Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

ongarboy wrote: »
    I believe that actress also played the Whirlygig Witch on Fortycoats. I remember making the connection at the time. Oddly, I just checked IMDB.com (tv/film credits website and it shows a list of TV/film credits for that actress but not Fortycoats yet it is definitely her from googling her image. There is no mention of the children's tv show Fortycoats at all on imdb..!

That's correct - she was in Fortycoats and Co.

IMDB for Irish shows is sketchy.

She features in A Week In The Life Of Martin Cluxton too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Anyone remember the Smithwicks ads from the 90's?

'Everyone was in that night - Freddy Forecast (It's definitely goin to rain)
    Whispering Jack - (A pint of Smithwicks please)
    Glasses - (Two glasses please) etc.

Can't find it on You Tube

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

speaking of ads. This file is cringeworthy. Go straight to 19min36 and let it run to the end.A mix of Irelands equiv of the xfactor & shoulderpads with 80s ads thrown in at the end. Also note those jackets your school teacher would wear.. nuff said. Seems the uploader has a pile of 80s video tapes being purged. Reminds me how awful tv was back then.
    Also it appears to be recorded on a V2000 machine (how early 80s) which is the videorecorder that you could flip over the tapes like an audio tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iio1Z_8Q_zo&feature=plcp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

And now for some cheesy soundtracks:

"The sun's so fine as the day begins
    And it won't be long till I'm drinkin it in
    Drinkin in the su-u-u-un
    Sunkist is the one"

"Smog smog smog smog
    Gotta stop that smog and we gotta know how
    We gotta switch to smokeless fuels right now......We are the Smogbusters!!!"

"First time,first love
    O the feelin is this
    Electricity flows....
    Something new has begun
    You can tell the pieces are starting to fit........(Pepsi ad I think)

"Fifty fifty cashback,fifty fifty cashback
    Is half price gas
    It's half price gas!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Another good way of finding 80s ads off Youtube is if you search for programs from that era. If someone taped them off RTE and uploaded them to youtube you'll often find they include the ad breaks in whatever programme they uploaded. I was looking for some documentaries on Dublin in the 1980s so by inputting Dublin 1988, I got some shows about the Dublin millenium etc which had a number of ads I remembered from back in the day.

I might be going back to the 70s now but does anyone remember an ad for Rolos where a giant rolo tube filled with loads of packets of Rolos rolled down the street with everyone (in their flares:D) running after it. It had a theme of "Roll out the Rolo" which was a take of the song Roll out the Barrel. I remember as a kid thinking those people in the ad were so lucky to be getting all those Rolos! I'd love to see that ad again for pure nostalgia!

Another ad I liked was for Cookeen (cooking fat) where everyone floated into the air after eating food (scones etc) with Cookeen in them (Give em a lift ooh ooh with Cookeen!)
    I very vaguely remember that Rolo ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Another ad I liked was for Cookeen (cooking fat) where everyone floated into the air after eating food (scones etc) with Cookeen in them (Give em a lift ooh ooh with Cookeen!)

I liked that one too! Nice little jingle.

Can anybody help me with this one.......tis probably not a far back as the 80s,or even the 90s,but I still don't have much to go by and all I can remember is that it was about something serious-there was a woman talking to the camera but her face couldn't be seen because it was blanked out and her voice was a bit autotuned or distorted,and she said something like:
    "I shiver whenever I think of the word 'picnic' "

Can anyone remember what that ad was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Seasan wrote: »
    Can anybody help me with this one.......tis probably not a far back as the 80s,or even the 90s,but I still don't have much to go by and all I can remember is that it was about something serious-there was a woman talking to the camera but her face couldn't be seen because it was blanked out and her voice was a bit autotuned or distorted,and she said something like:
    "I shiver whenever I think of the word 'picnic' "

Can anyone remember what that ad was about?

Here you go ...
    HAVE you seen those ridiculous Food safety Promotion Board ads?

They show several different people whose faces are blurred out to conceal their identify and their voices altered.

