Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

As I said - avoiding explaining your attempt at a point.

You made an utterly pointless insinuation in some vain attempt to shift the focus from Dublin- it failed as you had no point & nothing to back it up.

The fact that you have spent over a page backtracking and trying to blame others for “taking it too seriously” is behaviour that needs to be called out for what it is.

I wouldn’t take too much solace in the characters liking your ‘woe is me’ nonsense

Aye, never heard of those usernames around here, they seem to be willing to overlook logic in favour of coming down on the side of the point that analysts from Kerry should, apparently, not call Dublin out for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

As I said - avoiding explaining your attempt at a point.

You made an utterly pointless insinuation in some vain attempt to shift the focus from Dublin- it failed as you had no point & nothing to back it up.

The fact that you have spent over a page backtracking and trying to blame others for “taking it too seriously” is behaviour that needs to be called out for what it is.

I wouldn’t take too much solace in the characters liking your ‘woe is me’ nonsense

I'm not sure what you mean by 'woe is me' tbh.

This was the most coherent reply to what I said and made the point that the lads are journalists these days who offer an opinion on GAA. I've already accepted that point of view, when I was viewing them as Kerry GAA men when I made my original post.
    Harder for other countries to do what Dublin did, I think there was only 7-8 players probably all from within 5 k of the training ground. For Kerry to get such a number or any other county you would need players to travel 20+ km. I doubt if this was once off. The ex Kerry players you speak about are now virtually sport journalists. They are paid to give opinions. The papers and meadows that pay them expect them to comment on things like that. If it happened with the Kerry set up they would have to comment as well and be critical of what happened.

I still dont see the need for lads like Sean Kelly to be offering his opinion on things but seems I'm in the minority.

Fair enough gooch and Tomas are paid to give their opinion on such matters now. I can see that after it was pointed out, as I've already said in a previous post.

You disagreed with a post which is fine. We wont always agree on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

dobman88 wrote: »

This was the most coherent reply to what I said and made the point that the lads are journalists these days who offer an opinion on GAA. I've already accepted that point of view, when I was viewing them as Kerry GAA men when I made my original post.

I still dont see the need for lads like Sean Kelly to be offering his opinion on things but seems I'm in the minority.

Fair enough gooch and Tomas are paid to give their opinion on such matters now. I can see that after it was pointed out, as I've already said in a previous post.

Sean Kelly is a former President of the GAA, a Fine Gael politician who is a member of the European parliament. Again he had to respond if asked the question. If the Kerry or Mayo team was caught training and Leo Vradaker was asked about it he would have to comment. Michael Martin I am sure had to comment on the Cork team getting caught training.

This was a collective training session and Dessie Farrell while not being there it seems was aware of it. This was lunacy especially after what happened to the Down and Cork managers. I expect it was the tip of the iceberg regarding collective sessions organized by Dublin Team management at this and other venues to see how players were getting along and the level of fitness. This may be why the Dublin county board was so fast to hand down the punishment. Some may be afraid of a full investigation and what it may or may not throw up. There are other stories circulating about other collective Dublin team sessions that were happening since early March. It hard to believe that this was a one off incident that a journalist and cameraman just happened to catch them. It was obiviously one of a number of sessions and that is how they got caught.

It very hard for any individual in the public arena not to respond to a question if asked. If you do not answer it you may be seen to be condoning it. Journalists will seek out people to ask there opinion on the matter. I am surprised John Horan has not commented on it. Is he aware of the other sessions that happened. Is this the reason he has not released a statement regarding his knowledge or lack of it.

You came on here casting aspersions on ex Kerry players and officials and casting innuendo's regarding why they commented on a incident that is all of the Dublins management and teams own making. Do yourself a favour and do not comment any further on it.

Slava Ukrainii

Some may be afraid of a full investigation and what it may or may not throw up...

When it started would be interesting. I think "we only started cheating just before we were caught, honestly" is always a lame one in sport. People are entitled to be sceptical, it can cast a cloud of suspicion over a lot more of the legacy.

Though I guess if it happened in 2020, Mayo would be entitled to be more aggrieved than Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

You have made a complete clown of yourself here with your attempts up insinuate something that you have no idea of and now you’re trying to shift responsibility for your inability to make a coherent point onto other posters?

Very odd behaviour mate.

Is the approach here to try excuse Dublins behaviour by engaging in completely made up whataboutery?

Relax yourself.
    In the same way Tyrone used the puke football comments of pat Spillane as ammunition against Kerry this talk will inevitably be laid at 'Kerry's' door. That's the gaa and the amateurish state of it's journalism. There will be those out there who will see it as hypocrisy and they'll be looking to see if Kerry are squeaky clean now.
    It's naive to say they couldn't avoid the question. Evading questions is Kelly's job title and the other two are established enough to ignore this kerfuffle.They're fine and quiet on many many things they could comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Relax yourself.
    In the same way Tyrone used the puke football comments of pat Spillane as ammunition against Kerry this talk will inevitably be laid at 'Kerry's' door. That's the gaa and the amateurish state of it's journalism. There will be those out there who will see it as hypocrisy and they'll be looking to see if Kerry are squeaky clean now.
    It's naive to say they couldn't avoid the question. Evading questions is Kelly's job title and the other two are established enough to ignore this kerfuffle.They're fine and quiet on many many things they could comment on.

