Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barbell workout options?

Options
  • 08-04-2021 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So, I discovered the 5x5 app and it looks great and I thought I'd drag out the ole Aldi barbell set I have and get to it. Only, when I checked, it's a mere 14kg set. Barbell plates seem to come with a hole that's too small to slip on to this barbell, and it's not like I can go down to Aldi and get weight plates until next time they sell these :(

Then I saw things like Les Mills and Barbell Bodypump. I am now confused.

Is there anywhere I can get weight plates that are 1.25 inches instead of 1" ?

OR - is there any hope for me to find a workout that's in any way effective using just the 14kg set I have?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Programmes like 5x5 are great but they’re intended for use with a standard Olympic barbell (6-7ft, 20kg, etc.).

Main problem with the one you have would be loading it safely. Most bars like that tend to break easy enough.

Maybe figure out what weight it can be loaded to and then try get more plates. Once you hit max weight you could just add reps.

Alternatively you could save for a proper bar and plates. A lot more expensive but much more versatile and long lasting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would sell what you have, now might be a decent time.

If you want to do barbell training, unfortunately the buy-in is an Olympic bar, plates and ideally a bench and squat stands / rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BikeMeetWorld

Thanks guys,
    it seems pretty much confirmed then that what I have is no good and I can't afford to buy what I need so this is out for me unless I join a gym..

It's put my mind at ease anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Barbell complex workouts are great and you don’t need a lot of weight. You likely won’t build any great muscle though if that’s your goal. I use complexes as cardio... coz lockdown has made me fat..

Advertisement