Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling around Ireland

• 31-03-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm interested in travelling around Ireland in a normal van with private insurance. If I did so would there be any insurance or other problems with carrying any of the following items?:

Removable bed
    Removable chair and table
    Removable shelves
    Removable portapotty
    11.34 Kg (Cylinder can be smaller) propane/butane gas cylinder to supply gas to stove, oven, heater, and 3-way gas fridge.
    If there is a problem with the above gas setup would it be OK to carry a small stove and oven each powered by a small Campingaz cylinder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't get private insurance on a commercial vehicle in Ireland. What you can get is private use on a commercial policy but they ask your profession and it can be hard to get commercial insurance if your job doesn't need a commercial vehicle. If you can get insurance then there's no issue with carrying any of them once they are secured correctly.

You also have to tax the van privately which is done on the old cc system and commercial insurance isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A55A55IN8R

This is untrue - although it is difficult. I rang many insurance companies and eventually got private insurance on a previously labeled commercial vehicle. The broker who insured me eventually was insuremyvan, who were happy to give me a private policy at a reasonable rate. I have the same question about carrying the gas cylinder. The only option I think is to ring your insurer and find out, which I am about to do.

Edit: So I just rang insuremyvan, and they rang my insurer, axa. They advised me that if I was carrying around the gas cylinder all of the time I would not be covered but if I was just dropping the cylinder home I would be covered. I guess that answers that.

Post edited by A55A55IN8R on

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Housefree

Insurance companies don't have check points, it's not illegal to do it. Just don't blow up and you will be grand

Advertisement