Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O&O feedback thread

• 22-09-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭

Oldgoat suggested that we should have a feedback thread to see if anyone has any ideas / suggestions / complaints that might improve the quality of your O&O experience.

While he is away I am sneakily putting this into effect so that if it is successful I get the credit. On the other hand if there is no interest in it, it was his idea. :cool:

So, have a think about it please! Anything you would like to see introduced, any suggestions on how to liven up improve the forum? How about a sig that O&O-ers could use to spread the word of our existence? Any cool design offerings?

In making your suggestions please note that all currently banned words are still banned, and any references to nurse, soup, OG's drinks cabinet and lyrics of earworm songs are also banned.

Get those thinking caps on (if only to cover the bald spots) !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    While he is away I am sneakily putting this into effect so that if it is successful I get the credit. On the other hand if there is no interest in it, it was his idea. :cool:
    Harrumph!

On a personal basis while I love the banter in here I still want to see the forum have a much greater 'useful' function. I keep hoping to see more links to useful services, Oulfolk related issues, community support, oulfolk politics/agendas and so on.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Perhaps there is an infinitesimally small chance of me being just a grumpy old f@rt but........I get cranky reading stuff, not just in Os&Os but on Boards and elsewhere in general, about events that have just happened and how enjoyable they were. Since we have many interests in common and now have time to spare, Wouldn't It Be Nice (Beach Boys, 1966, Pet Sounds) to hear about these things BEFORE they happen?

Yeah, yeah, I know that most events are advertised in newspapers, Faceache, etc. but our bi-focals are not always to hand and.....who reads papers anymore and who wants to read the 99% drivel in Faceache?

Admittedly, I'm also a culprit: I didn't tell yiz about my all-day birthday barbie until after the event, mainly because we didn't have lettuce soup or gurrcake, so I knew yiz wouldn't come.

But, on the other hand, I DID tell yiz about Mermaid Week in Rush, Co. Dublin and millions of people turned up to witness this, so many, in fact, that, under the weight of spectators, the East coast tilted into the sea for a whole week. Vegetables rolled off the fields and into the sea, causing the invasion of vegetarian dollfrins that I also told yiz about....as it happened.

So, when you come across some upcoming event that might be of interest to other Os&Os, share it. You never know - we might even meet and put faces to usernames!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

A quick glance through the threads here tells me that the conversations going on in O & O's are identical to those I have with all my friends, generally daft stuff that make us laugh. Dunno really what to do to 'liven it up'! I am not even sure I want to be livened up, it sounds like really really hard work! However, we already have a 'Links of Interest' thread with a grand total of seven posts, which goes to show you how little interest we have in links of interest! :D Maybe we need some young bloods around here who might invite us snow-boarding or kite surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi all, this is a feedback about feedback about feedback request :D (I lost myself somewhere there...)

There is a site feedback thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057395275 and I have commented in post 91. There is a proposal to change the layout of the site and we could be left in Society and Culture, or moved to Social and Fun. If you are interested in where the home is located would you have a look and see what you think? You can discuss it here or over there. Thanks :)

Looksee, I don't know if I have got your drift right about what changes might be required here on O & O's but will just say this. If I want legal info I go to the Legal forum, if I want to tell the crafters about a craft fair, I post on the Crafts forum, and if I want a recipe I go to the Cooking and Baking forums. Likewise I check out the Nuitrition and Health forums if I need information or want to pass on any titbit of information. If O & O's were to have separate threads for these subjects but relating only to an O & O situation then we would be doubling up on everything. I like the light atmosphere in O & O's, as you say Looksee, life can be challenging enough without stressing ourselves any more about it. At least I feel 'safer' in O & O's than in some other areas, and no-one here will tear me asunder for my views, well it hasn't happened up to now. Also, the manners are impeccable! :) But what special things are available mainly for O & O's? All I can think of is the Over 50's Show in the RDS, and also certain health tests (redface.png) which only apply to over 50's.

If I've got your drift wrong then, oops, sorry. :o I'll zip the lip.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response jellybaby, you make some good points, and fully see what you mean. There was no intention to change O&O though, just move it to a different section of the site. Putting us in Social and Fun (which is not a title I am enthused about, but that does not matter) rather than Society and Culture which is kind of where we are at the moment.

