Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid Restrictions and Campsites

Options
  • 30-03-2021 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any thoughts on where campsites will fit into the plan for re-opening?

Probably wishful thinking to believe they might fit into 'outdoor amenities', and more likely to be included in hospitality (hotels, B&B's).
    Mostly dependent on inter-travel county I guess.

Any more educated guesses out there as to what might happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say it will be when hotel's and B&B's are open, likely bundled with that phase because of the shared amenities on site.

July would be earliest I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I'd say it will be when hotel's and B&B's are open, likely bundled with that phase because of the shared amenities on site.

July would be earliest I would guess.

Mid June, same as hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

jamesd wrote: »
    Mid June, same as hotels.

But you won't be able to leave the county

Any projections of restrictions easing are speculation with the incentive of telling us what we want to hear.
    The thing I enjoy the most about campers is not needing a campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any projections of restrictions easing are speculation with the incentive of telling us what we want to hear.
    The thing I enjoy the most about campers is not needing a campsite.

We must have matching tinfoil hats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

anyone have any ideas on when CenterParcs Ireland may reopen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

The UK has made a differentiation on 'self contained accommodation' which seems to be a lifeline for camping over there. Will be interesting to see how things play out in NI ... I could make a break for the border.
    supernova5 wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas on when CenterParcs Ireland may reopen again?
    They are taking bookings, if you can find availability. Website says April 21st to re-open, but I'd say like everyone else they are waiting on inter-county travel / hospitality for gov go-ahead. I have a booking for July, which I'm hopeful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

thank you thos

We must have matching tinfoil hats

Natural sceptic.
    I'd claim cynic too but turns out I usually find (>95% of the time I would say) that the hardware I test is over-rated and under-performing so I'll have to settle for pragmatist.

Politicians and media tell us things that makes their jobs easier/more lucrative.
    I've been saying since this time last year thuther side of the woods is after October 2021 because thats the fastest possible time you can develop and rollout a vaccine.

Chase the dangling carrot or take off the blinkers. Decide your level of foresight. Much easier control a populace when you feed them fairytales.

Looks like the Campsites are none the wiser either - thread on Twitter with a few campsites
    https://twitter.com/ClifdenCampsite/status/1381674415881121796

Does seem to suggest that campsites and caravan parks will be treated same as hotels, which is a shame for them and us.

• Advertisement

You'd be amazed how fast you can recuperate the cost of a decent solar system for a van against paying for campsite lecky and throwing a battery at it every 2 years. You know €5 for 2kWh is 15 times more expensive than the national average rate?...

...now if the only reason your autonomous vessel was lacking autonomy was because the electrics can't last a night and you were paying €5 for lecky and €25 to park beside it then it's cost is ~95 times more than the standard rate...

Not that worried about power, but somewhere safe for young kids to run around is more what I'm interested in.

I like mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think we can safely assume that the Irish government will have zero competency to understand that the distancing situation at a campsite is very different from a hotel.

What I'd like to keep an eye on is when we might expect the North to reopen theirs.

MJohnston wrote: »
    What I'd like to keep an eye on is when we might expect the North to reopen theirs.

Yeah, I'm watching this closely - wishing I hadn't VRT'd my new van so soon, keeping the NI plates might have been handy to sneak back up!

The North are saying review dates at 15 April and 13 May, and seems that they will do it in 2 stages, with caravan sites open where shared facilities are still closed, and then a second stage where shared facilities are open. Similar to how some places in the south played it last year, so if you're in a self-sufficient van you're in a better place.

Let's see.

5a116abf-bf4d-4ed1-9112-f2dad1f918b5.png?source=viewer&v=4c1f3877f68a299131531e9bb1b7319e

I love a good pdf.
    I see those for product hardware all the time.

I've come to understand that the more polished they are the further from the truth they can be.
    Why? Because engineers aren't arty and artists don't deal with realistic performance because that'd undermine the "wow factor".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Looks like it could be April 30th:
    https://twitter.com/jp_biz/status/1382573052337225729?s=21

Question is - how far will we in the Republic be able to travel by then?

Advertisement