Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW Motorrad PCP

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

No law against cornering??? years ago a guy I knew got pulled over in Brittas, apparantly the garda thought he was going "too fast" because his bike was "leaned over"

Well of course it's basic physics that a bike which isn't leaned over can only go in a straight line but you try having that argument at the side of the road with a mucker ban garda...

Hey at least the points expire quicker under lockdown, kinda... my single sole and solitary local 50km/h area spin since last March resulted in a gushing fork which I've still not fixed :(

Best I had was "you sounded like you were going fast" . The lad hadn't even seen me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No law against cornering??? years ago a guy I knew got pulled over in Brittas, apparantly the garda thought he was going "too fast" because his bike was "leaned over"

Well of course it's basic physics that a bike which isn't leaned over can only go in a straight line but you try having that argument at the side of the road with a mucker ban garda...

Hey at least the points expire quicker under lockdown, kinda... my single sole and solitary local 50km/h area spin since last March resulted in a gushing fork which I've still not fixed :(

2 points for either driving without due care or driving without reasonable consideration.
    I forget which one it was. The letter is in the drawer.
    The fact that I was happy to take that probably speaks for itself.
    Squad with cameras in it, no way was I chancing a day in court with that.

Oh yeah, and in a 60 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

listermint wrote: »
    Just looking at the pcp page there , zero percent on **** bikes no one wants gs310 and bank loan **** rates on anything nice e.g SR1000 presume that's the same on e.g new R1250 GT

Really poor apr frankly anti sale.

You are better off going no where near getting money off them, the finance they offered me was a joke rate and it wasn't even that much.

I traded in my Ducati, gave them 6 grand cash and got a loan of about 5k with Bank of Ireland on the rest.

One thing I took into account is selling a bike with finance outstanding on it would be impossible, I prefer to have a 5k loan hanging over me than having it linked to the bike at all.

Their rates were rubbish aswell, I think I would have saved 100 quid over 3 years going with them, obviously considering the finance would have been linked to the bike it was a no brainer not to go with it.

PCP on any vehicle wouldn't interest me, I have built up equity in my bikes since I bought my gsxr 5 years ago. Each time I buy a bike I save up in between and put the cash into the next one, it's also a way of saving albeit the asset is depreciating.

iL have gone from a 4k gsxr 5 years ago to probably an 19k BMW now if I sold it that I owe nothing on so its basically cash in the driveway if crap hits the fan and I need to sell it. I think that's the best way to go if it suits someone to do that and fits their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Goose81 wrote: »
    You are better off going no where near getting money off them, the finance they offered me was a joke rate and it wasn't even that much.

I traded in my Ducati, gave them 6 grand cash and got a loan of about 5k with Bank of Ireland on the rest.

One thing I took into account is selling a bike with finance outstanding on it would be impossible, I prefer to have a 5k loan hanging over me than having it linked to the bike at all.

Their rates were rubbish aswell, I think I would have saved 100 quid over 3 years going with them, obviously considering the finance would have been linked to the bike it was a no brainer not to go with it.

PCP on any vehicle wouldn't interest me, I have built up equity in my bikes since I bought my gsxr 5 years ago. Each time I buy a bike I save up in between and put the cash into the next one, it's also a way of saving albeit the asset is depreciating.

iL have gone from a 4k gsxr 5 years ago to probably an 19k BMW now if I sold it that I owe nothing on so its basically cash in the driveway if crap hits the fan and I need to sell it. I think that's the best way to go if it suits someone to do that and fits their lifestyle.

"Each time I buy a bike I save up in between and put the cash into the next one, it's also a way of saving albeit the asset is depreciating"
    An high power asset with a sidestand, what could go wrong!:D

H_Lime wrote: »
    "Each time I buy a bike I save up in between and put the cash into the next one, it's also a way of saving albeit the asset is depreciating"
    An high power asset with a sidestand, what could go wrong!:D

Yeah they are a stupid purchase tbh, like I took it out for a 5 minute spin today and ended up doing 200kmh on the N11, its Gona land me in jail hahaha

Might get an adventure bike next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

As long as you know what you are getting into I think pcp has its uses. Basically you are renting the bike, with lowish monthly payments. I would be very interested to know what percentage of purchasers (renters) pay the final balloon payment. I know there are yearly mileage limits but I reckon a lot of sunday spin types wouldnt actually come anywhere near hitting that.
    After the 3 years are up you rent the latest improved offering from Berlin and start the whole merry go round again.
    Not for me but...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Yeah they are a stupid purchase tbh, like I took it out for a 5 minute spin today and ended up doing 200kmh on the N11, its Gona land me in jail hahaha

Might get an adventure bike next

Won't help you, they go fast too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Agree on all counts. If the rates were under 3 percent or best zero percent it could make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Agree on all counts. If the rates were under 3 percent or best zero percent it could make sense.

Exactly this. I did zero percent on PCP for a car. Worked out very well after the three years. PCP can be a great deal or can be sh!te. It all depends on the details of the individual deal.