I was doing some rather rambling thinking about it which was possibly a bit confusing for other people :D and concluded that possibly moving us was an ok idea. I just wondered what, if anything, other people thought of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My tuppence worth - While we "the regulars" are all up for a bit of fun and banter (therefore social and fun would seem like a good category) we also do serve a function.

Recently we had two posters come to this forum looking for advice regarding their parents (travel insurance and facing an upcoming retirement if I recall correctly). One poster didn't know we existed, which really isn't surprising as we are a quiet lot! And was directed here by a Moderator of another forum.

Over the years we have guided and given advice to those who have questions which we as the 'elder lemons' are in a position to if not answer certainly give our views on. Therefore the Society and Culture category seems ideal.

We 'the seniors' are in my humble opinion a quiet but important part of the society that Boards.ie is.

Layinghen, do you think on that basis that we would be a bit mis-labeled to be in a 'fun' sector rather than a 'society' sector? Do you think it matters? This is what I am trying to get a bit of feedback on :)

Both OG and I have sigs that mention O&O, other than that it is a bit difficult to put word around, then again there are lots of obscure forums on Boards that lots of people do not go on.

Ah well then I got you wrong Looksee. While we are a sociable and fun group in here, moving us to Social & Fun might trivialise us to a certain degree which might hide us away from the kind of folk Hen mentioned who were looking for some serious advice for older people. Its a tricky one, to get the right balance. As we all post in other forums a signature at the end of our posts emphasising our O & O status/forum would be helpful. I must learn how to do that. Can't make up my mind where we should be situated. Do we have to be slotted into some heading? Is it possible to have a separate stand-alone forum with an apt title? (had to unzip lip after all!)

Thanks for your comment Jellybaby, yes, you have hit the nail on the head, where to go? You could say that Society and Culture makes old age sound like an issue, whereas we do kinda fit into the same grouping as Clearasil and Hormones, the Ladies Lounge, Beer Guts etc, just another part of life. I think it could be dealt with by dropping the 'and Fun' and just being Social.

We are a standalone group, but we do have to fit into one of the groupings, the question is, which one?

Thanks Jellybaby and Layinghen, and we'd love to get some more views on this. I like the idea that people 'feel safe' in here, and we can be ourselves. It would help keep us on line with what people want if they would throw in an opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

looksee wrote: »
    Layinghen, do you think on that basis that we would be a bit mis-labeled to be in a 'fun' sector rather than a 'society' sector? Do you think it matters? This is what I am trying to get a bit of feedback on :)

Both OG and I have sigs that mention O&O, other than that it is a bit difficult to put word around, then again there are lots of obscure forums on Boards that lots of people do not go on.

Personally I think society rather than fun would be a better fit for us. Nothing in the 'society' rules would stop us from having fun in our own arthritic way:D.

It is nice to think that we are here to show and help the majority of posters with what lies ahead for all of them and also to help those who may be looking for guidance regarding matters relating to the "golden years".

At the moment due to alphabetical reasons we are between non drinkers and parenting. I doubt very much either of those are being considered for the 'fun' section. I feel we the 'elders' offer in our own quiet way advice the same way as these forums do.

While we wait to dispense our wisdom we carry on having fun our own way;)

We have a foot firmly in both camps and in my opinion it really doesn't matter which we end up in as long as we maintain the forum just as it is. If we end up in 'Fun' (hate that term!) we will still maintain our helpful and supportive function. Likewise if we end up in 'Soc' then we will still keep out light-hearted banter approach. The function of our forum won't change no matter where we end up.
    My only thought is that we should stay alongside LGBT, The Ladies Lounge and The Gentlemens Club. These are the other forums that function along the same lines as ourselves - aimed at a specific group but welcoming of all and being a mix of chat and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I tried reading through the feedback thread.

angry-desk-flip.jpg

Just don't leave me here to do the cleaning if we move! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So some feedback,

I came across this Forum and thought it might hold something for a nearly senior, who might find some similar interests, or at least some amusement.

I started by watching the " Gods waiting Room " thread, only to find its a chat room between about 6/7 regulars, who do not like to be disturbed.

Then I tried around the time of the " World Cup " to instill some fun, I found a thread set up by a Moderator, for all things World Cup, so he could ignore it all, fair enough if he has no interest, but who sets the adjenda here the Mod's or the contributors?

