Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I didn't know who "Harro" was. Some player from the Asian Tour perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I didn't know who "Harro" was. Some player from the Asian Tour perhaps?

Yeah, they call him Paddy too, so maybe its Paddy Fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Has Coltart replaced Rob Lee as one of the main commentators? Big thumbs up from me if that's the case.

Also don't remember hearing Monty at the last few tournaments? Not that I'm complaining mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Monty is working for one of the US stations now. I saw him on the android box.

The chipping lessons with Butch Harmon was pretty cool. Explained simply and clearly

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Monty is working for one of the US stations now. I saw him on the android box.

Fair play to him. Hopefully there's some sort of non-compete clause in his contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Coltart is difficult to understand. His accent is very strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Darren Clarke is painful to listen to.He never ****ing shuts up in commentary.You don't need to fill up every single but of air time with talk this isn't radio , let the game and the players play speak for itself at times please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm getting sick of this "he's in a really good place at the moment" followed by something like "He's just got engaged/married" or "He has new girlfriend" or "they have had a child".

Then there is Jason Day. Why do they have to mention his mother or his private life after every bad shot. We all know his mother has not been well but it is disrespectful to constantly bring her ills up every time he has bad round. Not sure what its like on Australian TV but I hope she doesn't have access to Sky TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

^^^^ I'm guessing McGinley?^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

'Boy this guy can really play, I like him' ......... cheers Butch keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Just me or is this coverage worse than usual.

don't think I have a shot from anyone around the -4 mark. It's either the top 3/4 or dustin /spieth

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Harrington's cameo at the masters was so refreshing, such a pity there isn't anyone else who speaks freely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Clarke sounds very uptight.

Where's Harrington?

Clarke sounds very uptight.

Where's Harrington?

Clarke sounds like everything has been scripted for him and he is watching absolutely every word he says.He sounds incredibly phoney as a commentator.

I honestly think they should just scrap player interviews. They're all the exact same and add nothing to the coverage. If I'm on Sky+ they're an automatic fast forward for me.

Darren Clarke is Monty 2.0

"Words can't describe how good a shot that was"

Classic line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rikand wrote: »
    Darren Clarke is Monty 2.0

Or golf's answer to Owen Hargeaves: talking nonstop and saying nothing.

He's fecking off now thank God.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

"Have you ever seen a left hander that didn't have a great putting stroke?"

3 days in a row Darren. 3 Days.

• Advertisement

To be fair, Micklesons is awful!

I didn't catch much of the commentary tonight but did he really say that again? Ffs.

Someone mentioned that Sky should hire Gary Murphy - I 100% agree, he'd be miles better than Clarke and McGinley combined. Plus they should get Harrington on whenever possible.

Aside from Butch the current co-commentators are woeful. I actually think they should try putting Beem and Radar on co-commentary rather than having them on the course, at least they're entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Butch is a full blown caricature of himself. Heavily reliant on the fact that he coaches Fowler et al, prone to exaggerrated American style exclamations and continuously shown up by Murray when it comes to knowledge of stats, past tournament winners and other players (not just international) that he doesnt work with.

Butch is a full blown caricature of himself. Heavily reliant on the fact that he coaches Fowler et al, prone to exaggerrated American style exclamations and continuously shown up by Murray when it comes to knowledge of stats, past tournament winners and other players (not just international) that he doesnt work with.

Butch is enjoyable to listen to he's full of enthusiasm for the sport.Murray is the main commentator he's supposed to have the stats and historical knowledge, Butch is there to add some colour and enjoyment to the proceedings.

I'm getting sick of this "he's in a really good place at the moment" followed by something like "He's just got engaged/married" or "He has new girlfriend" or "they have had a child".

Then there is Jason Day. Why do they have to mention his mother or his private life after every bad shot. We all know his mother has not been well but it is disrespectful to constantly bring her ills up every time he has bad round. Not sure what its like on Australian TV but I hope she doesn't have access to Sky TV.

Seems to be a real American thing, that has gradually seeped in over here.You should do yourself a favour and don't follow the NBA if that pisses you off.The bull**** the do when they broadcast a game on mothers day is ****ing tedious and based on some of the coverage in the last week you'd think Kevin Durants mother scored all those points on the NBA finals rather than Kevin himself.

It's all part of roping women in to watch.Women may not be participating in sport but that doesn't matter because being married to/mother of a competitor is just as big an achievement as being a great sportsperson and women should feel like they are watching these women compete even though they aren't. It's a load of terribly patronizing bull****e but unfortunately it seems to infest sports coverage these days.

This is bollix from clarke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

I like him, a lot. Hes funny and speaks his mind. He just called out Harman for being slow, guys for playing bad shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

luvthegame wrote: »
    I like him, a lot. Hes funny and speaks his mind. He just called out Harman for being slow, guys for playing bad shots.

I like him too - sort of eccentric granddad - he loves the game.

But, there is a conflict of interest with Fowler in the mix

what this week proved is that Clarke is absolutely awful and should never be let near a microphone again.He's horrifically phoney. He's that bad I actually miss Montgomerie.

• Advertisement

He's that bad I actually miss Montgomerie.

Ah here!

Advertisement