I should probably know this because I work in finance but I remember watching a video on PCP, I'm pretty sure the guy said the best thing to do is just buy outright at the end but that they never recommend going down the PCP route at all, it's a nice way to own a shiny new toy but you are still spending a significant amount of money over what you would have if you bought cash.

I think the majority of people even looking at PCP are probably financially well off because they have enough cash to afford the repayments on a brand new bike.

I think bike v car is very different in these situations. If I had a wife and kids and wanted them safe in some massive SUV then yeah I might consider going PCP but because bikes relatively are alot cheaper than cars I just don't see any value in going PCP on a bike tbh.

10 grand will buy you a 2 year old bike, you can get that loan from the bank and own outright, so for a bike I just don't see any value or point in PCP.

If we were talking a 60 grand 5 series then I would probably have a different answer

• Advertisement

I should probably know this because I work in finance but I remember watching a video on PCP, I'm pretty sure the guy said the best thing to do is just buy outright at the end but that they never recommend going down the PCP route at all, it's a nice way to own a shiny new toy but you are still spending a significant amount of money over what you would have if you bought cash.

I think the majority of people even looking at PCP are probably financially well off because they have enough cash to afford the repayments on a brand new bike.

I think bike v car is very different in these situations. If I had a wife and kids and wanted them safe in some massive SUV then yeah I might consider going PCP but because bikes relatively are alot cheaper than cars I just don't see any value in going PCP on a bike tbh.

10 grand will buy you a 2 year old bike, you can get that loan from the bank and own outright, so for a bike I just don't see any value or point in PCP.

If we were talking a 60 grand 5 series then I would probably have a different answer

Ten grand won't buy you a two year old GS or RT or SS though will it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

One of the head accountants in a firm I worked in went PCP on her car, but I think she worked it out as being cheaper for what she wanted.
    basically meant she was always stuck with Skoda though.

I think with Cars it makes a little more sense as they don't hold their value as well as a motorcycle so the idea of being able to trade the car in later on in a few years to upgrade to the latest makes it a little bit worth while.

I wouldn't do it with a motorcycle though.

goblin59 wrote: »
    One of the head accountants in a firm I worked in went PCP on her car, but I think she worked it out as being cheaper for what she wanted.
    basically meant she was always stuck with Skoda though.

Why would she be stuck with Skoda? You're not stuck with the same brand if you want to upgrade at the end of 3 years. You can shop around just as if you were buying new. You can clear the finance yourself or get the new dealer to clear it for you.
    goblin59 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it with a motorcycle though.

This stance makes no sense to me. If you can get 0% or close to 0% PCP over 3 years, you get to keep more of your money in your back packet / bank account / investment for longer. Why the eagerness to hand it over in one lump to a dealer or to spend more on interest on a bank loan?

PCP isn't always a good deal and it's not always a bad deal. It depends on the individual deal on the table in every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

dmigsy wrote: »
    Why would she be stuck with Skoda? You're not stuck with the same brand if you want to upgrade at the end of 3 years. You can shop around just as if you were buying new. You can clear the finance yourself or get the new dealer to clear it for you.

This stance makes no sense to me. If you can get 0% or close to 0% PCP over 3 years, you get to keep more of your money in your back packet / bank account / investment for longer. Why the eagerness to hand it over in one lump to a dealer or to spend more on interest on a bank loan?

PCP isn't always a good deal and it's not always a bad deal. It depends on the individual deal on the table in every case.

So dealership she went with only do Skoda which is why her PCP is with skoda, was a deal with them where you bring the vehicle back after x years to trade against a new one, but had to be another Skoda.

And when I said I wouldn't do it with a bike, I meant personally.
    Cars I tend to leave stock as I've no interest in them beyond as a means to get from A to B.
    But Bikes I heavily modify to suit my own needs.
    Some PCP / HP contracts don't allow you to modify the vehicle beyond what was agreed to at the initial purchase as to make the most of the contract for the consumer you trade the vehicle back in against a newer one, but any modifications mean a less favorable trade in even if it improves the bike overall.

Ah fair enough if you're modifying your bike, PCP wouldn't suit so.

She wouldn't be stuck with Skoda though. You can go to another dealer and they'll sort out clearing the finance with Skoda and set you up on their finance if you want to get a new car on PCP. You're not locked into a dealer / brand at the end of the 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I bought a 17 s1000rr on pcb and it worked perfectly for me.

Sold it private at end of 3 years. Paid off rest and had my deposit back.

For me it worked as described.

Going again was actually working very favorable but im buying a house so wanted one bill less on paper.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I bought a 17 s1000rr on pcb and it worked perfectly for me.

Sold it private at end of 3 years. Paid off rest and had my deposit back.

For me it worked as described.

Going again was actually working very favorable but im buying a house so wanted one bill less on paper.

What rate Apr were they giving you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What rate Apr were they giving you

I cant remember maybe 8 or 9%

Advertisement