Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself - your setup, what you do, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just a quick introduction. I'm an intermediate drummer and a beginner in music production. I have only a small amount of gear so far but I hope to increase this as time goes on. I'm running FL Studio 8 on a Core 2 Duo E6550 (2 x 2.33ghz) with 2gb RAM. I use a Midi Keyboard which is an M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Welcome Flyswatter !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

Hey welcome dude!
    I started out on FL studio too, it's pretty cool!
    It's good to use the gear you have to death until you discover it's limitations and then you will know what you want, and where you want to go from there...

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever introduced myself....oh well whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

tubedude wrote: »
    Hey welcome dude!
    I started out on FL studio too, it's pretty cool!
    It's good to use the gear you have to death until you discover it's limitations and then you will know what you want, and where you want to go from there...

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever introduced myself....oh well whatever...

Go for it Tubedude.

Go for it Tubedude.

Hello! I'm tubedude!

I use a 4gb core 2 duo 2.4Macbook, I use Pro Tools and Logic Pro.
    I'm one of the new generation of snot nosed 'educated' sound engineers, which I apologize for....
    I do a lot of songwriting, production, recording.
    I'm also a classical guitarist, and bassist.

Yeah that's all I will say for now...

• Advertisement

Nice - is that the sort of music you record ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

W E L C O M E

:):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hello! I'm tubedude!

I use a 4gb core 2 duo 2.4Macbook, I use Pro Tools and Logic Pro.
    I'm one of the new generation of snot nosed 'educated' sound engineers, which I apologize for....
    I do a lot of songwriting, production, recording.

Yeah that's all I will say for now...

A man of many talents but few words.

Welcome to the Thunderdome.

The initiation ceremony will take place when you least expect it at a time and place of our choosing. Watch the skies and er welcome:D

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Nice - is that the sort of music you record ?

Thanks guys, and yeah that would be a big part of the sort of music I record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

hello! I've been reading this forum for quite a while now, so I may as well introduce myself.

I have been interested in recording for a few years, started a course in Music Tech in Maynooth last September. I play guitar, bass and a small bit of piano (trying to get better). Gear wise I use logic pro and a motu traveller for recording purposes. This place has been brilliant for picking up ideas and techniques so cheers!

Chris

• Advertisement

Googe wrote: »
    hello! I've been reading this forum for quite a while now, so I may as well introduce myself.

I have been interested in recording for a few years, started a course in Music Tech in Maynooth last September. I play guitar, bass and a small bit of piano (trying to get better). Gear wise I use logic pro and a motu traveller for recording purposes. This place has been brilliant for picking up ideas and techniques so cheers!

Chris

Welcome Chris!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

sup the names ray, currently producing with FL Studio. make various genres all based around dance. mostly software based for the time being but i hope for that to change sometime soon.
    currently upgrading all my gear as i want to take my recording up a step so ill get some pics up sometime later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vocalvenus

Hi there!

Just came across this forum, I am a singer/actress currently touring in a stage show...jst looking in to see whats going on :-)

Cheers,
    Ger :-)
    geraldine-addison.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Last Angry Man

Hello
    So I've been on boards for a bit so I should probably explain myself.
    I'm 31 and living in Kildare. I was in a band for a long time (13 years!) with friends but it broke up a few years back and I started recording with a laptop and a US122 and over time it mushroomed into my current project studio. I use an Audio Technica for vox, SM57 for the cab and Rode NT4 matched pair for the acoustic, through a Joe Meek TwinQ, Audiofire 12, into a dual core iMac. I use Cubase 4 for the sequencing and Reason for all virtual instruments including Drums - love the Jason McGerr refill - and I have treated my room so its alright if not perfect.
    I dont really know what I am doing but 2 years of messing (and some reading of sound on sound) and I am happy enough with my sound. Starting to knuckle down and do some serious writing again but also on the lookout for people to work with so watch this space! Oh and I sing, play guitar (well), bass (ok) and a bit of keys. I am mainly doing alt rock and folky acoustic stuff.
    LAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

Greetings..

