Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 101 - Know your rucks from your mauls!

Comments

From the bit when you said.....

No issue with a player going to ground if he wishes :pac:

I meant I've no idea where my thought thath you couldn't jusy go to ground came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I meant I've no idea where my thought thath you couldn't jusy go to ground came from.

Still interesting as you're handling the ball on the ground, not having been tackled. Is ball placement only allowed in a tackle?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i've vague memories of it. I think he might have had an issue with setting up a ruck if that's what we did, as there was no tackle maybe illegal offside. if one of my players took the ball and ran with it after i placed it , we might have gotten away with it and the ref might have just given me a withering look (deserved).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

i've vague memories of it. I think he might have had an issue with setting up a ruck if that's what we did, as there was no tackle maybe illegal offside. if one of my players took the ball and ran with it after i placed it , we might have gotten away with it and the ref might have just given me a withering look (deserved).

Yeah.. You can't do a "Training session" style thing where the ball carrier drops to ground and you bridge on to them creating a ruck without any contact from the opposition , that's effectively sealing off and preventing fair contest.

If you fall on the ground untouched as it were , the opposition have to have fair access to be able to play the ball.

i think he might have mentioned bridgeing but i couldn't swear it wasn't truck and trailer so i didn't mention anything earlier. I knew i was bending the rules either way. I've looked up truck and trailer this morning . knew it before but refreshed . so many rules in rugby but you get them after a while

• Advertisement

It's a while since I refereed, but there is a general prohibition on doing anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship (Law 9.27):

"A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship" It would be within the ref's discretion to apply that (sanction penalty kick).

In any event, Law 13 states:

"Principle: The game is played only by players who are on their feet.

1. Players who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball must immediately (a) get up with the ball, or (b) play (but not kick) the ball, or (c) release the ball.

2. Once the ball is played or released, players on the ground must immediately either move away from the ball or get up.

3. A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must (a) allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball, (b) not play the ball, (c) not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent."

Sanction is PK for all contraventions. Law 14 deals with Tackle separately.

So there is nothing specifically to prevent a player going to ground voluntarily. If they do so, pending actions by another player there is nothing to create an offside line and no tackle therefore no gate. If the player complied with Law 13 but in the meantime a ruck formed over the ball (Law 15 - a ruck is formed when at least one player from each teom are in contact on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground) this would generate an offside line governed by Law 15 etc.

However, I would referee a player who goes to ground voluntarily very strictly, as it is not positive play. So I would require them to get up, play it or release the ball and move away, quite literally, immediately. I would be very harsh if there was any suspicion of causing an obstruction to other players as a result of their actions.

If you had other players come in over the player who goes to ground, making one side of a ruck over the ball as you describe then that's highly likely to cause an obstruction independently of what the player who went to ground does. Penalty Kick, subject to any advantage if an opposing player does manage to secure the ball.

If they do this but the ball is played away quickly ("immediately") and no obstruction takes place, then play on.

good explanation , sensible . i've never 'seen' it done before except by myself . I'd just go for poor sportsmanship or maybe ignore it if the ball is picked up by either side immediately. Another thing I got caught out for in training is not making sure the tackler goes to ground with me . Sneaky/Crafty bugger tackles me but lets me go ground and manages to stay on his feet. if he's on his side of the pitch he can immediately jackal me for the ball. feels like getting done over , as it is. Thats what training is for i suppose.

Another thing I got caught out for in training is not making sure the tackler goes to ground with me . Sneaky/Crafty bugger tackles me but lets me go ground and manages to stay on his feet. if he's on his side of the pitch he can immediately jackal me for the ball. feels like getting done over , as it is. Thats what training is for i suppose.

Sure is.

If you have support players close by they should deal with players trying to take the ball from you. If not you have to attempt to take and manage the contact on the best terms possible for your team. You could fight to keep your feet until they are closer, and it will often be advantageous to force tacklers to commit to going to ground with you so that he must release and regain his feet before playing for the ball, rather than letting them kind of brush you off down to the ground, retaining their feet themselves.

You can't pull him off his feet as he tries to disengage though. That would be a penalty if spotted.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.... Another thing I got caught out for in training is not making sure the tackler goes to ground with me . Sneaky/Crafty bugger tackles me but lets me go ground and manages to stay on his feet. if he's on his side of the pitch he can immediately jackal me for the ball. feels like getting done over , as it is. Thats what training is for i suppose.

if you continue to fight through the tackle you are more likely to get the tackler to end up in a position where they are either on your side of the ball, or in a position where they need to readjust to immediately jackal.

its difficult to do so if your a smaller guy as you risk being held up for a maul turn over, or risk being pushed back and lose the gainline... but those are things you can work on with body work. To be honest some wrestling or even judo training is very useful here to use your and your tacklers weight to manipulate the contact

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Couple of sin bin questions.
    1. Does a player have to wait for a break in play when the 10 minutes are up or can they run straight on?

2. A player is yellow carded on the 71st minute, play is still going a minute into the red. Can the carded player rejoin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

He can only come back on when there’s a break in play, and only with the permission of the ref. In top level matches, the 4th official will liaise with the ref to let him know that the time’s up.

Once the clock goes red (80:00), play continues until the ball goes dead; effectively til it goes into touch or there’s a scrum infringement. Once that happens, it’s game over.
    However, if someone commits a penalty infringement, then the game isn’t over; the infringement has to be penalised. So if the sin bin clock has elapsed, then that’s a break in which the guy can return to play. If the non-infringing team opts to kick for touch, then they get to have their line out, so again, the game isn’t over.

