Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need to leave Bluetooth on all the time for fitness band?

Options
  • 27-06-2020 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I have a new fitness band. It's and Honor band. I have it paired with the phone and I used it tonight for a workout. I like it a lot.

Just wondering, do I need to leave the Bluetooth on, on my phone all the time or does the band sync to the phone when I turn on bluetooth. I didn't find a sync option anywhere in the band or the health app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fitbits only need Bluetooth on while syncing. The data is store on the device until each sync. I’d imagine the Honor is the same. How to sync depends on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Yes, it needs bluetooth to be turned on while syncing. Although I could be mistaken as im using a different brand. Does your brand has a website where you can check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have a huawei gt2 and sometimes the bluetooth disconnects it doesn't impact the watch as the fitness data gets synched when it reconnects. But if your watch doesnt have GPS built in and location / accuracy is important to you then ive seen cases of other watches having holes in the data as teh watch uses the GPS on phone to determine where it is.

On a side point. anyone with the new covid19 app must have bluetooth enabled all the time anyway otherwise the app is pointless and you might as well delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your phone has Bluetooth 4/5 you can leave it on all the time it's low energy designed to work with smart devices. It's probably something else hammering you battery if your noticing quick drain or you might have a small battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Just a quick question on this.....

Does Bluetooth need to be turned on on phone all the time? When I knock it off it automatically comes back on because of the synchronised fitbit.

If it's ok to leave Bluetooth on and it won't affect phones security or performance I'll leave it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

apache wrote: »

Does Bluetooth need to be turned on on phone all the time? When I knock it off it automatically comes back on because of the synchronised fitbit.

If it's ok to leave Bluetooth on and it won't affect phones security or performance I'll leave it on.

I always just turn on bluetooth every now and then and it doesn't effect my watch. It just sync that data no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

OK cool. I can knock it off and just turn it on when I want to sync it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 fitnessDublin

Yes, You need to keep Bluetooth On. Otherwise it will get disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes, You need to keep Bluetooth On. Otherwise it will get disconnected.

It doesn’t need to be connected during use. Only when syncing.

It’s perfectly fine to have Bluetooth permanently enabled on a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

apache wrote: »

Once the Bluetooth isn't set up as visible to all devices there's no security issues. I've my Bluetooth on full time and it never shows up as a battery drain, can get a few days without charge if I don't use the screen much. I only turn it off I've I'm going somewhere where I won't have easy access to a power source and with power banks that's very rare.

Advertisement