to drift away to a little fishing village, with sun and Mr Andrea you should watch this.

An hour of getting your brain massaged if you are like me

Bar the great music, I love the people who could afford seats made it on camera but so did the people who lived in the village made it on camera.

To me its just fantastic in every way the place looks amazing and I really hope to get here someday

• Advertisement

Now Rikands competition is fully closed I can post some of the very common (i think) electronic music Ive listened to that ive liked and part knew

Insomnia

Children

Maniac (Disco tooooooooone :) )

Sandstorm

I may or may not have picks from this but I wanted to post while its somewhat fresh

I had forgotten how good Sinead O'Connor was as a singer

In this she is near flawless in a very hard song to sing, before the equalising technology on voices

there was this, which is amazing, her voice is haungthing/

If one of the mods see this maybe they can add this to the last post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_XoZhEX3kQ

no idea why it wont save

Another thing I forgot about, twas a a viral thing at the time but **** me this dude can sing

I found the scene I was looking for, i had totally forgotten Julain roberts was in this, this is just a fantastic movie and if you haven't watched it you should

If you aren't Irish spoilers in video (sound qaulity is ****e)

The new Aladin soundtrack sucks compare to the original.

1 good song really, will smith is terrible singing wise in his role

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Love this song. Thought id share in case anyone else will too :)

I've posted some of these before but ive ended up down a dodgy NSFW hole again

Mostly rap so enjoy Rikand if you choone in :P

category: noise, angry noise

(little side note ive no idea if its true but I was told by at south african at a wedding recently that die antwoord are from a posh ares of south africa)

I love the mickey mouse jumper, in an over 18s song its just a nice touch.

I could get deeper into reasoning om stuff but **** its a good song and a type you wont hear often

'I FINK U FREEKY' by DIE ANTWOORD

I actually love the accent, and the dancing (actually the song has a great interchange of dance to rap) So i guess I'm learning

I'll hopefully put something together for Rikands walrus later

But i guess selflessly i made this thread so I'd remember songs.

And the 1 song i didn't want to forget from Rikands walrus was

Ah paul brady how do i ever forget this voice,

• Advertisement

I must apologise for this not hitting the jukebox before now but an Irish classic from the 90s is here now

I'd never heard of Paul hardcastle before Banjos catchphrase clue

I love the contrasting message/video to the upbeat music very powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That same song features heavily as an influence in the GLCs Roller disco, a harrowing take of youth culture in early 80s Walez (that's street for Wales, boiiiii)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Banjo wrote: »
    That same song features heavily as an influence in the GLCs Roller disco, a harrowing take of youth culture in early 80s Walez (that's street for Wales, boiiiii)

Ha ha, love GLC! :)

For Micks...

It's a sublime piece of music in all seriousness.

I've actually been listening to the soundtrack from season 8 all week, probably the only good thing to come out of season 8 :D

Ya thats a beautiful piece of music

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Mrs G&R came up the aisle to this at the weekend, savage song

Edit: on a phone, can’t seem to post the YouTube link, Birdy - Wings
    https://youtu.be/WJTXDCh2YiA

Thats a class song and a really great choice for a wedding.

Hope everything went well and massive congrats dude...

I know **** get digitally remastered, but this song in this movie is one of the best things ive ever heard

Bad Times at the El Royale

is the movie so there are some spoilers.

I really like the movie it was pulp fiction esk but light

The director in this was involved in the cabin in the woods and a few other things

The movies itself is a great watch, and the actors took a pay cut to appear in it apparently

• Advertisement

When singers melt into the music of the song

Advertisement