Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheaper online quote than renewal notice with same company

• 20-03-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Can I take out an insurance policy online that is cheaper than my existing policy renewal notice with the same company ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Can I take out an insurance policy online that is cheaper than my existing policy renewal notice with the same company ?

I don’t see why not, although it would be a lot easier to call them and tell them the online quote was cheaper and shame them into giving you an additional discount on top of it ( easier because renewing means you don’t need to send in all those documents again)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

This is what i did this year. Onlie quote was a fee hundred euro cheaper so i went with that instead of renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don’t see why not, although it would be a lot easier to call them and tell them the online quote was cheaper and shame them into giving you an additional discount on top of it ( easier because renewing means you don’t need to send in all those documents again)

You can't shame an insurance company. They know what they are doing when they give higher renewals than new quotes and the person in the call centre doesn't care what you say, the system is what will determine if they can match the new quote.

What I can't understand is why people get worked up over insurance companies giving better deals to new customers when every utility provider in the country does it and no one complains. Shop around for every contract renewal or you'll get screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can't shame an insurance company. They know what they are doing when they give higher renewals than new quotes and the person in the call centre doesn't care what you say, the system is what will determine if they can match the new quote.

What I can't understand is why people get worked up over insurance companies giving better deals to new customers when every utility provider in the country does it and no one complains. Shop around for every contract renewal or you'll get screwed.

If you phone the insurance company and tell them you got a quote lower with the same company they will 100% of the time reduce the renewal price to match it, and if you tell them you got a quote a hundred quid lower with a competitor, they’ll probably offer you a further discount

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you phone the insurance company and tell them you got a quote lower with the same company they will 100% of the time reduce the renewal price to match it, and if you tell them you got a quote a hundred quid lower with a competitor, they’ll probably offer you a further discount

I refuse to do that. If they think I'm going to spend a few hours of my time getting a better quote then go back to them begging for a "favour" to match the quote they can feck off. If you want me to renew with you give me my correct renewal price not one that can suddenly drop a few hundred Euro. If after checking other companies and finding the renewal is the best I've no bother paying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume they would prefer you to renew online so they don't have to pay for a pesky expensive human to talk to you, so the online deal is an enticement to that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I refuse to do that. If they think I'm going to spend a few hours of my time getting a better quote then go back to them begging for a "favour" to match the quote they can feck off. If you want me to renew with you give me my correct renewal price not one that can suddenly drop a few hundred Euro. If after checking other companies and finding the renewal is the best I've no bother paying it.

I have exactly the same approach - no second chance. If I get a cheaper quote myself, the new insurer gets my money.

The company you are already with has the best chance of keeping you, all they have to do is give you their best quote... none of this 'call around and come back to us to negotiate' crap.

If people just went with the lowest quote they get and stop giving their rip off incumbents a second chance to bite the cherry, then ,maybe we could all save some time and money by getting actually realistic and competitive renewal quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with my last 2 renewal quotes. There was none of the dicking about with ridiculous quotes. They actually matched the quotes I was getting from their online system, and their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same here, they went 20 cent cheaper than the fictitious rival quote I gave them.
    They were already the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If there is a question online which asks you to declare your current insurer and you answer correctly, there is nothing to stop you proceeding

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

i had same situation in Oct when renewing, online renewal quote was 100+ cheaper than renewal price they gave me so i rang them and they gave me the online qoute, just ring them and give them the online ref number be done instantly, its like most companies there gonna give new customers a better deal than loyal customers you just gotta call them out on it

betarayjay wrote: »
    i had same situation in Oct when renewing, online renewal quote was 100+ cheaper than renewal price they gave me so i rang them and they gave me the online qoute, just ring them and give them the online ref number be done instantly, its like most companies there gonna give new customers a better deal than loyal customers you just gotta call them out on it

No just move or take the online quote.

By going back and asking them to drop you are encouraging them to charge renewals extra. Why can they magically drop the quote when you get a better one, what has changed in your risk profile bar moving?

No just move or take the online quote.

By going back and asking them to drop you are encouraging them to charge renewals extra. Why can they magically drop the quote when you get a better one, what has changed in your risk profile bar moving?

Well to begin with any quote i got with other companies was more expensive than my current renewal price and the online quote with my current provider was cheaper than renewal offer i received, hence why i just rang them and got the online quote price

betarayjay wrote: »
    Well to begin with any quote i got with other companies was more expensive than my current renewal price and the online quote with my current provider was cheaper than renewal offer i received, hence why i just rang them and got the online quote price

Why not take the online renewal when you put all your details in? Save yourself a phone call and giving the person on the phone the same information again.

Why not take the online renewal when you put all your details in? Save yourself a phone call and giving the person on the phone the same information again.

Jeez dunno mayb fact was just curious for a ball park idea of what i would be looking at, and also done all this in my spare time at work wasn't under pressure to get it sorted hence the lack of rush plus was buying a new car which is why i wanted an idea of how much it'd cost, but it is what it is and its all done now

Advertisement