You actually think the Dubs will be using Gooch and Tomas commenting on this event as motivation later in the year?? Has everyone lost their mind around here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

mystic86 wrote: »
    You actually think the Dubs will be using Gooch and Tomas commenting on this event as motivation later in the year?? Has everyone lost their mind around here

You seem to have taken a fairly harmless comment very personally. Not too many others appear to be getting too worked up about it, relax and switch off the internet if it bothers you that much

You will be delighted to know that Sean Kelly and Tomas O Se both have commented on the Monaghan training session. From there comments they have left no door open but that if the Kerry team has done or dose the same that they will be very critical of it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

GAA confirm D1 N and S in the League this year, but there mightn't even be a league final, or indeed single champions. Also, if the hurlers win the Joe McDonagh, they definitely go straight into Leinster, replacing whoever loses a relegation playoff:

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-announce-revised-master-fixtures-calendar-for-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

GAA confirm D1 N and S in the League this year, but there mightn't even be a league final, or indeed single champions. Also, if the hurlers win the Joe McDonagh, they definitely go straight into Leinster, replacing whoever loses a relegation playoff:

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-announce-revised-master-fixtures-calendar-for-2021/

I think the hurlers have a great chance of winning the Joe McDonagh now that Antrim are up in the Liam McCarthy.

Carlow and Westmeath are very capable but Kerry bet both teams last year.

Be great for Kerry hurling to play in the Liam McCarthy I. 2022.

Dual County!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus Christ lads, all this reminiscing on our thread isn't good for the soul.

I'll be missing ye next. :D

Draw made. Hopefully they're not as foolish this year and take it seriously.

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1384035640367480838?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Draw made. Hopefully they're not as foolish this year and take it seriously.

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1384035640367480838?s=19

They took it very seriously last year. Underperformed and got caught out. Lined out negatively to counteract an expected strong running game from Cork and reacted too slowly to the reality of the game as it became clear Cork didnt/couldn't approach game as expected.

Gutted to hear Peter Crowley announce his retirement from Kerry. And with that, any slim chance there might have been of winning the all Ireland this year.

Owes the jersey nothing so hopefully he enjoys a few more years for club and district.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

You don’t walk away from a panel like Kerry unless you feel the effort is not worth it.

He obviously doesn’t think Kerry can win Sam Maguire this year.

I know it states work and injuries but that’s my opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

He's 31, has 10 years intercounty done,

He'did be classed as pushing on in the modern era.

In 10 years time how many will have a decade of intercounty behind them.

Best of luck to him, not easy to get back to full steam after the injury he had

50HX wrote: »
    He's 31, has 10 years intercounty done,

He'did be classed as pushing on in the modern era.

In 10 years time how many will have a decade of intercounty behind them.

Best of luck to him, not easy to get back to full steam after the injury he had

Yeah the brother made the same points but its not a good thing to see lads leaving so early. Should be hitting his prime now with a world of experience. I've no idea what can be done to keep lads going/interested but retiring at 30 is not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

conor05 wrote: »
    /quote]

Can't see past Dublin this year or for the next couple of years so must be tough for fellas to keep going, espec with family, work commitments etc.

Sry, made bags of quoting

Can't see past Dublin this year or for the next couple of years so must be tough for fellas to keep going, espec with family, work commitments etc.

Not necessarily he is a pharmacist so may be very busy since Christmas with work. If he has not kept up with his own fitness the setup of the championship this year may not suit him. He may feel he cannot commit to county level at longer.

Really great servant to Kerry. Only has one AI medal deserved more. A real ballsy players. Tremendous games in a good few of matches against Dublin and Mayo that we lost between 2015-2017. Would rate him as one of the best players we had in the ten years pre injury. If we had him in 2019 I think we might have closed out that game the first day. Even the second day I cannot see him not seeing the risk as Murchan came through

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

conor05 wrote: »
    /quote]

I agree, but it’s mad to even be thinking fellas are more prone to retire because of the dominance of another county. Imagine how lads in early 30s in counties who realistically won’t win a championship must feel every year.
    Have always been blessed in Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

Clap for any man playing inter county past 30 years old now, its not conducive to family or a high achieving job.

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Clap for any man playing inter county past 30 years old now, its not conducive to family or a high achieving job.

Ya look at Jack McCaffrey and he was virtually guaranteed an All Ireland medal, as well as a starting position

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dates ranging between June and December have been given for District Board activities:

Haha, I think we all know what that means! Stephens day final for the lads....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Shocking first half for the Hurlers. Being outplayed all over the field.

Being outworked under the breaks and trying a short passing game that is a recipe for disaster.

Full forward line is getting cleaned out in particular.

Down well in control just before half time 10 points to 6.

Edit: Half time Score: Down 0-11 Kerry 0-9
    Kerry played their best hurling of the half in the 6 minutes of injury time and scored 3 points in a row.

A brilliant 4 minute burst from Kerry where they missed 2 goal chances but scored 2 more has seen Kerry take control.

2-12 to 0-13

Shane Nolan into Full Forward has changed the game.

Massive turnaround from Kerry.

3-13 to 0-13 13 mins into the second half.

4-18 to 0-19 Full Time.

Last puck of the game was a goal from a penalty from the new cynical foul rules.

Shane Nolan had a fantastic second half to drag Kerry back into the game.

Hopefully we see Shane Conway back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And going to Tullamore next week, so they'll know the second-half performance levels will be required for the full game there.

Advertisement