Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

• 15-02-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find a suitable thread to post this so let's have a general discussion thread!

Someone on the Oculus Rift Group on Facebook built a tower PC with a monitor built into the case using 3d printed parts to mount it inside, specifically for VR.

441827.jpg

No pics of the inside to show how it's mounted yet, but I'll post them up if I see them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cool, portability is the reason I went laptop, but that is a cool upgradeable solution :)

Im planning on taking the Rift out into the middle of a field sometime and putting it on YouTube (how the oirish play VR or some such rubbish)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If I ever had the need for a portable mains powered VR setup, I too would prefer to build something myself rather than pay a fortune for a very high powered laptop. However, I'd go down the route of building a PC and Monitor into a musical instrument type flightcase.

Calibos wrote: »
    If I ever had the need for a portable mains powered VR setup, I too would prefer to build something myself rather than pay a fortune for a very high powered laptop. However, I'd go down the route of building a PC and Monitor into a musical instrument type flightcase.

I needed a laptop for work so it sorta worked out for me, but I agree these things can be pricey to get a decent VR-spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Was asking a few questions to a dev about Neon Retro Arcade, he didn't dismiss a PSVR version but most interestingly he said that some arcade game makers, more than one had been in touch about licencing their software. I would happily buy official arcade cabinets as DLC in whatever games they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Was asking a few questions to a dev about Neon Retro Arcade, he didn't dismiss a PSVR version but most interestingly he said that some arcade game makers, more than one had been in touch about licencing their software. I would happily buy official arcade cabinets as DLC in whatever games they are in.

It’s a shame you can’t build your own arcade style yet and the emulation has limitations based on an old liberty core.

Don’t suppose he mentioned anything about an editor for designing your own layout of the actual rooms and walls themselves?

• Advertisement

I remember them saying it was impossible since it's designed in Unreal, I could be wrong though.

I remember them saying it was impossible since it's designed in Unreal, I could be wrong though.

Didn’t stop me from buying it anyway but haven’t really played it since.

With those sit down arcade cabinets GameStop will be selling in October I won’t have a need for a VR arcade anymore!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

NRA (ooer)has been one of my favourite VR things so far. Even when I havent had games running I had a few recordings of old pirate irish radio stations playing in the background...hearing the music , news and weather from a morning in january 1985 while chilling out in an 80s style room in vr is nostalgia overload.;)
    a PSVR version would need totally legit licensed cabs though..seeing as Sony and all..

Doge wrote: »
    Didn’t stop me from buying it anyway but haven’t really played it since.

With those sit down arcade cabinets GameStop will be selling in October I won’t have a need for a VR arcade anymore!

Sit down arcade cabinets???

Do tell :)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    NRA (ooer)has been one of my favourite VR things so far. Even when I havent had games running I had a few recordings of old pirate irish radio stations playing in the background...hearing the music , news and weather from a morning in january 1985 while chilling out in an 80s style room in vr is nostalgia overload.;)
    a PSVR version would need totally legit licensed cabs though..seeing as Sony and all..

Ha! Same as that almost, I just had RTE Gold playing through the radio station instead. Yeah I was asking about legit games for psvr and if they could license them from capcom or similar when he said that companies like Capcom were looking to licence the NRA for their own project.

Please God make it happen.

• Advertisement

I was playing a game on my Rift last night. It's one of those "one more go" affairs where you get better bit by bit.

Started around 9pm and played for what I thought was at most 2 hours.

Clicked on "Desktop" ... 3:48am!

The thing is, I was in daylight the whole time in the game, so my brain thought I was in a new timezone and didn't tell me to feel sleepy. Dangerous stuff this VR.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sit down arcade cabinets???

Do tell :)

Everything you need to know is in this thread in Arcade And Retro:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057842440

Don't be a stranger round there, we don't bite! ;)

Everything you need to know is in this thread in Arcade And Retro:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057842440

Don't be a stranger round there, we don't bite! ;)

Looks cool, though not sure I'd have the space for it!

Was playing Super Sidekicks 2 on NRAN last night and that has me sufficiently immersed until I get a bigger pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Skyrim is the best experience, the only VR I play regularly.

Skerries wrote: »
    SuperData-Research-Virtual-Reality-XR-Report-2.png

Surprised Job Simulator is doing so well. It's a polished game for sure, but you hardly see anyone talking about it. Plus it's more of an experience than a game really.. like Accounting +

Skyrim only came out in November, it did pretty well for 5 weeks and being the number one game of the whole year.

Surprised Job Simulator is doing so well. It's a polished game for sure, but you hardly see anyone talking about it. Plus it's more of an experience than a game really.. like Accounting +

It's probably because it was such an early release on PSVR it done so well I'd imagine.

It's probably because it was such an early release on PSVR it done so well I'd imagine.

Doing well on PC too...I would have thought Eleven or Dirt or Lone Echo would be higher

So anyone hear the bad news about the Rift?

A certificate has expired in the runtime environment meaning we can't use our Rifts until they release a software update.

Full story and possible workaround here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/its-not-just-you-every-oculus-rift-effectively-bricked-right-now

• Advertisement

lol

445020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Spent half the evening trying to fix the bloody thing only to google it and...

Fooking facebook.

w78b0jh47ek01.gif

Apparently we're getting €15 credit ?!

Happy out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing Doom VFR right now on the PSVR, well, not right now, I'm in work....
    But it's amazing stuff, I'm playing it on close to normal controls as possible, just great.
    No nausea here!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm playing Doom VFR right now on the PSVR, well, not right now, I'm in work....
    But it's amazing stuff, I'm playing it on close to normal controls as possible, just great.
    No nausea here!

Yeah it's really kick ass. Just completed it myself there 2 nights ago with the Aim controller.

After you complete it you can play through the missions with all the weapons you gained through the campaign and this is most excellent indeed. At the moment trying to find all the secrets in order to get the classic levels.

I'd go so far as to say this is my favourite PSVR game at the moment.

Yeah it's really kick ass. Just completed it myself there 2 nights ago with the Aim controller.

After you complete it you can play through the missions with all the weapons you gained through the campaign and this is most excellent indeed. At the moment trying to find all the secrets in order to get the classic levels.

I'd go so far as to say this is my favourite PSVR game at the moment.

Interesting.

Might get this at some stage then.

Well...This coming to PSVR as well as everything else, I can't see myself not playing this until I drop dead.

Interesting.

Might get this at some stage then.

I dunno man, you seem to be pretty picky :p

You'll probably hate it :)

• Advertisement

Anyone have some favourite YouTubers they watch playing VR.

I love to watch Josh Dub if I fancy a laugh, he's pretty funny and not too over the top and in your face like Jacksepticeye and people like that.

Without Parole is probably my favourite channel for PSVR reviews.

And Sweviver is pretty cool for watching someone enthusiastically playing VR mods and games.

Advertisement