In the 6 Nations a few years ago, there was a match between (I think) France and Wales that went on til about 101 minutes. There was at least 1 guy sin binned after the 80 minutes, but he got back on before the match ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

flazio wrote: »
    Couple of sin bin questions.
    1. Does a player have to wait for a break in play when the 10 minutes are up or can they run straight on?

2. A player is yellow carded on the 71st minute, play is still going a minute into the red. Can the carded player rejoin?
    1. They may only return with the permission of the referee.

2. Yes they can return if 10 minutes of the sin bin has been completed and a suitable break in play that does not end the game has taken place which can only be the awarding of a penalty as if there is reason for a scrum/lineout etc then the game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Another thing I got caught out for in training is not making sure the tackler goes to ground with me . Sneaky/Crafty bugger tackles me but lets me go ground and manages to stay on his feet. if he's on his side of the pitch he can immediately jackal me for the ball. feels like getting done over , as it is.

Just a thought on this - if the tackler doesn't go to ground with you, then is it not likely to be a "not held" situation where the ball carrier can try and regain their feet without releasing the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

blackwhite wrote: »
    Just a thought on this - if the tackler doesn't go to ground with you, then is it not likely to be a "not held" situation where the ball carrier can try and regain their feet without releasing the ball?

If the tackle isn't completed, and he doesn't go to ground with you, then yep, just jump up and keep going.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

blackwhite wrote: »
    theintern wrote: »
    If the tackle isn't completed, and he doesn't go to ground with you, then yep, just jump up and keep going.

Not exactly - The "completion of the tackle" has more to do with the status of the ball carrier than the Tackler

The law says the following
    For a tackle to occur, the ball-carrier is held and brought to ground by one or more opponents.
    • Being brought to ground means that the ball-carrier is lying, sitting or has at least one knee on the ground or on another player who is on the ground.
    • Being held means that a tackler must continue holding the ball-carrier until the ball-carrier is on the ground

So the tackler can remain on their feet and still complete the tackle requiring the ball carrier to release the ball , equally the tackler has to remove their hands before trying to play the ball though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sattwa06

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not exactly - The "completion of the tackle" has more to do with the status of the ball carrier than the Tackler

The law says the following

So the tackler can remain on their feet and still complete the tackle requiring the ball carrier to release the ball , equally the tackler has to remove their hands before trying to play the ball though.

~~~

To be pedantic, if he doesn't go to ground with the tackled player, then technically he isn't a 'tackler' as defined in Law 14, he is considered as an 'other player' in the tackle area.

In saying that his obligations are much the same as a tackler, (release the ball carrier/ play the ball on your feet / from your own side/ etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

Good points above, I was assuming the 'tackler' had released the player, not that he just hadn't gone to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭BK5

Say an attacking team kicks a cross field ball and you have an attacking winger and a defending winger going for it. The ball drops behind the try line and in trying to catch it the ball bounces off the attacking players hands and goes forward, while still in the air the attacker catches and grounds the ball. Is this a try or a knock on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Try so long as he/she regathers the ball before it touches the ground after his/her initial touch.

The ground or anything else - If the ball touched the defender in the air that would also count as a knock-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Question on today's game. When Sexton tried to kick the penalty to touch, the NZ player jumped from an in-touch position to play the ball in the air and then land in the field of play. I always thought this was considered out of touch and to do this correctly you had to come from an in-field position and not be touching the ball when you land in-touch.

No, the rule states that a player can jump "from within or without" the playing area and catch the ball and prevent the ball from being in touch, even if it looks like it's broken the plane of the touchline.

It was a change to the rules in or around 2018 I think.

moved

Can anyone tell me if the laws around hitting a retreating 'accidentally offside' player have changed?

So for example, there is a ruck formed and the 9 from Team A is at the back of the ruck waiting to take the ball out.

A player from Team B is on the wrong side of the ball - not in the ruck but retreating from a previous phase.

You would occasionally see a 9 intentionally hit the player for the penalty (intentionally / cynically), but I can't really remember it happening much anymore even to the degree where I've seen 9's delay release to ensure they didn't hit the retreating player.

I remember one or two instances where a ref wasn't happy with what the 9 had done but applying the rules. But it seems to have drifted out of the game as an act of 'dark arts' if you want to call it that.

Have the laws changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Nothing specific in Law to penalise same. That said, if a dummy half made a habit of it then a referee could find something under Law 9 to remedy ungentlemanly behaviour.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

As a former scrum half, it always really frustrated me when referees penalised scrum halves for what they believe are 9's deliberately passing into an offside player.

If you're offside, you should be down on the ground, not impeding play. If you're standing up and retreating back to your own side, and you run in the scrum half's passing lane to either side of the ruck, you should be penalised in my opinion. Otherwise, you're cutting off one side of the field to the 9 and taking an option.

When a 9 throws it into a player who is blatantly in an offside position he is essentially saying "I can't pass this ball in this direction because this player is standing in my passing lane". It doesn't matter if the 9 wouldn't have intended to go that way ordinarily, you're entitled to have both sides of the field open to you.

I didn't realise it *was* penalised, I thought the penalty was awarded against the retreating player.

I just remember from time to time a 9 would milk a penalty by passing into an offside retreating player a bit cynically, and you don't see it anymore but turns out I had the law backwards.

It's one of those issues where the ref will use his discretion and decide it case by case, and you do see scenarios where if the ref thinks the scrum half is trying to buy a penalty then he won't give it him, and it usually results in a stalled attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Occasionally Stringer used to do that solely to kill not gain an advantage and to take the penalty kick. Useful to do late in a game when the clock is the 16th man against your team.

• Advertisement

Lol.

Advertisement