Anyway I persevered, and generated a modicum of interest despite the Mod's obvious disinterest.

Now I came across a thread " Do you have a Twitter Account " the first page of replies was No Way, Don't want anything to do with that "

As I use Twitter regurarly, I decided to have an input,

Queue, ridicule, mis/ quotation of my posts, etc. Reference to Grandchildren.

Guys this Forum is a chat room, for about 6/7 regulars, who do not like as I said to be disturbed.

Take the " things you would be embarrassed to ask about Computers " Thread and put it somewhere else as that's the only useful, and interesting Thread on this Forum, and close the rest of the Forum down.

My feedback.

As a mod: Thank you for your feedback, we will take note of your comments. On a personal level I have apologised on thread for any offence my comments have caused.

Again as a mod: I am sorry you feel that there is a group of regulars who do not wish to be disturbed. This is not the case, it just happens that a few people post regularly, there is no intention of excluding anyone and we are happy to engage with anyone who wishes to get involved. The style of posting in the twitter thread was very typical of the kind of conversation that occasionally happens, no offense is meant by it, and the fact that it happened on that thread reflects a relaxed attitude to the conversation rather than any intention to be dismissive or excluding another poster. Unfortunately on this occasion we apparently misread the tone of your posting, and I am sorry if it came over as upsetting to you.

martinn123 wrote: »
    I started by watching the " Gods waiting Room " thread, only to find its a chat room between about 6/7 regulars, who do not like to be disturbed.
    The chat thread is open to everyone and always has been. The perceived clique of regulars has ever been an issue on social forums on Boards. AH, BGRH, The Noc, Photography and even Feedback have all been called cliques at some point or other. The truth of the matter is that the regulars are open and welcoming of anyone. The flow of topics in that thread in the has purposely been kept varied to make it easy for anyone to add comment. I would hate to think that we as a group of posters are thought to be elitist and I will fight tooth and nail to dispel that view. A clique would bring about stagnation and stagnation is the death of a forum.
    Then I tried around the time of the " World Cup " to instill some fun, I found a thread set up by a Moderator, for all things World Cup, so he could ignore it all, fair enough if he has no interest, but who sets the adjenda here the Mod's or the contributors?

Anyway I persevered, and generated a modicum of interest despite the Mod's obvious disinterest.
    I was the mod who separated out the world cup thread. The world cup was always going to be a popular thread so having it kept separately made sense. With over 250 posts it would have monopolised the chat thread if it stayed there. If I had my way there thread would never have existed but being a mod (at the time) I made the decision to add a thread (even thought there were numerous other world cup threads throughout Boards that could have been used).
    Having varied threads and viewpoints is the lifeblood of any forum. If the discussion were about the Olympics, Formula 1, World field archers, Six Nations, The Euro-vision or whatever topic I thought would generate a substantial body of posts I would have separated that out into it's own thread too.
    The agenda for the forum has always been set by the users. As looksee pointed out in another thread the forum has not gone as she and I thought (hoped) it would, as a resource for the elderly but has became a (user driven) fun social forum. Moderators are here to facilitate and to housekeep the forum. We don't run the forum as our own personal play space even though I enjoyed giving off that impression. Content has always been user driven and to imply anything else is unfair.

Now I came across a thread " Do you have a Twitter Account " the first page of replies was No Way, Don't want anything to do with that "

As I use Twitter regurarly, I decided to have an input,

Queue, ridicule, mis/ quotation of my posts, etc. Reference to Grandchildren.
    I've not read that thread so have no comment to make.
    Guys this Forum is a chat room, for about 6/7 regulars, who do not like as I said to be disturbed.
    This forum has a chat thread open to anyone but most frequently used by the forum regulars. Users do not have to apply in writing to create threads or post in any of the existing threads.
    I really don't see where you get the idea that users don't like to be disturbed. You've stated this twice and if that is the impression that the forum gives off I genuinely want that perception to change and would appreciate any insights you have.
    Take the " things you would be embarrassed to ask about Computers " Thread and put it somewhere else as that's the only useful, and interesting Thread on this Forum, and close the rest of the Forum down.
    That is a great thread and very welcome here but it's not the only thread of interest. The scope of threads in the forum is huge ranging from light-hearted to some serious help and advice.

