Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to turn for help with mental health issue?

• 24-02-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I would love some advice. I have been dealing with a mental health issue for a while now. I hate to say what the issue is because it will sound extraordinarily petty and possibly immature. Which is probably why I have been trying to ignore it and bury it but it keeps resurfacing.

So, here goes.. Where can I get some help for body image obsession?

My head is wrecked nearly constantly thinking things about myself and then add guilt to that for being so self-obsessed. I've had nights where I haven't been able to sleep because my head is buzzing. I have tried to ignore it, bury it and sometimes for a while I think it's working but it's a terrible plan. It just seems to cause a buildup that then bursts. And it's getting worse. I have self harmed in the past and have recently entertained thoughts of doing it again. I haven't. I haven't done anything but it scares me how much worse and worse this is getting.

I'm sorry, I've rambled enough. Thanks to anyone who has read this whole thing! I feel like the answer is probably obvious but my head isn't right at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are struggling.. but well done for recognising that you need help.
    Do not feel that your issues are petty/immature.. body image issues can be v deep routed and crippling to deal with... not to mention self harming.. you do not need to deal with this on your own..
    TBH I really think you should go to see your GP - they will hopefully put you in touch with the right professionals like, mental health, counselling etc..
    In the mean time, maybe you could try writing down your feelings/thoughts - what ever comes into your mind.. that can be very cathartic..
    Take care of you.. and stay connected..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you so much sporina. I appreciate your kindness. The gp is definitely a good suggestion, I'm just so embarrassed. Our gp is a lovely man but if it were possible I'd go to a completely new gp and ask for a referral. But GPS aren't taking on new patients due to covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

Sorry to hear what you're going through. First port of call would be your GP they can hopefully get you in touch with local services

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP, go talk to your GP. I felt the same as you. I had really bad issues with body image and food. I'm still so embarrassed I won't even post them!

Problem is my health was starting to be effected. I'm with my gp 20+ years. He's so lovely, but like you I keep things to the clinical problem at hand and would never have dreamed of saying anything to him.

Last Friday I was with him and finally opened up. He was kind, caring, non judgemental and gave me a clear plan on where to go.

Don't be afraid to talk to your GP, you're not on your own and they will treat you with respect. All they want is to help you with your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yup gp is first port of call, dont be embarrassed by all of this, be grateful and thankful to yourself for realising you need help, therapy has been one of the best things I've ever done, best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I don’t want to say too much but I have issues and finally went to my gp a few years back, he was great and totally non judgemental, the fact you know there is a problem and know you need help is half the battle, good luck and be kind to yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Your GP sees and hears people's physical and emotional problems all day, every day. It's basically their job! They should absolutely be your starting point.

50808 - Text about it is a service provided by the HSE

And This Thread stickied at the top of the Forum might have some links that you find helpful.

But do not be afraid to speak to your GP. They are your primary care provider and will be/should be involved in, or at least aware of your recovery regardless of where you are getting your help from.

God, thank you all so much. For sharing your experiences and for the links. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and speak to gp. Like I said, he is a lovely man so I'm not worried about that. Just cringing myself through the floor!

You are very welcome OP - and I echo all the advice that others have kindly given you on here..

There is absolutely nothing for you to worry about in going to your GP.. and as you said your GP is a lovely man so that makes it a bit easier.. I am sure he will be nothing but supportive, non judgemental and pro active.

Mental health problems are equally as valid as physical health problems ie, sore throat, etc... (also if your problems are left unresolved, they could turn into physical problems).

There are soooo many struggling with mental health problems, so you are not alone there.. this has been highlighted even more of late due to covid etc.. and your GP will probably have lots of patients on his books with problems of a similar nature.

So glad that you are going to bite the bullet and go to see him... the very best of luck... and be kind and gentle with yourself.. x

If it helps prepare what you want to say. Write/type it out in bullet points if it helps you get your thoughts together and so you say all that you want to.

I know its hard, but don't feel embarrassed. I bet once you've prepared it and gone over it a couple of times before you go in you will lose the embarrassment a bit.

He will listen to understand where you're coming from. Tell him you are uncomfortable talking about it - that's all part of him getting a better take on where you're at.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Bodywhys are a great organisation too. This probably isn't an appropriate case for mental health referral but maybe primary care counselling or private options locally, most over Zoom these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its not petty or immature at all, it could be a form of OCD or body dysmorphia or something else, either way its something you should take seriously. Body image issues are only ever talked about in terms of eating disorders, theres little to no information about other conditions relating to body image and mental health.Id echo what others have posted here and suggest counselling, id also suggest speaking to your gp, they can refer you somewhere or recommend appropriate treatment.
    If youre active on social media & like allot of pages relating to beauty, body image, dieting etc or if these are things you sometimes google, you might get allot of adds & sponsored posts relating to this. One thing id really recommend doing is adjusting your recommended adverts on google & social media and unliking/unfollowing any pages that could be triggering. I had to do this myself as I was constantly getting adds that were triggering for my own body image issues. Just a suggestion, it may or may not relate to you.