I've been messing about with music production for about 8 years.. should be fairly good at it by now ;)
    These days I make a variety of chilled out beats and some dancier tunes..
    I tend to focus on melody rather than the tech-ier side of things.

Music Link: http://fairtilizer.com/users/tunedevil

I Use PC setup, Fl Studio, kontakt, Tracktion and guitars midi controller etc.
    - Yamaha MPS5's on Mo-pads and beyerdynamic 990's for monitoring

I'm based in Sligo, interested to see if any other heads on here are working or based in the north-west..

Anyway, introductions over, I hope to contribute here and on the dance forum whenever I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Hello.
    My name is Rob, I go to Ballyfermot College of Further Education and Im starting my second year of the sound engineering course there.
    Its fantastic stuff!!!

My setup is:
    Toshiba Laptop - Dual Core 2.4ghz - 4GB ram - 2x 250GB Hard disks (will be upgrading to 7200rpm disks soon) - 500GB Lacie D2 Quadra 7200rpm via an eSata port

Focusrite Saffire Pro40
    KRK VXT6 Monitors
    M-Audio Oxygen 49 Midi controller
    3x Sennheiser e604
    1x Shure SM57
    1x Shure beta 52
    1x sE Electronics SE1a stereo matched pair
    3x Behringer 1300 vocal mics things. Surprisingly good! 3 for 30 quid!!
    1x Behringer PMH1000 (or is it PMP :confused::o) power mixer
    2x t.Box 15" full range speakers
    1x t.Box 12" Active Monitor

Wishlist:
    sE 2200a
    Behringer ADA8000
    Headphone preamp - Wouldnt mind some reviews of cheap cheap ones. :p
    Rack unit

Tis all I can think of lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

bbk wrote: »
    Hello.
    My name is Rob, I go to Ballyfermot College of Further Education and Im starting my second year of the sound engineering course there.
    Its fantastic stuff!!!

My setup is:
    Toshiba Laptop - Dual Core 2.4ghz - 4GB ram - 2x 250GB Hard disks (will be upgrading to 7200rpm disks soon) - 500GB Lacie D2 Quadra 7200rpm via an eSata port

Focusrite Saffire Pro40
    KRK VXT6 Monitors
    M-Audio Oxygen 49 Midi controller
    3x Sennheiser e604
    1x Shure SM57
    1x Shure beta 52
    1x sE Electronics SE1a stereo matched pair
    3x Behringer 1300 vocal mics things. Surprisingly good! 3 for 30 quid!!
    1x Behringer PMH1000 (or is it PMP :confused::o) power mixer
    2x t.Box 15" full range speakers
    1x t.Box 12" Active Monitor

Wishlist:
    sE 2200a
    Behringer ADA8000
    Headphone preamp - Wouldnt mind some reviews of cheap cheap ones. :p
    Rack unit

Tis all I can think of lol

Pleased to meet you, looks like your off to a good start there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

dav nagle wrote: »
    Pleased to meet you, looks like your off to a good start there!

Thanks, yeah. I put alot of money into it. Those monitors are epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Been subbed to this forum for quite a while now, best introduce myself!

I've been into recording / music ever since I moved to Kildare, Attended BCFE 'Rock School' and then Poppyhill.

I'm more into the live aspect of the biz and have been gigging on/off since I was 17. Mainly small pub gigs but hope to upgrade to a larger live rig in 2010.

Current Live rig

Spirit Powerstation 600w
    t.Box PA502 x 2
    Peavey 18" Subs x 2
    Behringer Floor Monitors
    Shure SM58's
    Shure Beta 1.1

Available Backline :

Marshall TSL 601
    Marshall MB 150
    Line 6 Spider II
    Roland Cube 100w

Recording Rig:

Custom Built PC

Xp Professional, Windows 7 (Beta)
    3.2Ghz Dual Core
    4GB Ram,
    9800GTX GFX Card,
    400GB HDD
    500GB HDD
    Pro Tools 8

Ibook G4
    Logic express 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Hey my name is Robert, Rob, Bob the bitch, some people call me quiggers in the real world too.

