Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eagle attacking Pigeon?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

fryup wrote: »
    i know you meant well, but by doing that your interfering with nature and prolonging the death of the pigeon :(

Plus any injury inflicted on the pigeon is probably infected by now and will lead to suffering and slow death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Not a nice coincidence.

A female sparrowhawk just crashed into a neighbours window and died.
    Think she was attracted to the birds on the bird feeder there.
    Probably the one I saw the other day.
    I can't believe it. Heartbroken.
    Hopefully too early for chicks to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Happens a lot unfortunately, shame. When you see the explosive speed of the attack flight you can understand how windows catch them out. Sometimes just stuns them, but usually terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Looks like they don't have chicks until May/June. So at least that's a plus.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/sparrowhawk/breeding-nesting-habits/#:~:text=Sparrowhawk%20young&text=Three%20to%20six%20eggs%20are,the%20chicks%20are%20different%20sizes.

"Three to six eggs are laid at two-day intervals during May. Incubation lasts for 32-35 days and the eggs hatch in succession over two or more days, so that the chicks are different sizes. The female helps the chicks to break out of their shell. They are covered in pure white short down, and their eyes are already partly open when they hatch. "

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/sparrowhawk/hunting/

"The usual flying speed is 30-40 kph, but a sparrowhawk is capable of up to 50 kph in short bursts. Hunting sparrowhawks can be so focussed on their task that they put themselves at risk of harm from collisions. Because they're quite easily seen, and small birds will give warning calls to each other, only about one attack in ten results in capture."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

A sparrowhawk haunts a car dealership I know. It's full of pigeons, the hawk basically plucks them out of the air and devours them. Ive videos. I reckon the dealer could charge money for the show.

On a side note, I'd never seen a BOP in the 70s through till recent years, hard to believe buzzards were extinct in ireland and only recently ish reintroduced themselves, now I daily see more hawks than sparrows. It's absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

emo72 wrote: »
    A sparrowhawk haunts a car dealership I know. It's full of pigeons, the hawk basically plucks them out of the air and devours them. Ive videos. I reckon the dealer could charge money for the show.

On a side note, I'd never seen a BOP in the 70s through till recent years, hard to believe buzzards were extinct in ireland and only recently ish reintroduced themselves, now I daily see more hawks than sparrows. It's absolutely amazing.

Same as - didn't see a BOP on my grandmothers farm in SE Mayo till 2016 despite having a near 40 year interest in birding. Its hard to believe that as recently as the 80's you would be lucky to see a Kestrel or Hawk once or twice a year in most of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same as - didn't see a BOP on my grandmothers farm in SE Mayo till 2016 despite having a near 40 year interest in birding. Its hard to believe that as recently as the 80's you would be lucky to see a Kestrel or Hawk once or twice a year in most of the country
    I grew up beside Colbert station in Limerick city and all through the 80/90s there was sparrow hawks living in the area !
    The railway station was absolutely full of pigeons/gulls and crows so must have been a rich hunting ground for the Hawks!
    I have never spotted a sparrow Hawk in the countryside only ever in urban areas!

Sparrowhawks in particular are stealthy operators. They are widespread and common. Even in suburban situations there are likely to be spars in your area.
    I know of several nests in Dublin city environs, which might not seem likely.

But definitely not easy to spot, oftentimes the only indication is a sudden rush through a garden etc. If you are lucky enough to see one on a kill it may have to eat where the prey has been caught, but even then, if the prey item isnt too large the hawk will usually carry it to cover to finish the meal.

This is actually a good time of year to see them as they may be seen doing high soaring flights over their nesting territories around now.

And to say again, it is great to see our raptors doing well generally, its a success story really, and a positive sign in the overall ecological picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

bubblypop wrote: »
    Dog is too big.
    I'm not one bit sorry I don't understand whether the sparrowhawk eat all the pigeon or whether he leaves half it lying in the garden and I didn't have time to google.
    I don't know why you would insult someone about their level of understanding of the sparrowhawks dining habits And then don't even tell them what they are!

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

TedR wrote: »
    Happens a lot unfortunately, shame. When you see the explosive speed of the attack flight you can understand how windows catch them out. Sometimes just stuns them, but usually terminal.

A wood pigeon was attacking a window at work. Presume that he was getting territorial as it's breeding season, seeing his reflection as a rival.

Tried to chase him away for his own good, he more or less ignored me as he was so focused on attacking his "rival". Eventually he went to a tree close to the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

MOD: <<SNIP..

Unfortunately there are and some have great ideas for saving the environment, like creating lovely parks and golf courses, instead of letting things be wild and allowed to live properly.
    Have seen a good few owls you just need to be able to call them. (And it to be night obviously). Great to see.
    One came at me when disturbed eating it's freshly cought rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

emo72 wrote: »

Here in North East Wicklow, the Buzzrds are now a daily sight and sound, soaring above our local towns and villages, Newtown, Kilcoole, Greystones.

There are two things I regularly look up for overhead.... Buzzards and the space station :)

Good few Red Kites down your way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

TedR wrote: »
    Good few Red Kites down your way too.

Haven't seen any here yet, but I believe they are well established in Avoca.

Just as I am typing here, I heard the buzzard call and went out the back garden to see six of them riding the thermals looking like they are practicing formation flying in a clear blue sky..... great to see.

Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Here’s a sparrow hawk after a kill on a pigeon a few weeks back.

https://twitter.com/bobbysands81/status/1356639913559662598?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Circle of life.

Predators have to eat too you know? What do you expect it to do? Chew on celery?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

MOD: Folks, please cut out the personal attacks and the tit-for-tat. I've deleted some posts, please keep it civil. Thanks.

Advertisement