Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is bluetit going to build a nest?

Options
  • 31-03-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you are all well.
    I have a bird box in my garden. Pairs of bluetits have nested in this box for a few years.. except last year.
    I have a camera in the box and can see what is going on inside...
    One bluetit has been coming into the box in the evening and sleeping until morning.. then they are gone for most of the day...

There is no moss or any nesting material in the box so far..

Do you think they will nest in the box this Spring...or is it getting too late?

Comments

I think too late

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've noticed quite a lot of variance in when 'my' blue tits start their nest building. It can be as late as the third week of April, or as early as the end of March.

This year they've started building the nest in earnest only 2 or 3 days ago. Last year it was the 20th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks for the replies...

Unless they have a nest elsewhere.. and she /he just sleeps in my birdbox at night?

I think they roosted in this box over the winter too...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I would say there is every chance that they will take up residence in the next couple of weeks. We currently have a great tit doing exactly the same thing and it, or previous tenants have been doing the same every year for the last five years. We actually saw a fairly brutal episode yesterday where a bluetit went in to "vew the property"- one of the GTs went in after it and there was a nasty fight with the GT really going at the BT- I had to turn the TV off as it wasn't pleasant and I was expecting to have to remove a dead BT after. Thankfully no sign of any fatality in or out of the box so it must have been released by the GT. Nature red in tooth and claw etc.

I also spotted a pair of coal tits scope out a niche in a stone wall this morning- they are very interested, but the point is they are only visiting it today, so there is time. There is a link between the trees breaking bud and the beginning of nestbuilding as it needs to be timed so that there are lots of caterpillars eating the new growth by the time the eggs of the nesting pair have hatched. not that the BT pair know this, it is a bit of a gamble I suppose. I think having a camera nestbox set up is a true privilege- hope your pair go well this year!

• Advertisement

Hi! Thanks for the reply..
    Wow that sounds like a serious fight between the GT & BT..
    Yes, nature can be fairly brutal at times...
    Based on the size of the hole in the box.. different species will tend to use it.. the blue tits go for the smaller size holes, next size up is GT.. then sparrows and even bigger species...

If they don’t nest.. it is interesting nonetheless... as then possibly.. one of the pair is using my box to sleep at night...

The camera is really cool... I have a green feathers wired camera and receiver...
    initially I had it set up x2 rooms away from the box and was getting a huge amount of interference..
    So I got a 5m scarf cable and have it connected to An old tv, in the kitchen next to the box...

Best of luck with your great tits.. I would love to see say some photos and / or videos!

Advertisement