Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

kowloon wrote: »
    As for the Trump thing, he's always pushed himself as a high roller who will screw anyone out of money because that's the game. He openly boasts about it. Anyone surprised by fraud from the man is making an effort not to ignore it.

Michael Cohen literally wrote a book on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

never mind us, what does it tell you about me?

I personally think that if someone voluntarily enters their card details online and expects not to be charged at some point, then all their dogs are not barking. Which I suppose is a part of being a Trump supporter/defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I personally think that if someone voluntarily enters their card details online and expects not to be charged at some point, then all their dogs are not barking. Which I suppose is a part of being a Trump supporter/defender.

I get the point you’re making, but I think the issue here is that when they gave their card details, they thought they were making a one off payment, not a recurring one. The fact that they were making ANY payment to Trump is certainly grounds for calling their judgment into question, but giving their card details is not necessarily the most foolish aspect of their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'll never understand the idea of ordinary Joes giving money to politicians

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I'll never understand the idea of ordinary Joes giving money to politicians
    Well seeing how 55% of republican card holders believes the 2020 election was stolen from Trump and 35% of the same card holders believe that the people who gathered at the U.S. Capitol on Jan 6th were peaceful, law-abiding Americans and that it was actually led by violent left-wing protestors trying to make Trump look bad. There's simply nothing to cure stupidity at this stage; accept it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump has put out a statement claiming that people donated MANY TIMES, sometimes they were so eager to donate that they gave too much and out of kindness they refunded some (1%) payments. The man just cannot stop telling lies!

https://twitter.com/RSBNetwork/status/1379155062325456907?s=19

He's also called for a boycott of coca cola but what's this he has tried to hide behind a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The New York Times are reporting that Matt Gaetz asked Donald trump for a preemptive blanket pardon for him and trumps allies prior to him leaving office which in light of what is happening to gaetz at the moment is interesting. You could make the argument that he knew what was coming down the track and tried to hide it by including everyone in a pardon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not sure how much credit to give that story.

If Gaetz looked for a pardon why would Teump not give one, clearly Gaetz would be an ally for the future and could be relied upon be helpblead a 2024 reelection bid?

If the story is true, then I can only assume that Trump felt it a step too far that Gaetz was in too much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Leroy42 wrote: »

If Gaetz looked for a pardon why would Teump not give one, clearly Gaetz would be an ally for the future and could be relied upon be helpblead a 2024 reelection bid?

If the story is true, then I can only assume that Trump felt it a step too far that Gaetz was in too much trouble

If Trump can pardon murdering war criminals, there's no such thing as too much trouble.
    I guess what Gaetz did probably wasn't appalling enough* or not perpetrated against minorities**. Maybe he didn't have the necessary funds to grease the wheels of the old pardon machine.
    Whatever the reason, it has everything to do with either generating calculated outrage or cash. Morals don't enter into it.

*Provoke outrage and "stick it to the libtards", always good fodder for the knuckledraggers that form his base.
    ** Minorities don't count as people, everything that happens to them is "their own fault" in the mind of republicans and fine and dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭serfboard

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't have the necessary funds to grease the wheels of the old pardon machine.
    Is anyone else surprised, as I am, that Donald Trump didn't grant more pardons? I'd have expected him to grant hundreds, if not thousands.

Here is a list of Presidents by pardons granted. Trump is actually second from the bottom (George HW Bush). The fact that he was a one termer (so far!) explains some of his numbers, but JFK, for instance, was in office for half the time, and granted three times the number that Trump did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

serfboard wrote: »
    Is anyone else surprised, as I am, that Donald Trump didn't grant more pardons? I'd have expected him to grant hundreds, if not thousands.

Here is a list of Presidents by pardons granted. Trump is actually second from the bottom (George HW Bush). The fact that he was a one termer (so far!) explains some of his numbers, but JFK, for instance, was in office for half the time, and granted three times the number that Trump did.

I think once it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to "self-pardon" his selfish narcissism kicked in - "If I can have it , then no one can!!!"

Also - I suspect that his legal team explained to him that if he pardoned someone for something that he might have also been involved in , they could no longer refuse to testify under the 5th amendment and as such would put him at major risk..

Leroy42 wrote: »

Well the credit is that the congressman in question was on Fox News in November saying that then president trump should give pardons to all his allies(including him) so it’s public record that Matt gaetz was talking about it.

Also, given that his friend was charged in august of last year, it’s not beyond belief that Matt gaetz was aware how that may put him in legal trouble. Tomorrow his friend in back in court where it’s reported that more charges will be brought.

With Trump it's definitely about the "quality", rather than quantity of pardons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I would expect that trump put a fee on his pardons

duploelabs wrote: »
    I would expect that trump put a fee on his pardons

There was reports of six figures being asked for.

I see that Mitch McConnell is telling corporations to stay out of politics. I assume following on from that statement he’ll be returning the money he got from those same corporations and won’t accept any going forward ?

Oh and in another episode of Matt gaetz doing stupid **** he’s reportedly been investigated together with another friend who is a “marijuana entrepreneur” and a hand doctor who Mr gaetz was reportedly trying to install as the surgeon general of Florida at one point for trips to Barbados.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I see that Mitch McConnell is telling corporations to stay out of politics. I assume following on from that statement he’ll be returning the money he got from those same corporations and won’t accept any going forward ?

Oh and in another episode of Matt gaetz doing stupid **** he’s reportedly been investigated together with another friend who is a “marijuana entrepreneur” and a hand doctor who Mr gaetz was reportedly trying to install as the surgeon general of Florida at one point for trips to Barbados.

Well they hired a conspiracy theory believing uber driver to be their covid data scientist after firing the one who wouldn't manipulate the stats, so why did the hand doctor not get the surgeon general gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Considering the 'marijuana entrepreneurs' I've dealt with locally, they wouldn't be the most reputable of people.
    Link to the article
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/matt-gaetz-bahamas-trip-federal-probe-sex-trafficking/

And it seems that the friend of Matt gaetz Joel Greenberg who was due in court today appears to be willing to cut a deal and spill the beans. Oh it’s going to get a lot worse and Donald trump did his usual “he denied it” line yesterday evening which as we know means zero in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

And it seems that the friend of Matt gaetz Joel Greenberg who was due in court today appears to be willing to cut a deal and spill the beans. Oh it’s going to get a lot worse and Donald trump did his usual “he denied it” line yesterday evening which as we know means zero in reality.

Probably the best advisable line for Trump to follow if one was to suppose his A.G Barr let him know in the last months of their partnership that the DOJ/FBI were investigating Gaetz and that Gaetz would be a direct [complicit] threat to him if he assisted him in avoiding criminal charges.

The Trump organization has hired a new criminal defence lawyer, Don Fischetti, to represent it in the Manhatton DA's investigation of the firm. There's a chance of a wrinkle caused by the hire as he's [coincidentally] a former law partner of a [former private practice lawyer] Mark Pomerantz now on the DA's investigation team.

Meantime Matt Gaetz has hired Marc Mukasey as his defence lawyer. Mr Mukasey is presently defending the Trump organisation in an ongoing criminal investigation case and reportedly has protege-ties with Rudy Giuliani.

Ta to DublinMeath for copping on my error. It is Marc.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    The Trump organization has hired a new criminal defence lawyer, Don Fischetti, to represent it in the Manhatton DA's investigation of the firm. There's a chance of a wrinkle caused by the hire as he's [coincidentally] a former law partner of a [former private practice lawyer] Mark Pomerantz now on the DA's investigation team.

Meantime Matt Gaetz has hired Mark Mukasey as his defence lawyer. Mr Mukasey is presently defending the Trump organisation in an ongoing criminal investigation case and reportedly has protege-ties with Rudy Giuliani.

