Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Tipp in 16 cork in 13 or should I say barry kelly and waterford in x tra time last year have beaten us since 06.how nany times have we beaten thise teams in that time.clare in the league cause us problems but we beat them come championship .as for linerick I was at the game in 73 (never forget the rain)when we lost(havent lost to them since.As for wexford and galway our record against them speaks for itself.maybe they wont worry about us but we certaintly wont fear any of them.

I've never put any heed in this "we don't fear them" mullarkey. It's funny how you never hear that in any other sport.

Your point was about Kilkenny having "pedigree" as if this somehow mattered. It doesn't. Kilkenny have lost their last championship games against nearly all counties they are likely to meet from now on so any sense that "pedigree" somehow matters is deluded. None of these young players care what happened in 1973 or 1952.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

Powerhouse wrote: »
    The problem with ranking Kilkenny 8th in the country is that assuming them to be the second best team in Leinster it means that there are six teams outside Leinster who would beat them which means that you are saying they wouldn't win the Joe MacDonagh cup! Obviously that makes no sense.

Whatever notional ranking Kilkenny are given here's the reality. Worst case scenario Kilkenny (irrespective of how they do against Wexford) are one game away from an All Ireland semi-final (even losing to Wexford, which I don't expect they are in an All Ireland QF anyway). If they beat Wexford (even if they subsequently lost to Galway) they would play the third team in Munster and have a really good chance of winning that game.

Whatever notional ranking we give Kilkenny the point I made here last February still stands i.e. that they probably should reach an All Ireland semi final at least not because they are great but because the format of the competition protects them from a lot of the teams who are potentially better. To be honest about it the Leinster championship and the standard of the teams in it given the one of them was Offaly and another Dublin (albeit much better than expected as it turned out) more or less guaranteed a lot of progress in the championship for Kilkenny.

Of course whether getting to the last four in the championship necessarily makes you one of the best four teams in another discussion (Tipperary got there for the last four years and have 0 wins from 3 games this year) but it's hard to imagine when people look back on the year that Kilkenny will be seventh or eighth in the rankings.

Dublin should have beaten Kilkenny if they converted their frees. Wexford have performed better in the championship than we have. So seventh, eight or indeed ninth is a reasonable assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

I've never put any heed in this "we don't fear them" mullarkey. It's funny how you never hear that in any other sport.

Your point was about Kilkenny having "pedigree" as if this somehow mattered. It doesn't. Kilkenny have lost their last championship games against nearly all counties they are likely to meet from now on so any sense that "pedigree" somehow matters is deluded. None of these young players care what happened in 1973 or 1952.

Well we will see going forward.waterford in 16 a good example of pedigree.when they saw the winning line they retreated while ours kept doing what they do.anyway we will see.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Well we will see going forward.waterford in 16 a good example of pedigree.when they saw the winning line they retreated while ours kept doing what they do.anyway we will see.

Yeah, but why didn't the same thing happen to Waterford in '17 then? Pedigree hadn't changed one iota. Likewise Galway beat Kilkenny comfortably recently despite having a poor record against them in the past decade or so, one win in the previous 12 matches I think it was. They were just much better.

If Kilkenny do as well as you say they will then they'll do it for good solid technical hurling reasons and not because of what happened in the mists of time. There are guys hurling in this year's championship too young to remember 2006 never mind be psychologically affected by what Kilkenny did back then.

blackcard wrote: »
    Dublin should have beaten Kilkenny if they converted their frees. Wexford have performed better in the championship than we have. So seventh, eight or indeed ninth is a reasonable assessment

I think you are trying too hard now. Better if it appears natural and believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think you are trying too hard now. Better if it appears natural and believable.

So where would you rank KK?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Kk have to be top 4.winners in 14 and 15 beaten in 16 knocked out in xtra time by beaten 17 finalists league winners in 18 by any ranking judgement were in the top
    2 or 3.championship will go back to old format from quarter finals on.

blackcard wrote: »
    So where would you rank KK?

top 5 definitely. top 4 probably. i predicted in January that theyd be beaten all ireland semi finalists and have seen nothing to change that so far. but unless they improve they are vulnerable in a quarter final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

anyone attend the under 21 match today against waterford or how did it go?

i just seen kk won by two points im sure management wont be happy to concede 4 goals so work to do there but good to see young tommy walsh back and scoring a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

The Munster Championship is a great spectacle. About time Derek Mcgrath played 15 on 15 with Waterford, they could be a match for anyone playing like that with the 4/5 top players to come back.They stumbled across an excellent full back in Conor Gleeson . 2 fumbled balls by Brick Walsh & Austin Gleeson cost them big time.

Munster championship has been top drawer stuff, really exciting. Leinster championship has been awful viewing so far apart from the first game. Wexford have been disappointing and offer very little really. Davy will have to change is out of date tactics. Great to see the traditional hurling prevail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Is it true kk were given the weekend off from training? Good idea if true, sometimes less is more

minty81 wrote: »
    Is it true kk were given the weekend off from training? Good idea if true, sometimes less is more

Trained Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Moosey15

Village87 wrote: »
    minty81 wrote: »

Trained Sunday

wonder how close are the lads like kevin kelly,jason cleere and joe lyng are to making the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I have great respect for Brian Cody but he has got it completely wrong looling for a Munster team to be relegated.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,180 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Xenophile wrote: »
    I have great respect for Brian Cody but he has got it completely wrong looling for a Munster team to be relegated.