Its not petty or immature at all, it could be a form of OCD or body dysmorphia or something else, either way its something you should take seriously. Body image issues are only ever talked about in terms of eating disorders, theres little to no information about other conditions relating to body image and mental health.Id echo what others have posted here and suggest counselling, id also suggest speaking to your gp, they can refer you somewhere or recommend appropriate treatment.
    If youre active on social media & like allot of pages relating to beauty, body image, dieting etc or if these are things you sometimes google, you might get allot of adds & sponsored posts relating to this. One thing id really recommend doing is adjusting your recommended adverts on google & social media and unliking/unfollowing any pages that could be triggering. I had to do this myself as I was constantly getting adds that were triggering for my own body image issues. Just a suggestion, it may or may not relate to you.

great advice - would never have thought of this.. hope your doing ok now AF12

No that is a good idea AiryFairy. You're right, one bad afternoon of googling triggering things and that's all you see on your Facebook feed from then on! I actually bought a bundle of a certain product just because I was bombarded with so many ads for them, I just thought - why not? (because they're useless and you knew they'd be useless, that's why not!)

I'll check out bodywhys too. I feel like a bit of an imposter on eating disorder websites. Like, they have a right to help and I don't. I'm not sure why, it doesn't make sense when you think about it at all. I have to remember that my thinking definitely can be distorted and unreliable.

Thanks again everyone for the help. Hopefully I'll be back here soon telling you all I've been to the doctor and... whatever comes next. A referral maybe? In the meantime, thanks ♥

Hello everyone, I hope it's okay to come back with a bit of an update. I eventually went to the gp - it wasn't the 'main' gp I saw in the end - and was referred to the mental health services at the hospital. The lady (coordinator?) couldn't have been more lovely and that day I left with a prescription and the promise of follow up care.

It was a few weeks after that I spoke to the main doctor (again not sure if 'main' is the right term). I'm sure originally it was supposed to be a counselling session but it got relegated to a phonecall. Unfortunately it wasn't a great phonecall. The doctor extended my prescription and suggested I go to Weight Watchers if I'm concerned about my weight. So I am going to back to the gp to see if there is any other avenue I can persue. Honestly I think therapy of some sort, maybe cbt?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far. I wish I had a happier update but I feel like I've been knocked back to square minus one. But I will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hello everyone, I hope it's okay to come back with a bit of an update. I eventually went to the gp - it wasn't the 'main' gp I saw in the end - and was referred to the mental health services at the hospital. The lady (coordinator?) couldn't have been more lovely and that day I left with a prescription and the promise of follow up care.

It was a few weeks after that I spoke to the main doctor (again not sure if 'main' is the right term). I'm sure originally it was supposed to be a counselling session but it got relegated to a phonecall. Unfortunately it wasn't a great phonecall. The doctor extended my prescription and suggested I go to Weight Watchers if I'm concerned about my weight. So I am going to back to the gp to see if there is any other avenue I can persue. Honestly I think therapy of some sort, maybe cbt?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far. I wish I had a happier update but I feel like I've been knocked back to square minus one. But I will try again.

Sorry to hear that, mental health services arent great at the best of times. AFAIK HSE therapists arent seeing clients face to face right now, its all phonecalls.
    The doctor suggested weightwatchers.. are you concerned about your weight?

sooo great to hear that you have reached out for help - fantastic - well done you - that took courage.

By main dr do you mean the main psychiatrist? and not gp?

has anyone mentioned therapy/counselling? weight watchers? are you over wt? none the less, sounds to me like its counselling you need to deal with your struggles..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

Hi, how are you doing? Is everything alright?

Mod Note

Hi uiolfg

Welcome to the Personal Issues Forum. Posters are asked when replying to threads here not to ask the OP for updates as it puts pressure on them to return to the thread when perhaps they do not wish to.

Also, when replying to threads in this forum posters are asked to offer constructive advice to an OP to help them resolve their issue, as opposed to the one liner approach you have taken across a few threads this morning.

The Charter can be found here and you might take a look at it before replying to any further threads to ensure your posts are inline with it.

Thanks

HS

Advertisement