Mark mukasey ? Besides being a trump organisation lawyer now, did he at one stage give a really bizarre press conference or have I him confused with someone else. I know trump lawyers and bizarre press conferences isn’t narrowing it down but that name rings a bell for some reason.

Mark mukasey ? Besides being a trump organisation lawyer now, did he at one stage give a really bizarre press conference or have I him confused with someone else. I know trump lawyers and bizarre press conferences isn’t narrowing it down but that name rings a bell for some reason.

Quite possible, but Marc not Mark? He seems to have been involved in a lot of legal stuff around trump, such as the court martial case of Ed Gallagher, to representing Ken Kurson until he got his pardon from trump. Doesn't appear to be like powell however.

Apologies if already posted/discussed but don't think that it was.

Appears that more evidence of trump appointees interference with the CDC and their reporting of covid coming to light including doing so to try and help him with the election

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/trump-officials-bragged-about-pressuring-cdc-to-alter-covid-reports-emails-reveal-.html

Mark Mukasey [NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE MARC MUKASEY ABOVE IN MY LAST POST] was US AG in 2008 when he held/told a conference to say he was asking for the US Govt to be given the power to carry out phone tapping without warrant, on the basis of a "unmonitored terrorist phone call. It seems the judicial committee showed an interest back then in looking into his suggestion. One thing about the unmonitored terrorist phone call is that it may have been monitored [though knowledge not widely disseminated] which could explain how he became aware of the "unmonitored" phone call existence. Sounds like how Trump treated knowledge best kept secret.

Online data about weird press conferences he held show he held several.

https://www.eff.org/ar/deeplinks/2008/04/more-questions-swirl-around-mukaseys-emotional-ple

The Matt Gaetz lawyer Marc Mukasey is the lawyer who successfully defended the former Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher against charges related to war crimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oh dear...
    A federal judge ruled Tuesday that a broad non-disclosure agreement that Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign required employees to sign is unenforceable.

U.S. District Court Judge Paul Gardephe’s ruling generally steered clear of the constitutional issues presented by such agreements in the context of political campaigns. Instead, the judge — an appointee of President George W. Bush — said the sweeping, boilerplate language the campaign compelled employees to sign was so vague that the agreement was invalid under New York contract law.

The practice continued into Trump’s presidency, despite warnings from First Amendment advocates that it was unconstitutional to demand that public employees swear an oath of secrecy. Precisely who at the White House was required to sign such agreements and what they covered remains something of a mystery.
    I guess hiring only the best people by Trump once again shows a sever flaw when you use Trump's definition of best; that nasty reality keeps coming back and telling Trump "No!".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

(CNN)"On Monday, a cohort of former Trump administration officials launched the America First Policy Institute, a think tank organization aimed at promoting "liberty, free enterprise, national greatness, American military superiority, foreign-policy engagement in the American interest, and the primacy of American workers," according to its website."

Well, you know what they say, you can't spell 'America First Policy Institute' without F.A.S.C.I.S. or T.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    (CNN)"On Monday, a cohort of former Trump administration officials launched the America First Policy Institute, a think tank organization aimed at promoting "liberty, free enterprise, national greatness, American military superiority, foreign-policy engagement in the American interest, and the primacy of American workers," according to its website."

Well, you know what they say, you can't spell 'America First Policy Institute' without F.A.S.C.I.S. or T.

Imagine if Germany founded such a body.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Imagine if Germany founded such a body.

Indeed.

That mention of "national greatness and American military superiority" is frankly horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, you can rest assured it's just a pretense to better extort desperate Americans for money. It pretends to offer policies that put the interests of Americans first which is attractive, but it will never deliver that.

• Advertisement

The government have their first guilty plea associated with the events of January 6th at the capitol and also a defendant who is reported to have flipped. I see that Matt Gaetz had his iPhone taken from him in December by the feds under the trump justice dept and the GOP are doing the duck and weave when asked about him or it’s radio silence. You’d think they’d he singing like canaries but it’s silence.

Advertisement