How ?

No one is allowed say anything about munster hurling ?

".... but..but .. what about Munster..."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Meant to post a while back.....

I was buying tickets in my local Centra shop for the KK V Offaly game, and I asked about tickets for the Ardan OCearbhaill (behind the goal) , and I was told they weren't on sale ?

I got tickets for the DeGras instead, and when I got up there the stand behind the goal had only a few dozen people in there.

is it the same situation for sat nights match ? ie . no tickets to buy for behind the goal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

greenspurs wrote: »
    Meant to post a while back.....

I was buying tickets in my local Centra shop for the KK V Offaly game, and I asked about tickets for the Ardan OCearbhaill (behind the goal) , and I was told they weren't on sale ?

I got tickets for the DeGras instead, and when I got up there the stand behind the goal had only a few dozen people in there.

is it the same situation for sat nights match ? ie . no tickets to buy for behind the goal ?

Not sure about Centra...
    But tickets for all three stands and the town end terrace are available on gaa.tickets.ie at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

Will it be a full house Saturday evening in the park a must win game for kilkenny the best of luck to the team.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    The Munster Championship is a great spectacle. About time Derek Mcgrath played 15 on 15 with Waterford, they could be a match for anyone playing like that with the 4/5 top players to come back.They stumbled across an excellent full back in Conor Gleeson . 2 fumbled balls by Brick Walsh & Austin Gleeson cost them big time.

Munster championship has been top drawer stuff, really exciting. Leinster championship has been awful viewing so far apart from the first game. Wexford have been disappointing and offer very little really. Davy will have to change is out of date tactics. Great to see the traditional hurling prevail.

People talk about the kilkenny full back line who did people rate the tipperary full back line last sunday bad. The all Ireland is galways to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Pat Treacy wrote: »
    People talk about the kilkenny full back line who did people rate the tipperary full back line last sunday bad. The all Ireland is galways to loose.

Galway look to have the best full back line so far. But they have not had a proper test yet. I believe they are deserving favs but I think they can be beaten. Whoever wins this All Ireland will need a bit of luck and no injuries to key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Will it be a full house Saturday evening in the park a must win game for kilkenny the best of luck to the team.

Is it a must win for either team really though?
    Likelihood is that both teams will end up in the quarter finals

I wonder about that any game against Wexford is a must win situation especially in your own back yard.

Galway look to have the best full back line so far. But they have not had a proper test yet. I believe they are deserving favs but I think they can be beaten. Whoever wins this All Ireland will need a bit of luck and no injuries to key players.

But who is going to beat them ?
    Cork, or Limerick ? Because KK couldn't, and the way Tipp and Waterford are going I couldnt see them beating Galway either.

greenspurs wrote: »

But who is going to beat them ?
    Cork, or Limerick ? Because KK couldn't, and the way Tipp and Waterford are going I couldnt see them beating Galway either.
    While theres no doubt galway are rightfully favourites for the ai the only thing is at the moment galway havent being properly tested yet.The 3 teams they've beat already were poor but they can obviously only beat what they play but there's a long way to go and we've seen at semi final stage with no safety net anything can happen especially if the media and supporters blow you up as unbeatable.
    division 1b has suited them while other teams were going harder than others this is like galway playing the league in 1a now while ourselves and wexford were tired on our 3rd week but everyone knew the format and a league title was important for our rebuild but a win saturday and day out in croker is also important.
    While all teams have injuries during a campaign some are hit harder than others and galway are lucky to have a settled team with a brillant spine and a full deck with the exception of colm callinan

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

brookville wrote: »
    While theres no doubt galway are rightfully favourites for the ai the only thing is at the moment galway havent being properly tested yet.The 3 teams they've beat already were poor but they can obviously only beat what they play but there's a long way to go and we've seen at semi final stage with no safety net anything can happen especially if the media and supporters blow you up as unbeatable.
    division 1b has suited them while other teams were going harder than others this is like galway playing the league in 1a now while ourselves and wexford were tired on our 3rd week but everyone knew the format and a league title was important for our rebuild but a win saturday and day out in croker is also important.
    While all teams have injuries during a campaign some are hit harder than others and galway are lucky to have a settled team with a brillant spine and a full deck with the exception of colm callinan

If they win the Leinster Final as easily as the other games in Leinster they just might get caught in a Semi. I do think that Tipp team can beat if they get out of Munster. I don’t think KK are strong enough physically for them. But we may give them a better game next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The county board are only expecting a crowd of around 15k to 17k

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Just wondering does anyone have the U-21 team that played Waterford on Monday?

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »

Why dont the bottom team in Munster play the bottom team in Leinster in a Relegation Play off ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement