Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What dairy bulls are you going with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That’s just a Glanbia problem .....for now on the felkveigh I wouldn’t consider them later in season due to cows carrying a good bit over time and big calves ,I really don’t get the hype with them tbh

It's a problem for 5000/16000 farmers, fair chunk of suppliers that will have a reduced demand for heifers for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It's a problem for 5000/16000 farmers, fair chunk of suppliers that will have a reduced demand for heifers for the next few years

As I said just a Glanbia problem atm lots of other coops and suppliers not in that boat ....yet and with Tegasc telling us all minimal Fr Ai snd more beef and lots of lads going that way demand will be there for quality dairy stock sold a bunch of maidens recently and if I had treble the amount there’d be no bother selling ,April may calving cows making 14/1500 plus heifer calves 500

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

They won't be now with the glanbia situation,

Considering using flechveigh after the first 5 weeks ai

Anyone know what calving ease of them is like aswell as gestation

Neighbour here ran a Fleckvieh bull with the cows last year. Getting €400 after a few weeks old for bull calves. But cows carrying a lot of days and had to assist more cows that you would like to.

Used sexed semen here last year on a few and ended up with 73% heifers. Going the same way again this year. Tried Aubrac and blues here this year. Mixed results some very big calves. Going back to the Angus here this year just not worth the hassle of the others imo. Sold 15 Angus yearlings this week for €725 nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Have 3 imported fleckvieh here, went through about 40 certs and picked them. Cows have been good so far to be fair but by far the the pure fleckvieh calves are the worst drinkers on this farm in years.

We used alot of sexed last season with fairly good results, given we landed a good few heifers we are going back to all conventional this year and now at 50 euro a straw it's getting too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    Gestation too long, leads to bigger calves. Can come black and white as well and leads to not getting much more than fr as bull calves

Tried the Montbeliarde years ago. Cantbseoeratebthem in my mind from fleckveih. Both Simmental derived.

Good cows to milk, tough to the weather elements, but very hard on themselves calving, carried over time, and impossible to get an acceptable percentage of them to calve by 24 months. Body weight of mature cows too heavy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

alps wrote: »
    Tried the Montbeliarde years ago. Cantbseoeratebthem in my mind from fleckveih. Both Simmental derived.

Good cows to milk, tough to the weather elements, but very hard on themselves calving, carried over time, and impossible to get an acceptable percentage of them to calve by 24 months. Body weight of mature cows too heavy..

Have two second calving montbelliarde friesian crosses here. Calved a month. Haven't recorded yet so don't know their constituents but they are doing 28 litres. I found that when it got past mid September last year they held the milk better than the friesian too for what that's worth. I wouldn't have any objections to buying/breeding more of them.

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Neighbour here ran a Fleckvieh bull with the cows last year. Getting €400 after a few weeks old for bull calves. But cows carrying a lot of days and had to assist more cows that you would like to.

Used sexed semen here last year on a few and ended up with 73% heifers. Going the same way again this year. Tried Aubrac and blues here this year. Mixed results some very big calves. Going back to the Angus here this year just not worth the hassle of the others imo. Sold 15 Angus yearlings this week for €725 nothing wrong with that

Thats a great hit with sexed, what was your protocol for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

From 1997 pg catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Fowlerstown! that herd rings a bell. Nice looking cow wasn't she.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Fowlerstown! that herd rings a bell. Nice looking cow wasn't she.

A certain Stanfit ,and his dad have been breeding Ai quality stock for many a year ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

FR 5860 Saintbrigid frank Joseph
    FR 5704 Mo Salah
    FR 4785 Glenaboy Ronald
    FR 4726 Coolnasoon Diamond
    TFZ
    FR 4756 Firoda Jubilaris 11
    FR 6808 Firoda Jubilaris 28

I'm getting 2 straws from both of these bulls just as a little trial.
    MO 4146 Ilanne
    BS 4346 Superbrown Arrow

davidk1394 wrote: »
    FR 5704 Mo Salah
    FR 4785 Glenaboy Ronald
    TFZ

MO 4146 Ilanne
    BS 4346 Superbrown Arrow

Any of them sexed? I am serving 20 cows atm with sexed mo salah. Won't do anymore for a few weeks then. I was a bit short in January this year for liquid quota and was penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any of them sexed? I am serving 20 cows atm with sexed mo salah. Won't do anymore for a few weeks then. I was a bit short in January this year for liquid quota and was penalised

You must have ordered pre Xmas for the sexed Salah?

jd_12345 wrote: »
    You must have ordered pre Xmas for the sexed Salah?

No. 2 weeks ago and delivered for when I started serving on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

No I'm not doing any sexed semen this year. I used mo salah last year and I got one heifer out of 4 straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

No. 2 weeks ago and delivered for when I started serving on Thursday

I wouldn't be a usual Dovea customer but I rang at the start of March and they didn't even entertain the idea of getting Salah sexed.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a usual Dovea customer but I rang at the start of March and they didn't even entertain the idea of getting Salah sexed.

I bought straws off them the last few years. Nothing major. Rep was here a couple of weeks ago and I ordered some off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

davidk1394 wrote: »
    FR 5704 Mo Salah
    FR 4785 Glenaboy Ronald
    TFZ

MO 4146 Ilanne
    BS 4346 Superbrown Arrow

Just a word on the Brown Swiss if you haven't used them before, they grow to very big framey cows, great allrounders, health and longevity, just to know the cow you're putting them on.
    The can carry a week extra time too so use early.
    Also some brown swiss breed programmes like the Germans have a beef element for balance and some are pure dairy, eg the USA. He's an Italian bull and I'm not sure which way they lean but I'd guess it's more to the extreme dairy side, so again, just to know your cow.

last year we bred from maidens for the first time, previously used easy calving AA. We did however use sexed on them as mitigation and 6% difficulty. (still got bulls)

given we actually have now way too many heifer calves on the ground for once and cost of sexed we are going back to all conventional this year, we would still be nervous about it as well as not knowing the performance of the animal

this years maidens are approx 60% British Friesian & 40% HOL, so we will go in with approx 80/20 holstein bull to maintain milk and give more options on blood lines.

many of you breeding off maidens? what bulls are you using for them

last year we bred from maidens for the first time, previously used easy calving AA. We did however use sexed on them as mitigation and 6% difficulty. (still got bulls)

given we actually have now way too many heifer calves on the ground for once and cost of sexed we are going back to all conventional this year, we would still be nervous about it as well as not knowing the performance of the animal

this years maidens are approx 60% British Friesian & 40% HOL, so we will go in with approx 80/20 holstein bull to maintain milk and give more options on blood lines.

Why not sell the surplus?
    Everything bred here to dairy ai for 6 weeks and beef then
    Pick out the calves we want for ourselves and sell the rest which are still v good calves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have always bred maidens to ai dairy, generally wont be short of heifer calves once that is done and cows for first 6 weeks with just conventional semen. Just make sure to use bulls with a reliable calving survey, after that you can match the bulls to each heifer.

Why not sell the surplus?
    Everything bred here to dairy ai for 6 weeks and beef then
    Pick out the calves we want for ourselves and sell the rest which are still v good calves

I think we will sell a few as in calf heifers, similar were fetching near 2k on average but might not be the case in 2 years time.

Likely cull a little bit harder when they are coming in also so it's a good complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Starting cows 10 days early this year and using sexed on 50/100 best cows based on kgs solids , beef on everything else might use some conventional on second round of the good cows if in early , all dairy sexed on maidens , cidrs in yesterday will ai next friday.
    Also doing why wait programme this year watching cows heats the last week and anything hulling the last week will get estrumate next week on first week of ai should mean 70/80 served in first week of ai

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I'm surprised that somebody thought naming a bull 'Mo Salah' was a good idea.
    I'm surprised there haven't been complaints.

Yamasaka and praser on heifers never worry about having excess dairy stock always a home from them majority here will be served to Fr Ai before Angus bull cleans up from mid June

john9876 wrote: »
    They have van dyke too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

They have van dyke too

Haha I actually passed van dijk and Sebastians home farm in listowel today. Incredible farms along the back road from listowel to ballybunnion . I suppose everywhere looks great in weather like today.

john9876 wrote: »

Hope the bull is better at scoring than salah is recently....

Anyone have an idea of success rates in synchronised programs on cows, have a couple of 1st lac that had no issues calving and good weight not cycled yet approx 60 days.

Usually wouldn't bother but they are fleckvieh I imported to trial, to be fair milking well and they certainly had not grazed previously and we were told otherwise.

I See there is a CIDR/Grnh/PM/Grnh 10 day program but not sure how suited milking cows are .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Anyone have an idea of success rates in synchronised programs on cows, have a couple of 1st lac that had no issues calving and good weight not cycled yet approx 60 days.

Usually wouldn't bother but they are fleckvieh I imported to trial, to be fair milking well and they certainly had not grazed previously and we were told otherwise.

I See there is a CIDR/Grnh/PM/Grnh 10 day program but not sure how suited milking cows are .

At that point the trail concluded.

Sorry not much help. Think more suited to young cows so might have some success. I'd get the vet to check them over before going down any route

Advertisement