Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stressed

• 27-03-2021 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am under a great deal of stress at the moment and would like some advice on how to go about talking with my doctor.

I find it very difficult to open up and talk to doctors and in the past when I have got the courage to talk about stress/anxiety, I end up playing it down along with them and leave with no resolution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Write down what you d like to say to your doc in bullet points, bring this with you. I'm autistic myself and also have add, so I'm extremely forgetful, particularly when in such situations. Try exercise as much as possible also, get as much sleep as you can, and stay away from the usuals, maybe try some yoga and mindfulness. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Advice thanks

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Write down what you d like to say to your doc in bullet points, bring this with you. I'm autistic myself and also have add, so I'm extremely forgetful, particularly when in such situations. Try exercise as much as possible also, get as much sleep as you can, and stay away from the usuals, maybe try some yoga and mindfulness. Best of luck

Thanks. I'll try taking some notes and bring them in.

I don't really know what to say. I won't go in when I'm upset so I go in when I'm feeling alright and then they just think 'oh they're grand' and then I agree with them.

Thanks. I'll try taking some notes and bring them in.

Keep it brief, and take your time in writing it all down, journaling is also generally recommended for such issues, it might help overall, anxiety is horrendous, unfortunately us aspies are born with elevated levels of it, it can be extremely overwhelming at times

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Advice thanks

I believe I have always had mild anxiety, quite bad when I was a child but felt it was under control. Had it bad in my late 20's and early 30s again. I went to one doctor who was filling in and she was lovely. She gave me advice and told me to return if I was still feeling bad but when I went back it was another doctor and she was very cold and brushed my concerns aside so I didn't bring it up with her again.

Lately I just have so much pressure to keep everyone ok and happy. My current gp is very matter of fact. I feel like he gets irritated and thinks I'm just complaining. I spoke to him once a couple of years ago and we concluded I was fine that I just needed better perspective. I will ask to see a different doctor and will start keeping a journal. Thankyou.

theres loads of self help guides on the internet, i find youtube extremely good, you ll probably find many youtube channels beneficial. i regularly check in with these channels, you may not find them beneficial but they maybe a start

it may take some time to find the right channels for you on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Perhaps counselling/therapy might be a better option than your GP? GPs have extremely limited time per patient and as such tend to focus on physical wellness.

Not saying that's right, btw, it just is what it is.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Perhaps counselling/therapy might be a better option than your GP? GPs have extremely limited time per patient and as such tend to focus on physical wellness.

Not saying that's right, btw, it just is what it is.

gp's can be a good starting point towards counselling, my own recommended a good therapist, id always try involve my gp in all my needs, including my psychological needs, of course sometimes this doesnt work out for some

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'd write it down too.. In fact I had to do it only recently. I wrote out what I wanted to say and then shortened it to take out the filler to make it all more efficient. Because I'd read over it and went through it a few times it took out the nerves.

In the end it improved the treatment I was getting because he was able to advise me more directly and to the point of what the problem was and that's really what every one wants, including the GP.

mod: please be aware, links above are actually links to channels on youtube, not videos themselves, some are actually respected mental health channels and might help others

Advertisement