Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

A family would be two parents and their children. Uncles, aunts, neices, nephews and all the in laws would be defined as immediate family.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So are you saying only parents and their children get this free app.
    What if I want other family members to be keyholders? They still have to pay?
    This would not be the case on any other systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads this thread is working well, so let's keep it going that way thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Can't we all just get along?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

We are getting along. Just pointing out the options users have for getting the best system to suit their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My point related to referencing an alleged complaint made in private over the phone being raised and published on a public forum, and people coming over the fence.
    I wanted to just leave it at the small post I made, but further clarification was needed.

No need for this to mushroom. It's a very good discussion.

For my own part I prefer the Siemens app, particularly for multiple accounts. We have the HKC app in work and four of us had to buy it.

I prefer the polling on HKC.

All in all its very close.

Honeywell Galaxy are now entering the app services. Apps and use also free.

As speculated for some time the HKC price changes were released this week.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057374882/5/#post95751602
    The polling times are very disappointing.
    Even on the higher package it's ninty minutes.
    GSD have polling and notifications for free.
    Siemens can notify you down another path without charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

KoolKid wrote: »
    As speculated for some time the HKC price changes were released this week.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057374882/5/#post95751602
    The polling times are very disappointing.
    Even on the higher package it's ninty minutes.
    GSD have polling and notifications for free.

The higher prices are extremely expensive. Glad they left the basic at €5 as I think that it's priced just on the level of acceptable for your average end user.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Without a charge to Siemens, but at a cost to the customer. Remember the network provider as detailed here will cost an end user at least €2 per month.
    Who is that with for that fantastic price?
    How often does it poll for this charge, less than every 90 minutes I hope?

• Advertisement

Or you could use prepay for even less. I spend nowhere near €2 a month on a prepay sim for a backup path. I have also never missed an email from my panel due to an IP comms fail.
    Siemens notifications are always pretty instant, ofcourse with text you are dependent on the message centres etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Or you could use prepay for even less. I spend nowhere near €2 a month on a prepay sim for a backup path. I have also never missed an email from my panel due to an IP comms fail.
    Siemens notifications are always pretty instant, ofcourse with text you are dependent on the message centres etc.

That sounds great.

So it polls less than every 90 minutes using the backup path (assuming the primary has failed) for less than €2 per month?

The panel can be set to poll every few seconds to any number of ATS if you want. The panel would know if there is a poll missed, it will also know if there is an ethernet connection fail. These faults can be notified down any other paths. I use a prepay sim and it costs nowhere near that a month. Remember, under normal operating conditions you are not going to be receiving or sending any text alerts so you are not using any credit.

Some more competition to this market
    http://vee-plex.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Some more competition to this market
    http://vee-plex.com/

Got a brochure in the post from them today. They go to great lengths to point out that this doesn't have a sim card so it can't be jammed but yet it just connects to the router which is arguably easier to knock out.

Did I read it has polling and email /SMS alerts in the even of poll fails also.

I also like these features for an older system

Additional features allow you to switch on and off other connected devices at the location. E.g. turn on flood lights and cameras, turn on security lighting ,turn alarm system on /off, open gates or shutters on buildings- all remotely and easily from any PC or Smart Phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Do you guys know how much the vee-plex unit costs and is there a subscription charge and what is it? I got a brochure as well but there was no prices on it, hate when they do that.

I have sent them an email requesting more information. I have not had any reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Expensive prices ! more than HKCs

If you have details please post them instead of just commenting.
    From taking to people in the industry there is no one dearer than HKC like for like on the monitoring they are offering.

• Advertisement

Another point that the end user needs to take into account here is that in the majority of HKCs new price plans commission is paid back to the installer on these subscriptions. So there is a good incentive for these installers to put you off the free options.

Another point that the end user needs to take into account here is that in the majority of HKCs new price plans commission is paid back to the installer on these subscriptions. So there is a good incentive for these installers to put you off the free options.

Fair point.

However exactly the same logic can be applied to alarm motoring from a central station. The installer gets a kick back from this too.

No commission on the €4.99 or €7 plans. And also the end user can sign themselves up.

Most monitoring is sold on at a profit like any other products. The difference is there is no central station monitoring that's available for free.
    Evolution can you confirm what the polling times are on those 2 packages?
    GSD released their new app this week. User defined polling from 5 minutes to 15 minutes with smash and grap alerts after 1 minute.
    And all that with no app charges or subscription charges.

Most monitoring is sold on at a profit like any other products. The difference is there is no central station monitoring that's available for free.
    Evolution can you confirm what the polling times are on those 2 packages?
    GSD released their new app this week. User defined polling from 5 minutes to 15 minutes with smash and grap alerts after 1 minute.
    And all that with no app charges or subscription charges.

Yes but there is a charge if they use GPRS. Which as far as I'm aware is isn't available with GSD.

Check the polling times yourself. You know well what they are. I'm sure HKC will chat to you about that. As already mentioned. I'm not happy with them but it doesn't affect my system.

What was wrong with GSDs old app ???

The polling times I heard were 8 hours & 90 minutes or something crazy like that. Its amazing how you don't want to answer when you don't like the answer.:confused:
    If HKC were offing better times here you would be shouting it from the rooftops.:D
    Noting was wrong with the old app , as with most upgrades its improvements. The end user can select their own polling times. 5 to 15 minutes. Lets face it no one wants to know about it hours later.

The polling times I heard were 8 hours & 90 minutes or something crazy like that. Its amazing how you don't want to answer when you don't like the answer.:confused:
    If HKC were offing better times here you would be shouting it from the rooftops.:D
    Noting was wrong with the old app , as with most upgrades its improvements. The end user can select their own polling times. 5 to 15 minutes. Lets face it no one wants to know about it hours later.

I answered it before for you and they are posted up on here. Why should I repeat myself for you when all you are trying to do is rile me up? Yes again agreed I'm not happy with the times.

Not trying to rile you up at all just looking for honest answers.
    Would you agree polling times that slow are pointless and not worth the money compared to better services being offered for free.

No amount of criticism of the HKC charges will change the fact that alarm installers get a kick back from the monitoring stations. Clearly there is a financial incentive for alarm installers to get customers to sign up for monitoring via a central station.

Can you really not see any parallels with alarm installers getting a commission when a customer signs up for an app? Seriously?

By the way I agree that the HKC charges are excessive and the polling has gone to r@tshít but these systems are still selling like hot cakes.

• Advertisement

Monitoring is purchased at a wholesale rate and sold on the same as any other product or service. That's business 101.
    There is one big flaw in your comparison. There is no free options for central station monitoring.
    If there was then there would be an incentive for the installer not to inform the customer of the free option and instead sell them the subscription service.
    But with apps and remote access there are free options, and in this case with vastly superior notification options. But wouldn't the same incentive apply where the installer would benefit from not promoting the free options?
    As regards the figures for HKC, I think you are blinded by you obvious bias or the bias from some users here. How may people do you reckon have subscribed to the HKC paid for services?

Advertisement