i posted my setup in the dance section but here it is again

pc running cubse sx3, reason 4 and abelton live7 and cool edit.

krk6's speakers x 2
    waldorf blofeld desktop
    korg ms2000r
    emu proteus 2000 with 2 boards, xlead and phat planet
    novation a station
    electrix filter factory,
    electrix mo fx
    electrix warp factory
    behringer vamp pro
    behringer bcr2000 and bcf2000
    korg padkontrol,
    midi keyboard
    focusrite twin trak and penta
    bbe max com
    2 turntables and a microphone sennheiser e845
    akg perception 400 mic
    and a yamaha tenori-on
    a stylophone and a zylophone

and 3 patchbays

music is mainly a hobby although I dj when ever i can for extra pennies,
    mainly round limerick and ennis. I studied Audio technology in manchester
    and i'm handy for tech and rtfm problems, not bad with a soldering iron either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

even though its starting to sound like an AA meeting .... my name is cormac and I've ended up doing a bit of music production by accident more than design. Its more of a hobby than anything else.

I use a variation of macs from a mac mini to a 17" mac book pro using an edirol FA101 (8 in s and 8 outs) as an input source. Mainly use Logic for recording through and I use a variation of outboard effects as well as compressors, eq etc - which I prefer to use more than the digital effects. Everything in monitored through a set of Truths (cheap but decent enough).

I've managed to come out with decent enough quality with three tunes having gotten a decent bit of national airplay, one of which charted respectably but its a very cheap and cheerful setup with no proper live room.

also have a live PA (Crest 650 with tops and bassbins), 5 or 6 SM58s and a whole crap load of cables. Ive a yamaha dd55, dd65, ds21, a coupla basses and a few guitars lying round.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DJ SC

im dj sc
    live in waterford and dj and produce drum and bass and dubstep.
    mainly use reason 4 an thats about it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Howdy!

Was making music since I remember myself. It was always a hobby, but after redundancies from my programming work, over 7 years ago, opened a recording studio.

Compi: PC! with Cubase 4.5, using Creamware Pulsar sound card.
    Pre-Amps: Audient and Focusrite
    Mics: NeumannU87, CAD, Rode, Shure, RedAudio
    Beats: FruityLoops (don't care if they change the name!)
    Monitors: Adam

Bigger gear list @ http://shaysstudio.ie/equipment.html
    My music @ http://www.myspace.com/balaftunax
    Recording samples: http://shaysstudio.ie/samples.html

cheerios!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Powellman

Hi,

My names Ross and I'm a 3rd year sound engineering student in Bray Institute for Further Education.

I've been recording since I was about 15 and I'm 20 now so I've slowly being learning my way around the different recording and mixing techniques. I mainly recorded heavy metal and rock but I also make a lot of electronic dance music based of 8bit synths (check out 8bitcollective.com for more on that)

equipment:
    PC: Intel Pentium quad-core 2.3ghz processor, 4gigs of DDR3 ram, Radeon HD 4870 Graphics card and an M-Audio Fast Track usb soundcard
    Microhphones: Shure SM58
    Guitars: Harley Benton 7-string
    Monitors: Alesis M1 Aktives MK2
    Midi Keyboard: M-Audio Oxygen8 v2
    Software: Protools 7.4, Cubase SX3, Reason 4,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Hey I'm Andy,

I did the Pulse C&G thing a few years back and the Pro Tools courses aswell and my setup consists of...

PC with Cubase SX3, Reason 4, Sound Forge and a micky load of VST's

Mackie Onyx 1640 Analog mixer with firewire interface
    Steinberg's Houston midi controller for Cubase
    A vintage Pearl 8 channel analog mixer!

