Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pig Tails and Electric Fence

Options
  • 03-04-2021 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I pounded stakes about 15 years ago for an electric fence and over the last number of years, I have replaced the rotten stakes with the pigtails, I find that they are a good job and cheaper than a stake, I replace the straining posts ok with a timber stake

How many years would the pig tails last for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tomjim wrote: »
    I pounded stakes about 15 years ago for an electric fence and over the last number of years, I have replaced the rotten stakes with the pigtails, I find that they are a good job and cheaper than a stake, I replace the straining posts ok with a timber stake

2-4, the insulation cracks on them. I do much the same it allows me to get a lad with a postdriver in ever 2-3 years and replace anything is needed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Buy a pounder for around €80 and replace your stakes. Pigtails are only for strip grazing and loading cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I say the gallagher pig tail orange top would outlast most timber stakes ,there grand for internal fencing along ditches .What do lads find the best polywire to use .The gallagher turbo 9 grain wire seems long enough lasting but then again only a patch on what it was 4 /5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

cute geoge wrote: »
    I say the gallagher pig tail orange top would outlast most timber stakes ,there grand for internal fencing along ditches .What do lads find the best polywire to use .The gallagher turbo 9 grain wire seems long enough lasting but then again only a patch on what it was 4 /5 years ago

Is the Gallagher the best on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

It's funny I'd say it's unknown how many pigtails are out there ! Most lads probably buy a bundle or two every year.
    Have a contractor coming this week to do permanent electric fence on bounds ditches and a few internal also. Gathered up almost 70 Friday evening and there is probably as many still around the place to be gathered.
    Once done I reckon I should need no more than 25/30 pigtails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 aphextwit

2-4, the insulation cracks on them. I do much the same it allows me to get a lad with a postdriver in ever 2-3 years and replace anything is needed

Pigtail Posts that crack like that are cheap clones and not fit for purpose as the tape and poly wire damaged must be discarded. They can be repaired by the use of screw on insulators.
    Agri retailers stock these bad products because they say farmers won't pay the price of branded pigtails such as those from Pel.

I have Pel posts that are 10 years plus old without any sign of photo degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Took a batch of the ones that had cracked insulation last year and did 2 jobs with them
    Half of them I replaced the insulation with some 1/2 inch yellow hose. Broke off the plastic around the top., Cut a bit of hose, soften it with a bit of boiling water and slid it on. Might get a few more years out of them.
    Other half, I make hot stakes as a few bullock we knocking strip wires,. Bit of nylon bar, about 4 inchs long, filled hole in centre, cut the stake a bit above the foot, threaded both ends of the rod and screwed it into the nylon with some epoxy. Break off the insulation of the top of the stake. Quietened them bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

aphextwit wrote: »
    Pigtail Posts that crack like that are cheap clones and not fit for purpose as the tape and poly wire damaged must be discarded. They can be repaired by the use of screw on insulators.
    Agri retailers stock these bad products because they say farmers won't pay the price of branded pigtails such as those from Pel.

I have Pel posts that are 10 years plus old without any sign of photo degradation.

I am talking about ones that are left outside all year around. Believe it or not frost and cold weather damage's plastic as well. It where you replace a timber post with an electric pigtail to hold the wire in position for a period as OP asked. I have seen Gallagher's and PEL fence post break down as well. The other issue you find is the L welded on breaks off or the straight bar on the post bends as well.

Mine are used and a used a lot. I never worry I replace a bunch ever 2-3 years. There used to be offers of maybe 30 posts for 50 euro and there used to be a hundred euro offer as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Have a few dozen out there. One handy feature of using them is you can move the wire out easily to allow the topper at the weeds. Quickly drop the wire too if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I make up posts for wet land with 1/2" rebar. Small bend at top for handling and safety with cattle. You can get screw on insulators that suit them. They're great along the water trench edge in straight lines with tensioned hi-tensile wire. Cattle just wont go tru them. They go down about 18" by hand in wet weather.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

At that price how long would they last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I use these a lot but find the installated part at top cracks on a lot of them. Wouldn’t have a clue how long that takes as would be buying a few every year so wouldn’t know which was which.

How do they compare price wise with the Gallagher or pel ones and are they better or worse than them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

I fill the cracks on a bunch of them with hot glue every year....messy until you get good at it. Have hundreds of them...hot glue the cracks about 20/30 A year

Manage to destroy 1 or 2 every year by accidentally topping them along with the grass:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

At that price how long would they last?

The foot of them does go rusty after 10 years in the bog. Insulation doesn't crack, but if polywire gets dragged through the eye it will saw through it. Sometimes they have a special offer on them for 20.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

The foot of them does go rusty after 10 years in the bog. Insulation doesn't crack, but if polywire gets dragged through the eye it will saw through it. Sometimes they have a special offer on them for 20.

These are the best out there.. have some I'd say 20 yrs old. Uv light eventually gets to some of them and the gold foot will rust and bend after 10 or 12 yrs. Its a spring steel shaft do it stays quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

I paid €17 for 10 pigtails (white) in Glanbia last Friday!

I paid €17 for 10 pigtails (white) in Glanbia last Friday!

I wonder what make were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

I wonder what make were they?
    I think they are standard Gallagher, They are the same as I have been using for years. Galvanised with a steel foot,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Not a hope, certain cattle (bucket reared typically) lick the bottom of them and pull them out of the ground.

Id keep a few in a field as a back up for broken posts

amacca wrote: »
    I fill the cracks on a bunch of them with hot glue every year....messy until you get good at it. Have hundreds of them...hot glue the cracks about 20/30 A year

Manage to destroy 1 or 2 every year by accidentally topping them along with the grass:D

Is there anything else that could be used instead of hot glue, could silicone be used instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

Is there anything else that could be used instead of hot glue, could silicone be used instead?

Truthfully I don't know, never tried silicone, wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of, potential for even more mess Id think, hard enough to lay a straight bead of that down when you are trying to seal a shower for a poor diy tradesman like me ...never mind hit all the cracks in pigtails insulation

I'll give it a go at some stage this summer though, I'd try most things once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭grange mac

I use the heat shrink tube, push it in over the pigtails and heat it... Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

grange mac wrote: »
    I use the heat shrink tube, push it in over the pigtails and heat it... Works for me.

where can you get that

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭grange mac

cute geoge wrote: »
    where can you get that

Not being smart but Google heat shrink tubing... I used get in aldi, but even Halfords have it. Local coop or DIY shop may not have it. Get 15mm diameter as it is tight going around the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Would have thought heat shrink far too soft, surely the wire cuts through it quickly ?

Never tried the hot glue trick, will give that a go.

Anyone know the approximate cost per metre for a contractor, all in to supply/install creosote stakes and two rows of high tensile wire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Buy a pounder for around €80 and replace your stakes. Pigtails are only for strip grazing and loading cattle

Does anyone use the side of a sledge anymore or is it all gone to pounders?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Does anyone use the side of a sledge anymore or is it all gone to pounders?

Buy an aluminium mallet and you'll never willing use a sledge again. The mallet is much better balanced, easier used and has a bigger striking face that doesn't damage the head of the post. I've both a mallet and a pounder and I'd much rather the mallet although the pounder is useful at times as you can prevent the post from moving when starting it off where to do the same with the mallet means only having one hand to swing it with. The pounder has a nickname of a "man killer" for a reason though and the mallet is nicer for repeated use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Buy an aluminium mallet and you'll never willing use a sledge again. The mallet is much better balanced, easier used and has a bigger striking face that doesn't damage the head of the post. I've both a mallet and a pounder and I'd much rather the mallet although the pounder is useful at times as you can prevent the post from moving when starting it off where to do the same with the mallet means only having one hand to swing it with. The pounder has a nickname of a "man killer" for a reason though and the mallet is nicer for repeated use.

Tie a baling twine around the head of the post, still use the side of the sledge here and crowbar to start the hole #keep fit#:D

Advertisement