Their crime? They didn't cook food properly.

We are told that these bold people let their friends and family suffer after they ended up with sore tummies.

The way these ads go on you'd think it was murder they'd committed.

My favourite line is when the women, her faced blurred and her voice distorted says, 'I shiver when I hear the word PICNIC'.

How any ad agency can be making ads like these in 2003 is beyond me.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Clare+McKeon%3A+TV+ad+hard+to+swallow.-a0103897298

• does anyone remember this car advert from the 80's about a man asleep in bed with his wife dreaming about his car( cant remember the make) but the car was called 'sarah' and he dreamed that the car door was opened while it was reversing and it was about to hit a column, and he woke up from the nightmare calling 'sarah and hus wife asks ' whos sarah?'

does anyone remember this car advert from the 80's about a man asleep in bed with his wife dreaming about his car( cant remember the make) but the car was called 'sarah' and he dreamed that the car door was opened while it was reversing and it was about to hit a column, and he woke up from the nightmare calling 'sarah and hus wife asks ' whos sarah?'

I'm afraid I havent a clue about that one-but earlier on in this thread you were looking for the Bonzo the dog killing sheep ad,so I just thought I'd let you know that it is actually on another thread here called "RTE dogs killing sheep advert sometime in the 80s".Twas great to watch it again

• Advertisement

A few more which flooded back into me head while I was buffing floors this evening:

"The queen of hearts,she baked some tarts,all on a summers day.
    The knave of hearts,stole all those tarts,but then he threw them away!
    She should have used Odlums....."

"Hello Dave.
    I am sorry to disturb you,but I feel we do need to talk."
    (creepy but funny TV licence ad where the TV starts talking to Dave the viewer)

Marty Whelan:"Are you happy with your washing powder?"
    Woman in supermarket:"Oh god you sound the same as the telly!"

And does anybody remember those ads for toilet paper,with Bernie and Rose-Violet the housemaids in them?

And the TV license ad about TV spongers featuring a talking sponge and a hand reaching out and grabbing him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

And does anybody remember those ads for toilet paper,with Bernie and Rose-Violet the housemaids in them?

"His lordship's loo is in need of some Jumbos!" :D Yer wan Twink again, god she was everywhere!

darkdubh wrote: »
    And the TV license ad about TV spongers featuring a talking sponge and a hand reaching out and grabbing him

They used to frighten the crap outa me-one of them had the sponge hanging on the clothes line,and the V.O.,scary as ever,saying "TV SPONGERS BEWARE-THE SQUEEZE IS ON!!" and then the sponge hanging on the line screamed ".....and tis not nice!!!"

Now as I'm remembering,RTÉ did use scaremongering when it came to TV licensing....after the TV Sponger ads(which weren't actually scary-twas just me that was scared of them),then came the ads with "real life" people,their faces blanked out,in darkened rooms talkin to the cameras,sayin stuff like ".....I couldn't answer my little daughter when she asked me why did I have to go to court-I couldn't even look her in the eye..."
    And then the threatening closing line:
    "The inspectors are calling.
    Make sure YOU have a TV Licence when they call."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What about the Lucozade ad from back then (not entirely sure it was the 80's, might have been even earlier :eek:)

Hello!
    Your Peter's better then??

I've tried and tried to find a video of that ad - there's something that kicks off the memory of the "your Peter's better, then?" line in my mind, in my best English accent, but I have finally lost the memory of every single word of the ad, which I had for a worryingly long time.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What about the Lucozade ad from back then (not entirely sure it was the 80's, might have been even earlier :eek:)

Hello!

I've tried and tried to find a video of that ad - there's something that kicks off the memory of the "your Peter's better, then?" line in my mind, in my best English accent, but I have finally lost the memory of every single word of the ad, which I had for a worryingly long time.

Not quite what you described, but it sounds similar to this one ...

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_vintage.php?filename=VA0473

Skid X wrote: »
    Not quite what you described, but it sounds similar to this one ...