M-Audio BX5A monitors

2 x Shure SM58's
    2 x Shure SM57's
    1 x Shure Beta58
    AKG Drum Mic kit (the egg and four clip on mic's)
    2 x RØDE NT1-A's (beautiful mic's)

Yamaha midi keyboard

Behringer compressor/limiter
    A cheap patch bay
    Line 6's POD
    Korg AX3000G

A Gibson Custom Les Paul (the black beauty)
    A cheapo "Fender" bass
    Marshall amp

Samples of my work here ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/ElectronicaJazz

Cheeeers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Not sure I should post here cause I'm hardly into audio gear or software. I have nothing and use nothing, except my program that I created called Photosounder and Photoshop. Well I also use Adobe Audition for a few things. That's it really, I know that's a bit atypical hehe, although Photoshop is quite a good kind of DAW ;).

As for I do with that, well, I just experiment with the possibilities of using images to make and edit sound, and I post some results on my website's examples page, on my blog and on the YouTube channel as well. Trying to learn how to make sound/music that way without anything else. These days I'm mostly experimenting with "creative vocoding".

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hey guys just took some shots of my place :) pretty happy with the ongoing never will be finished project..... :) have the feeling it will always be a work in progress :D ha

live-area-small.jpg

control-room-small.jpg

The bigger shots are on my space etc... :)

www.westlakelodgestudios.com

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Troyad21

Hey lads,
    My name is Brian.
    Just discovered the Music Production forum here and just thought I'd introduce myself and throw up a link to some of my tracks.

I've been teaching myself piano and music production since around Christmas.Thought myself guitar about 9 years ago when I was in first year.I can't read music so I just learn by ear, watching or tab.I would love to do something in Sound Engineering or Music Production College in the future but for the moment its just a hobby while I save or hope to win the lotto, haha.

This is my setup at the moment:

Imac 20inch
    Logic Express 8 (Hoping to get Pro down the line)
    Pro Tools LE 8 (Don't use much)
    M-Box 2 Mini
    M-Audio Nova Mic (Never used as I don't really sing)
    M-Audio Studiophile Monitors (Small but perfect for my setup)
    Yamaha RH-5Ma Monitor Headphones
    M-Audio Axiom 61 and 25
    Ibanez Semi-Acoustic Guitar
    Zoom G2.1u Effects Pedal
    That's it really.

I love everything so a lot of my tracks are different styles or whatever comes to mind at the time.(Hiphop, RnB, Acoustic, Electronic, Dance.....)
    I really love Hiphop and RnB so the majority would be that style as I'm hoping to do an album with a friend of mine that raps.
    The track with him in the link is the 1st track we've done together.
    All instruments are played by me.
    Thanks for reading and if you have the time check out my tracks and let me know what you think.
    Cheers,
    Brian.

http://www.bebo.com/TrojanBeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ahoy hoy! I'm fairly new here so I figured I might give a little intro. ;)

I'm Brian. I'm a bassist primarily, but also (try) to play a little guitar. I just mess around with recording and attempting to write songs in my room. Lots of half finished songs. :o

Only got a bit more serious about equipment recently so it's not lookin too good yet. But here's a list of what I use;

Computer stuff
    Lenovo T400 2.4Ghz Centrino 2, 2GB Ram, 14" screen, 160GB HD & 250GB external
    FL Studio 9 Producer edition with a lot of plugins inc (TRacks, Guitar Rig, Pod Farm and a bunch of softsynths)
    E-MU 1616 PCMCIA interface

Mic(s) :o
    Sennheiser E606
    Blue Ball (on the way at the moment!)
    Some other DIY mics in progress

Amps
    Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 w/ 2x10 cab (bass amp)
    1962 Harmony H-303A - 3watts of fury! (guitar amp)

Instruments
    3 x Aria Pro II SB's ('84, '87-ish and '07)
    Fretted 4 string Jazz Bass with active preamp
    Fretless 4 string Precision Bass (passive, direct to jack)
    1987 Gibson Les Paul Junior DC

Effects
    Tubescreamer clone
    early 70's Morley Power Wah Fuzz
    Boss bass chorus
    Guttermouth Electronics Doom Fuzz, "Orange Squeezer" type comp & clean booster
    Maybe some other crappy disortions in there somewhere too...

Not as fancy as others equipment lists but it does the job so far. Gotta start somewhere! ;)

Advertisement