Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter.

• 15-12-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Same rules apply as per every other sub-forum here.
    Personal abuse = banned.
    Lame threads = banned.
    General jackassery = banned.

I'm a complete nazi when it comes to the subject of quitting smoking and anyone stepping out of place will be given a permanent ban.
    I really don't see myself banning anyone because I'm pretty sure all of the people posting here are genuinely interested in quitting smoking and will be supportive of their fellow addicts, but there is always one...

Best of luck to everyone in their quest to quit.

ETA: No medical advice to be given. Lawsuits and all that.
    ETAA: I'm leaving this thread open for suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can self righteous non-smoking propaganda result in a warning or ban? I'm all for people who want to help others quit etc etc, but these little bitter single issue people annoy me. It's the same with everything in life but seriously they are the PETA of the smoking world.

Keeping the crap from both sides out of here might leave people actually condering quitting or who are quitting a chance to talk about things. Versus long rants about smokers by teary eyed people who lost their dad/mum/canary to cancer because they smoked. We're sorry for your loss but take your soapbox and inane preaching elsewhere please.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nesf wrote:
    Can self righteous non-smoking propaganda result in a warning or ban? I'm all for people who want to help others quit etc etc, but these little bitter single issue people annoy me. It's the same with everything in life but seriously they are the PETA of the smoking world.

Keeping the crap from both sides out of here might leave people actually condering quitting or who are quitting a chance to talk about things. Versus long rants about smokers by teary eyed people who lost their dad/mum/canary to cancer because they smoked. We're sorry for your loss but take your soapbox and inane preaching elsewhere please.
    Nesf, I'm a smoker.
    I'm a smoker who wants to quit.
    I will not tolerate bull**** from anyone here on either side of the fence.

there is a smoking forum for those who enjoy smoking and this is a forum for those who want to quit.
    only helpful posts will be tolerated.
    anyone coming in here and spouting off any crap about how harmful smoking is and how smokers are weak willed etc. will be banned. All of us already know smoking is harmful. that's why this forum exists.
    alternatively, those coming in here looking to promote smoking will be banned. as i already pointed out, there is a forum for people who enjoy smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi Terry, I found your post helpful as this is my first attempt at posting and hope that I have fully understood all the rules and am getting it right.

I have sadly made many attempts to quit smoking without success, but I now feel somehow more confident that I can and will manage it if I approach day one with the right attitude.

I have joined this forum in the hope that I can share with others who are in the same position or (indeed with those further along the road) who can offer me a little support, guidance or even just share their own coping mechanisms or tips.

I know it will shock and amaze most readers of this post to learn that in actual fact I was offered my first cigarette many years ago as a young student nurse following my first day in theatre. It was over a cup of tea in the rest room that our Chief Surgeon proferred one of his own 'To calm your nerves dear' as he so kindly put it! I am not for one moment suggesting that he or anyone else was responsible for my taking up this habit, but just giving a little background as to how I started. Seems unbelievable now but back then the full impact of the affect on health was not discussed at the level that it is today. If anything it appeared to be glamorised and advertised everywhere. Since that fateful day and with most of my student nurse friends joining me in my habit, I have been a 10 a day smoker. ( Apart from the short bouts of attempting to quit)I so hate everything associated with my habit, apart from the feeling it gives me, that I smoke out of doors only, wear a smoking coat to save my clothes from becoming smelly and using a mouthwash or breath spray after each cigarette! I never smoke in anyone's house and never in front of non-smokers. Most sane people would say why do I bother at all, but I guess the answer to that is that I am badly addicted.
    On the occasions that I have given up, I was so badly affected by the withdrawl symptoms that I was not an easy person to live with; unbearably short tempered, prone to bouts of tearfullness, stressed, anxious etc etc. It always reached a point where eventually my husband could/would not watch me any longer and would simply buy me a packet and leave them in front of me telling me that he could not see me suffer like that. After succumbing to temptation I would feel so weak, stupid and defeated. I so envied those who had succeeded. This time I have set a day and date, written down my reasons for wanting to quit and the reasons I quit each time etc. There is nothing I want to do more than this right now and to be honest don't think I could deal with failure again as it simply makes me feel that the addiction is controlling me when in fact I need to be in control of me and I do believe that with the right thinking and attitude I can and will do it.

Any suggestions or tips would be so welcome and appreciated by me and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this rambling effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

well put.

how are you doing now ?

quit yet ?

Advertisement