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_vintage.php?filename=VA0473
    Not the one I'm thinking of - looks a lot older! But along the same lines alright.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Hello!

I've remembered what it was!!

"It's only me.... your Peter's better then?"

Every time I hear "it's only me" I think of that ad, even all these years later.

Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

TV Ark have a number of old Lucozade adverts.
    http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/adverts/l.html

Unfortunately the bouncing Peter is not among them.

I think that particular one dates from 1979 or so.

• Advertisement

"Woke up in the mornin,lots of hot water,Nightsaver electricity's been workin all night.........Ohhhhhh the Night-saver"

"Ve have come becauz ve heardz aboutz dze Harp........no no no shtrrringz-dziz iz vat ve vantz!"

"When sleepy heads get outa bed-Fruice,the juice..
    When you've ran from A to Z-Fruice,the juice..."

And does anybody remember a beer ad which had different clips of different people in different places talking about different things-but the clips were all blended in to make one conversation?Twas a good ad-for some Swedish beer;Fürstenberg I think.....

"Woke up in the mornin,lots of hot water,Nightsaver electricity's been workin all night.........Ohhhhhh the Night-saver"

"Ve have come becauz ve heardz aboutz dze Harp........no no no shtrrringz-dziz iz vat ve vantz!"

"When sleepy heads get outa bed-Fruice,the juice..
    When you've ran from A to Z-Fruice,the juice..."

And does anybody remember a beer ad which had different clips of different people in different places talking about different things-but the clips were all blended in to make one conversation?Twas a good ad-for some Swedish beer;Fürstenberg I think.....
    Barmans attractive daughter "I think they're gorgeous" barman "Tourists!".

Barmans attractive daughter "I think they're gorgeous" barman "Tourists!".

Was the daughter the one playing the harp? Or it could have been his wife :-) :-D

"Do the Shake And Vac and put the freshness back,when your carpet smells fresh your home does too...."

"On his way to the airport he got a puncture-only to find that his spare tyre was also flat.By the time he had managed to hitch a lift to the airport,his flight had gone.So why is he smiling?
    He's having a Hoffmans".

"Good evening.I'm sorry to bother you but I'm actually having a dinner party and...unfortunately I've run out of coffee!"
    "Do come in."
    "Thank you."
    "Would Nescafé be adequate for your party?It does have a very sophisticated taste."
    "We are very sophisticated people."
    "Oooh yes........"
    "Certainly...............well,I really should be getting back."

(and the love story begins...)

Was the daughter the one playing the harp? Or it could have been his wife :-) :-D
    Not too sure on that.BTW does anyone remember an RTE documentary from the same time that used an edited version of this ad for the title sequence?It was called The Viking Terror and they used the bit from the start with the Vikings coming in on their longboat waving their weapons and all the locals fleeing in terror.

I'm gone into rewind again with ads.....here's another one which came to me head-one which scared me even though twas about somethin harmless but I just can't remember what twas about.What I found scary was in the background there was exciting music and the sound of thunder,and a couple of times there was the sound of a fella singing the words:

"LIGHTNING WHITENING!!!!"

in a really loud high-pitched voice.

Can anybody remember what that ad was about?
    Could it have been washing powder or something??

Tom did ye put the cat out?Its on here at 40:00.Actually the guys name is John but everyone,myself included rememberd him as Tom for some reason..

http://youtu.be/bWVamrSbgus

Tom did ye put the cat out?Its on here at 40:00.Actually the guys name is John but everyone,myself included rememberd him as Tom for some reason..

You're a legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Tom did ye put the cat out?Its on here at 40:00.

And I see at the end of that ad a phone number appears on screen for the Fire Prevention Council

"Phone: 714070 "

i.e. WITHOUT the (01) area code, as if they were only broadcasting to Dublin !

• Advertisement

That one is class, well found. I haven't seen it on years.

Tom John should have won an Oscar - "The tongs! The tongs!"

Advertisement