My personal feedback on the forum is that we still don't have enough of the advice/help threads and that we still have too few regular posters. I would hate to think that we might lose a valuable poster in Martinn. Looksee and a few of the other regulars have taken to adding a link to O&O to their signatures in an attempt to bring more people into the forum.

Most people tend to find the forum when they look for a specific piece of advice and then it is up to us to try and hold them here. If the chat thread is being seen as cliquish then that is something we need to address.

A forum is a bit like any community. Many people use the facilities of the community but only a few gather in the pub for a chat. That doesn't mean that the pub is for their exclusive use. Anyone going in though would expect that they may have to visit a couple of times and contribute to the conversation before they themselves become a 'regular'. People have to get to know you a bit. It is no more difficult than that though.

It is too easy to describe any forum where a few regulars post frequently as clique-y. If an individual joins and becomes part of the community then someone else will see that person as one of the 'clique'. How many people does it take before it ceases to be a clique? Should we ban references to lettuce soup in case other people do not understand it? Or just accept that occasionally someone will come along and ask 'what's all this stuff about lettuce soup?' and that they are entitled to a courteous reply.

Every forum has its own atmosphere and style, no forum is going to make everyone happy all the time, but I think we are doing pretty well in having areas where people can ask a serious question and get a sincere answer, and other areas where a bit of slagging and banter is in order without anyone feeling that they are being put down or offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I take full blame for post the thread about the twitter accounts. I was just wondering how may Oulwans and oulfellas had an account. Perhaps I should have made it a Poll.

As I am an "oulfella", 70 next year (I like to say that, rather than 69 now!), I have in the last few years become very set in my ways and I am not into too many of these new ideas. Give me a computer, I can handle it, one key does one job (or even two keys simultaneously). Give me a phone and the same key, on its own does multiple jobs depending on how many times it is pressed. This I cannot work with, my mind cannot handle it. And when sending a text, I haven't yet worked out where the punctuation keys are!

However, this post is really off topic and not really about feedback. In my opinion, the forum is as it should be for "seniors" (unless you consider yourself to be an oulwan or oulfella and not really for those Youngsters or middle-aged. When you get to our age, our outlook on life has changed and is not really suitable for the soon to be an oulwan or oulfella. That's my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Well said, campingcarist, and all just proves that O & O's is the right forum for you and for me. This forum was recently moved to 'Social & Fun', mainly because there weren't so many posts regarding help, advice and services for seniors. Although I thought it trivialised us somewhat, I would hate to see the fun go out of it. At this stage in the O & O's lives we are dealing with extremely serious and traumatic events, and it helps to escape through humour.

We do of course need more information for seniors but I don't think I added much more than the over 50's show, which is why we need more people here who might have more useful information. As I thankfully don't need these services for myself right now, I expect I will in the not too distant future, and I would welcome any posts referencing sources of interest to seniors. However, for the moment I am happy just to be here and take part when something is of interest to me. Although some may find Twitter important in their daily lives, I don't, it is very low down on my list of priorities. I embraced and worked with 'new tech' for decades. New tech is supposed to enhance our lives, and it has enhanced my life, but I choose only what I need and discard what I don't, just as anyone would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

As I am an "oulfella", 70 next year (I like to say that, rather than 69 now!), I have in the last few years become very set in my ways

My route to Os&Os must be different to everybody else's because I didn't even notice that it had been moved. Must say, I like the ambiance in Os&Os. I can deal with world crises and the never-ending debate about driving around roundabouts elsewhere but it's nice, every now and then, to take a break in Os&Os. I've received great support in difficult times from Os&Os and a lorra lorra laughs.

Anyway, off topic - don't care! Some of us oulfellas find it hard to stay focussed. Whenever anybody dares suggest that I have become "set in my ways" my immediate and stock reply, with a grim and hurt expression, is to refute the scurrilous accusation and inform them that, in my opinion, everybody else's ways have become slack, while mine remain like a harbour wall, thick and wet, defiant, dependable, steadfast.

I say: "Stick to your ways, campingcarist". The entire army is out of step......except us.

BTW: Thanks for the "heads up" (cool, hip, trendy and stupid Americanism) about the 70th birthday party. I don't drink but I do like cake without marzipan, so............

• Advertisement
Advertisement